Associate Vice President for Financial Planning and Analysis
- Stony Brook University
- Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University seeks an exceptional individual to be the Associate Vice President for Financial Planning and Analysis (AVP). Reporting to the Vice President for Finance, the AVP will effectively develop a transparent budget model that allows for shared accountability and aligns sound financial planning with the University’s mission and strategic goals. This position is an opportunity to work with senior leadership at Stony Brook to continue significant transformation of the University’s financial analysis and planning approaches, shape how the university makes financial decisions, and impact the long-term trajectory and sustainability of this flagship institution.
Stony Brook University, widely regarded as a SUNY flagship, offers more than 200 undergraduate programs, more than 100 master’s programs and more than 40 doctoral programs. Stony Brook’s 2019 operating budget totals $ 2.7B, including all academic, auxiliary, and administrative units at Stony Brook Medical Center and Long Island State Veterans Home. A center of academic excellence and an internationally recognized research institution, Stony Brook University is also home to Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. Located in a coastal suburb of New York City, the University campus lies about 60 miles east of Manhattan and 60 miles west of Montauk Point, combining the charm of a countryside setting along the Long Island Sound with close proximity to cultural, scientific and industrial resources.
An established leader in their field, the incoming AVP will partner with senior financial and academic leadership to design and implement a financial planning, analysis and reporting environment that supports distributed, participatory decision-making while maintaining appropriate financial controls, central funds for strategic investment and creating broad transparency to financial information.
Highlighted priorities for this role include:
- Lead all divisional budget teams and financial leaders in a common mission of stabilizing area budgets and aligning resources;
- Formulate, implement, and effectively communicate a strategic plan that guides the direction of the university’s budgeting practices;
- Provide strategic guidance and analytical support to the President and Sr Vice President across a broad portfolio of campus activities;
- Represent finance through standing committee work, such as the Provost’s enrollment planning, Housing Planning Advisory Committee, and other initiatives;
- Lead the development of the data warehouse to enhance the quality of data analytics and insight generation including a robust modeling capacity to support financial initiatives;
- Lead project management efforts to improve financial systems, create and improve reporting, make key decisions regarding technical conversions and automated integration;
- Develop and lead the processes use for monitoring financial planning and budget performance providing timely support of the Provost, Vice Presidents, Deans and other organizational units.
This is an exceptional opportunity to fundamentally transform the University’s financial improvements, plan for the future, and engagement with campus partners. A bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance or related field is required, with a minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in budget development and/or fiscal management, to include at least five (5) years of team management experience. Demonstrated leadership experience in budget modeling and complex financial structures is critical to this role. Preferred Qualifications include a graduate degree and/or certificates in a related field. Exceptional candidates will possess experience in public, non-profit, higher education or governmental environment; experience in continuous process/six sigma business process improvement; and demonstrated experience in the application of technologies/online systems.
Koya Leadership Partners is assisting Stony Brook University with this hire. Nominations and applications, including a detailed letter of interest, qualifications, and a current curriculum vitae, should be submitted here.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
More search results
Assistant Vice President of Community Relations -…
Northern Arizona University
Associate Vice Chancellor - Innovation in Educati…
University of California San Diego
Associate Vice President for Finance & Operations…
University of Maryland, College Park
Associate Vice President, Enrollment Management
California State University, Dominguez Hills