Director of Equity and Inclusion
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Baltimore, MD
Maryland Institute College of Art
Director of Equity and Inclusion
Position Summary: Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) seeks an experienced strategic and collaborative innovator to join our institution in a newly created role as the Director of Equity & Inclusion (Director). Reporting to the Vice President of Strategic Initiatives, the Director leads the development and implementation of an effective strategy to build a vibrant culture of diversity, equity and inclusion for all members of the MICA community per MICA’s Mission, Vision and Tenets, DEIG (diversity, equity, inclusion, and globalization) commitment, Core Values, Institutional Learning Outcomes, and institutional strategic goals.
The position fosters a diverse and inclusive College community, where the principles of equity are understood, practiced and experienced by all. The Director shapes a creative, dynamic, and forward- thinking DEIG strategy and its execution, with deepening relationships with diverse campus and non- campus constituencies. The institutional DEIG vision is shared through compelling internal communication that champions the importance and value of a diverse, inclusive and equitable college environment.
The Director engages faculty, staff and students to build a welcoming and inclusive culture at MICA, and partners with key constituents to identify training initiatives on cultural competency, gender differences, disability, power and equity issues, and other topics designed to increase awareness and support of diversity, equity and inclusion values. The Director maintains compliance with applicable laws.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: Primary responsibilities include strategic oversight and leadership of the College’s DEIG and goals; the ongoing attention to and facilitation of a college culture that embraces and respects human differences across all aspects of diversity; and the cultivation of a climate of mutual respect and acceptance by fostering opportunities for intentional collaborative interactions among administrators, faculty, staff, students and members of the greater community.
- With the Vice President for Strategic Initiatives, collaborate with other campus leaders, faculty, staff, students, constituents and stakeholders, design and implement strategic priorities and initiatives to advance diversity, equity and inclusion to align with MICA’s mission, vision, and core values
- Influence College leaders through education and consultation on the implementation of equity and inclusion programs across the campus community and work with cross-functional teams and divisions to support the development of programs, initiatives and goals
- With vision and intellectual leadership, coordinate and guide all efforts to define, understand, assess, foster, and cultivate diversity, equity and inclusion as a fundamental institutional value
- Inventory diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives currently underway to share and advance equitable and inclusive practices relating to staff and faculty recruitment, development, and retention.
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President of Human Resources to create a clear strategy to enhance employee recruitment efforts to broaden outreach to diverse candidates, foster career opportunities and assist with the development of recruitment strategies that attract underrepresented candidates
- Partner with the Center for Identity and Inclusion to ensure comprehensive institutional support for students; assess and as needed develop structures that enable students to voice and report discriminatory behavior
- Continuously review, innovate and make recommendations to programs and initiatives to ensure they're meeting defined objectives and are operating at an optimal level of organizational efficiency and effectiveness; keeps leadership apprised of the institutional impact and progress of the various programs
- Obtain, review and analyze workforce data and reports to develop strategies, approaches and prioritization of program development and implementation
- Develop institutional measures to monitor progress toward strategic goals related to diversity, equity and inclusion; develop metrics and/or dashboards to provide guidance for strategic planning, decision-making and to ensure accountability in tracking and monitoring ongoing initiatives
- Partner with the Associate Vice President of Human Resources to assess learning opportunities across multiple dimensions of diversity, equity and inclusion to support the development of programs designed to build an equitable and inclusive community and strengthen partnerships across the college
- Promote priorities, initiatives and resources utilizing multiple communication methods including but not limited to a diversity, equity and inclusion website
- Master's degree or equivalent experience
- Demonstrated track record of building and advancing organization-wide diversity, equity and inclusion programs
- Experience in building and maintaining critical collaborations and partnerships across functions and disciplines
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills toward building credibility and unity around difficult and complex issues
- Strong leadership and organizational development skills to promote, execute and assess the impact of strategic priorities and initiatives
- Results-oriented with proven ability to manage multiple and competing priorities
- Ability to evaluate program/project outcomes against planned goals
- Ability to develop creative and effective solutions that address relevant institutional needs and to leverage a broad internal and external network of subject matter experts
- Ability to handle highly confidential information with discretion, sensitivity and good judgment
- A proven track record of designing and initiating successful institutional-wide programs and projects advancing affirmative action, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
Reporting to this position: No direct reports
Conditions of Employment:
- Candidate must successfully complete a full background check
Physical demands and work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually minimal.
- Required training: Handbook orientation, Anti-Harassment, Hazard Communication, Emergency Plans & Fire Prevention, Personal Protection Equipment. (additional training may be added, SEE: EHS Manager training schedule)
Maryland Institute College of Art is committed to its policy of providing equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, or veteran status (disabled, Vietnam-era, or otherwise). Furthermore, the College does not tolerate any form of sex discrimination, including sexual harassment or sexual violence. This policy applies to all programs, facilities, and activities provided by Maryland Institute College of Art, including but not limited to admission, educational programs, and employment.
More search results
Assistant or Associate Professor in Mechatronic E…
California State University, Chico
Chair, Department of Physical Therapy
Grand Valley State University
SUNY System Administration
Health Sciences Assistant or Associate Clinical P…
University of California Los Angeles
Lecturer - Accounting
California Lutheran University