Excelsior College announces a global search and invites applications and nominations for the position of president.
Excelsior College, based in Albany, New York, is a private, independent, not-for-profit regionally accredited institution that has 177,034 alumni. Excelsior College enrolls a diverse student body and has a long history of educating first-generation college students, as well as being a military-friendly institution. The college offers a challenging and supportive educational environment, with an enrollment of over 23,300 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and North Mariano Islands, and 30 countries and regions outside the United States. A total of 12,843, or 7.25 percent, of the graduates have earned more than one degree from the College. It is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) and offers degree programs at the associate and bachelor’s levels in liberal arts, and at the associate, bachelor’s, and master’s levels in business, health sciences, public service, technology, and nursing.
The Excelsior College Board of Trustees seeks a dynamic, inspirational, and innovative change agent to lead an institution that is prepared to move to the next level of innovation in providing higher education opportunities to non-traditional adult learners across the United States and internationally. Reporting to the board of trustees, the president serves as the college’s chief executive officer with overall responsibility for the leadership and management of the institution, including the strategic direction, financial sustainability, optimization of human capital, and oversight, execution, and effectiveness of its programs, services, and assets.
Preferred qualifications include the following:
- An earned doctorate preferred. Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution required. Equivalent experience will be considered;
- Significant record of progressive responsibilities in organizational leadership, fiscal management, and administration;
- Proven leadership, entrepreneurial ability, and understanding of technological advancement in higher education and online learning;
- Understanding of the higher education landscape and demonstrated support for and commitment to higher education, including online/digital learning, prior learning assessment, and flexible academic processes;
- Deep understanding of the intersectionality of diversity with a track record of contributing to, creating, and working in an inclusive environment;
- Record of success in fundraising, including working with private donors;
- Involvement in student-success initiatives with demonstrated outcomes, including strategic enrollment (recruitment, retention, and graduation);
- Strategic and financial management skills relative to academic program planning, budgeting, fiscal planning, diversification of revenue streams, talent management, and increasing brand recognition; and
- An inclusive leadership style and the ability to demonstrate courage and integrity in critical decision making.
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Excelsior College in the search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided by early October 2019. A complete application will include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position’s duties, responsibilities, and qualifications; an academic curriculum vitae, and contact information for at least five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. All candidate information will be held in strict confidence until the final round of interviews.
Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should send an email with information about the nominated person to Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. Please include the name, position, telephone number, and email address of the nominee.
Confidential inquiries, nomination, and application materials should be directed to:
Narcisa Polonio (202-276-1983) and Alex Matthews
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Phone: 850.650.2277 / Fax: 850.650.2272
For more information on Excelsior College, visit https://www.excelsior.edu/.
Excelsior College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/ADA employer committed to excellence and diversity that strives to enhance our ability to develop a diverse faculty and staff to increase our potential to serve a diverse student population.