Chair, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) seeks a dynamic, nationally respected biochemist, biophysicist, or molecular biologist and academic leader to be the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology. UMMS is ranked in the top quartile of research-based medical schools in the value of all grants and contracts, and it consistently ranks among the top ten to fifteen schools in annual intellectual property licensing revenues.
The chair of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology will lead all aspects of the department, and will lead the academic functions of the faculty through the medical school. The Chair and will work directly with Terence Flotte, M.D., dean of the School of Medicine, provost and executive deputy chancellor, to develop and execute a strategic plan for the department that aligns with the strategic plan of UMMS. In addition, the chair will have a demonstrated record of trainee and faculty mentorship and high-quality research. He or she will assure adequate academic and professional staffing of the department, directing and coordinating the recruitment of faculty and administrators.
The Chair will promote teaching, innovation, collegiality, collaboration, and cutting-edge research while making administrative decisions within the established operating philosophy, goals, and objectives of UMMS. The chair will expand an impressive department through collaboration with senior leadership, assuring the highest quality of academic research and achievement throughout the department. The chair will evaluate performance and initiate personnel actions such as merit increases, promotions, disciplinary or similar actions and encourage the professional growth and development of faculty. The chair will both grow NIH-funded research within the department and strengthen ties across the research communities at UMMS.
The ideal candidate will:
- be a highly accomplished investigator who is academically recognized and possesses the qualities to be an effective leader. She or he will have a record of excellence in research;
- have an outstanding record of extramurally funded research;
- display a passion for fundamental research;
- show the ability to be an advocate for the department both within UMMS and throughout the broader academic community;
- be able to inspire both by example and by mentorship, building collaboration between faculty and collegiality in the department;
- see beyond today, promoting a compelling vision that is embraced by UMMS faculty;
- the ability to mentor, recruit and retain outstanding faculty in the Department.
The University of Massachusetts Medical School has retained Park Square Executive Search to assist in the search for the next Chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Pharmacology. To request a full copy of the position description, or for nominations, inquiries and applications may be sent in confidence to:
Bruce Rychlik, Managing Partner,
Jonathan Fortescue, Ph.D., Managing Partner or
Kyle Meingast, Principal
+1 617 401 2991