- University System of Maryland
- Baltimore, MD
The Board of Regents of the University System of Maryland (USM) invites nominations and applications for the position of Chancellor.
The Chancellor is the Chief Executive Officer of the USM and the Chief of Staff to the Board of Regents and is responsible for the overarching leadership and management of the entire USM. The USM comprises 12 institutions, three regional higher educational centers, and a system office. It serves more than 176,000 students worldwide with an operating budget of more than $6 billion. The Presidents of the USM’s 12 institutions report directly to the Chancellor and together are accountable for providing transformative leadership, focus, and strategic vision for the advancement of public higher education and research activities in the state of Maryland.
As Maryland’s public university system, the USM is well positioned on multiple levels for continued progress and success. Maryland is a well-educated state, ranking 2nd nationally in the percentage of professional and technical workers and is in the top 5 in the proportion of adults with bachelor’s and advanced degrees. A tremendously diverse and culturally rich state, Maryland is also affluent, leading the nation in median income and having the nation’s second lowest poverty rate. Its proximity to Washington, D.C. provides ready access to national leadership, numerous federal labs and facilities (NIH, FDA, NIST, NSA etc.), and myriad partnership opportunities for institutions, faculty, and students. Higher education in Maryland—and the USM in particular—has received impressive bipartisan support for years.
The USM Board of Regents is seeking in its next Chancellor a highly respected leader committed to ensuring the continued success and national prominence of the system. As a spokesperson for the USM and higher education with the Legislature, the Governor, the business community, and the public, this individual will have the opportunity to achieve the following professional and personal accomplishments:
- Lead one of the most respected systems of higher education in the country, whose reputation and resources have made it a national role model for the delivery of high quality, affordable education.
- Oversee an enormously diverse mix of campuses and institutional entities.
- Work directly with a diverse and outstanding cohort of Presidents and senior leaders who are each aligned towards the achievement of the USM’s and state’s collective goals.
- Regularly engage with Maryland’s top elected officials and senior leaders in the private and civic sectors.
- Be recognized nationally as an acknowledged leader in the field of higher education and participate regularly in forums and collaborative initiatives with other top leaders in the academy.
- Reside and work in Maryland, a state known for its economic vitality, quality of life, and diversity of regions and communities.
Additional information about this position can be found at www.wittkieffer.com.
Applications, nominations, inquiries and expressions of interest should be forwarded in confidence to John K. Thornburgh or Robin Mamlet at WittKieffer via email at MarylandChancellor@wittkieffer.com.
The USM is an equal opportunity employer as to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, disability and other legally protected characteristics. Applicants may be asked to present documentation required by the 1986 Immigration Act, including identity, U.S. citizenship or alien status, and U.S. work authorization.