Assistant Vice President for Procurement Services
- Stony Brook University
- Stony Brook, NY
Stony Brook University seeks an exceptional individual to be the Assistant Vice President for Procurement Services (AVP). This AVP will have significant experience directing strategic sourcing, category management, and procure-to-pay processes to join the administrative and financial leadership team as the Assistant Vice President for Procurement Services. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Finance and Chief Budget Officer, the AVP is responsible for creating partnerships across the University to ensure the University’s strategic sourcing, procurement, and payables policies, procedures, operations, and practices are effective, streamlined, and provide efficient and effective customer service in a decentralized environment.
Stony Brook University, widely regarded as a SUNY flagship, offers more than 200 undergraduate programs, more than 100 master’s programs and more than 40 doctoral programs. A center of academic excellence and an internationally recognized research institution, Stony Brook University is also home to Stony Brook Medicine, Long Island’s premier academic medical center. Located in a coastal suburb of New York City, the University campus lies about 60 miles east of Manhattan and 60 miles west of Montauk Point, combining the charm of a countryside setting along the Long Island Sound with close proximity to cultural, scientific and industrial resources.
The AVP will lead a team of 80+ staff members by providing strong, solutions-oriented leadership to management personnel to achieve high levels of morale. the successful incumbent will assess and analyze structural challenges, identify creative solutions, and drive a sustainable, tactical approach to supply chain management. Driven by best practices in strategic sourcing, the AVP will navigate a complex purchasing environment with a sense of diplomacy and tact, ensuring that procurement activities are performed efficiently and effectively with a nuanced understanding of how to dismantle complex challenges and set achievable benchmarks for success.
Highlighted priorities for this role include:
- Direct administration of Campus State purchasing, Research Purchasing, contract development and negotiation, accounts payable, Receiving and Mail Services.
- High-level oversight of daily operations of the University Accounts Payable, Purchasing, Central Receiving, Mail Services, and Property Control offices, including overseeing budget planning and implementation for the State, Research, Long Island State Veteran’s Home, Hospital, and DIFR funding.
- Develop projections, forecasting, and spending plans, ensuring compliance with SUNY Central administration, Research Foundation, State and Federal rules, regulations and guidelines relating to the procurement of goods and services.
- Assess and analyze structural challenges, identify creative solutions, and drive a sustainable, tactical approach to supply chain management.
- Drive continuous process improvement.
- Establishing a comprehensive Travel Office for the University by implementing a revamped and efficient travel policy and procedures.
- Develop and implement regular procurement related training programs for the procurement team and University departments while overseeing the day-to-day operation of Jaggaer (SciQuest) eProcurement system;
- Ensure compliance with SUNY Flexibility guidelines, including State, Research Foundation, University and Federal rules, regulations, for all purchasing and payment activities.
- Initiate a strategic procurement plan that champions Stony Brook University at the state and system levels while spearheading initiatives related to strategic sourcing and cost reducing programs related to Procurement.
A creative problem-solver with the ability to navigate a system of complex rules, the AVP must demonstrate successful culture-change skills with the ability to evaluate and negotiate organizational structures, actively seeking process improvements that align outputs and customer service with the diverse and evolving needs of the university.
A bachelor’s degree of higher in business or a related field is required, and a graduate degree in a business-related field is preferred. A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible professional level experience in procurement and strategic sourcing, knowledge of category management, supply chain routines, and proficiency with Microsoft Office and eProcurement systems is required. Experience with successfully implementing process improvement initiatives. Experience in higher education, government, or healthcare is preferred, and experience with property control, mail services, and experience supervising within a unionized environment ideal.
Koya Leadership Partners is assisting Stony Brook University with this hire. Nominations and applications, including a detailed letter of interest, qualifications, and a current curriculum vitae, should be submitted here.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.