Director of Services, Facilities Management Division
The University of Georgia (UGA) invites applications and nominations for the position of Director of Services in the Facilities Management Division (FMD). Under the direction of the Associate Vice President of Facilities Management, and working collaboratively with the campus community, the Director of Services is responsible for providing custodial, moving and surplus, event support and interior pest control services to the campus. The Director is to set the strategic direction for the group, as well as ensure the group's operational components are performing effectively and efficiently. Additional functions include human resources management, implementation of training, financial responsibility for both operating budget and capital funds, quality control, and special projects as assigned by FMD’s leadership.
The position oversees 10 staff: one assistant director, five custodial superintendents, one logistics manager and three training specialists. The department has a staffing level of approximately 480 full time employees.
Facilities Management Division and UGA
The UGA Facilities Management Division is the largest of the divisions reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Administration. With an annual operating budget of just over $56 million, this division provides the services necessary to operate and maintain the buildings, grounds and utilities for the Athens area campuses. The Facilities Maintenance Division website is located at: https://www.fmd.uga.edu/.
UGA is ranked among the top 15 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton.
UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the birthplace of public higher education in America. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 37,000 students, including over 28,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens. Additional information about the University of Georgia is available at http://www.uga.edu/.
The University of Georgia campus consists of approximately 12 million gross square feet of space with 400 buildings that include administrative, library, classroom, and research space. In addition to the large-scale custodial operation, Services supports a large number of events per year with equipment delivery, setup, and breakdown. FMD’s Services department has an annual personnel budget of approximately $15 million.
The successful candidate will identify and implement best practices for the department and develop metrics to evaluate and manage performance as well as bring innovation and emerging trends to the department. The position interfaces with a number of high-level individuals across the campus and leads in a highly professional and collaborative setting.
- Requires at least a baccalaureate degree in the field.
- At least ten (10) years of leadership experience within a commercial / institutional facilities management or custodial management environment.
- A Master’s or other advanced degree is preferred.
- Knowledge of Custodial Function - Possesses thorough knowledge of methods associated with commercial / institutional custodial function. Thorough knowledge of safety regulations and safe work practices associated with custodial function.
- Financial Management - Experience managing a large annual operating budget.
- Communication and Analytical Skills - Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to a diverse audience, and possess a knowledge of appropriate escalation protocols. Highly developed analytical skills and a strong business acumen.
- Customer Service Skills - Understanding of modern customer service theories, practices and methods, and how to apply them.
- Managerial Complexity - Ability to successfully handle multiple tasks at once, and be able to determine appropriate priorities. Ability to make independent interpretations and decisions that are in the best interest of the organization, and that are consistent with the objectives of senior leadership.
- Computer Skills - Proficient in the use of business application software and familiar with the use of a computerized maintenance-management software program.
- After-Hour Emergency Response - Ability to respond to emergencies and incidents after normal business hours, as needed, and on short notice.
- Essential Personnel - Ability to function in an essential personnel role, which may include an extended on-campus presence during local, regional, or national emergencies.
- Personnel Management - Ability to lead a large group of service-oriented support staff focused on customer satisfaction.
Applicant screening will begin immediately. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by Thursday, September 12, 2019; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
To request additional information for this position or provide a nomination, please contact Damla Williams, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, 706-542-7344 or email@example.com. Letters of recommendation or a simple nomination should include the name and contact information for the nominee.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. As such, the University of Georgia is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. We not only strongly encourage women, minorities and other diverse candidates to consider applying for this position, but we also maintain that all candidates should share our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (HRWeb@uga.edu). Please do not contact the department or search committee with such requests.
More search results
DEAN, COLLEGE OF EDUCATION
NORTHERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
Director, National Institute of Nursing Research
National Institute of Nursing Research
Dean - College of Science, Engineering, Technolog…
Austin Peay State University
Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Studies and Direc…
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Corporate & Foundation Relations Officer
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill