Dean of Extended Studies
DEAN OF EXTENDED STUDIES
Southeast Missouri State University, a dynamic and competitive regional public comprehensive institution located in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean of Extended Studies. The new Dean of Extended Studies is to assume office in January 2020, or as soon thereafter as is possible.
Founded in 1873 as a teacher's college, Southeast Missouri State University has grown into a comprehensive Master's level university that provides student-centered education, with a foundation of liberal arts and sciences, experiential and service-learning opportunities, cutting-edge technology, and exceptional instruction that prepares students for civic responsibility and professional careers.
Named among U.S. News' Best Regional Universities in the Midwest, Southeast Missouri State University has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 1915 and its academic programs hold over 30 individual-program-specific accreditations and certifications. With a total undergraduate and graduate student enrollment of approximately 11,000 Southeast prides itself on offering more than 145 Undergraduate Majors, 100+ Undergraduate Certificates and Minors; and 75+ Graduate Programs. Southeast is also one of five regional institutions in Missouri that participates in a state-wide collaborative with the University of Missouri to offer a Doctorate of Education in Education Leadership (EdD). Over the last ten years, Southeast has made significant capital improvements along with continuing development and implementation of academic programs that positions the University as a leader in serving the region and nation.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean of Extended Studies will develop strategic and innovative partnerships with and among vice presidents and their divisions, other deans and their colleges, faculty, students, staff, and external constituents. The role has an important, external-facing component in that the Dean of Extended Studies will oversee the regional campuses and will provide leadership with the development of industry partnerships to meet the regions workforce needs. Specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Provide entrepreneurial leadership of strategic operations to expand the university’s presence in online, adult, and continuing education;
- Implement innovative, revenue-generating programs that meet workforce needs and demands of the region, state and country;
- Lead collaborative efforts to determine the needs of the university related to distance education, develop and implement solutions;
- Work with colleges and departments to encourage exploration and implementation of strategic initiatives and services to community stakeholders;
- Champion college degree attainment for working adults;
- Lead promotion efforts for Extended Studies operations working in collaboration with Enrollment Management;
- Direct marketing and promotion efforts for non-traditional students, summer sessions, wintersession, off-campus programs, distance learning programs, dual credit programs, contract training programs, and Regional Campus programs;
- Connect students with community stakeholders;
- Supervise and motivate Extended Studies personnel including but not limited to: Director of Southeast Online, Director of Dual Credit, Director of Regional Site Operations;
- Be a consummate professional who embraces a team environment and works with colleagues in a spirit of partnership, transparency, and fiscal responsibility;
- Direct the fiscal operations of Extended Studies;
- Budget planning and resource allocation;
- Conduct cost analyses to ensure self-sustaining and revenue generating operations of Extended Campus, Distance Learning, and the Regional Campuses.
Candidates should submit a cover letter demonstrating how they meet the following required qualifications:
- An earned master’s degree (doctorate preferred) from an accredited university;
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in a University setting involving a majority of the following: distance education, regional campuses, dual credit, continuing education, degree attainment for working adults, workforce development;
- Commitment to the principles of collegiality in governance;
- Commitment to academic excellence;
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse work environment, including working with multicultural populations and an understanding of, and sensitivity to, issues affecting women and minorities.
Southeast Missouri State University seeks candidates who will bring to the role innovation and creativity needed to lead extended studies during a critical time of change in higher education. The Dean of Extended Studies must be an effective and transparent communicator and engage with academic departments and colleges, faculty, and external stakeholders with a collaborative mindset that focuses on the success of our students.
For a complete position profile, please visit: https://semo.edu/hr/deansearch.html
Application Deadline: The position is available January 2020 and will remain open until filled. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by October 15, 2019.
Applications and nominations are to be submitted in confidence to Alissa Vandeven, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply, submit the following items:
- Letter of interest addressing position qualifications
- Current curriculum vitae
- Statement of leadership philosophy
- Names and contact information of five professional references
Southeast Missouri State University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
More search results
Tenured: Professor and Department Head
Texas A&M School of Public Health
Tenured: Professor and Department Head, Epidemiol…
Texas A&M School of Public Health
Vice President for Student Affairs
Pontarelli Professorship in Environmental Sustain…
Dean, College of Health
Ball State University