Network Engineer IV/V
Internet2 provides the U.S. research and education community with a dynamic, innovative world-leading set of advanced information technologies. Through collaboration with regional optical networks, international and campus partners, Internet2 provides next-generation network services and a platform for the development of new networking paradigms. With community control of the fundamental networking infrastructure, the Internet2 Network provides the scalability for its members to efficiently provision resources to address bandwidth-intensive requirements of their campuses such as collaborative applications, distributed research experiments, grid-based data analysis, and social networking.
The Internet2 Network Services division develops and operates a highly unique network infrastructure for the research and education community. It also directly engages with that community to continually evolve the services provided by that infrastructure, requiring expertise that transcends nearly all the layers of advanced networking, cloud computing, measurement, information security and information technology.
To help support this critical mission, we are seeking a Tier IV/V Network Engineer to serve as both a technical expert and community liaison to further evolve the services provided by the Internet2 network. This position will be located in either our West Hartford or Ann Arbor office. Domestic and occasional international travel is expected.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Serve as a senior technical leader within Network Services focused on backbone transport, routing, and cloud-edge services.
- Interact cross-divisionally with Internet2 leadership, providing key feedback on technology implementations and policy development.
- Support the Internet2 Network Operations Center (NOC) and Business Development Team as a senior technical leader and subject matter expert, assisting in critical problem definition & solutions architecture for optical and packet networking and performance enhancement.
- Interact extensively with Internet2 customer technical stakeholders to forge relationships, contribute to the technical development of the community at large (including hosting workshops and training) and support the R&E ecosystem of regional networks and campuses.
- Work actively to identify emerging technologies and trends within industry, analyze community requirements, and work within the Architecture team to develop new architectural directions.
- Mentor junior engineering staff on complex technologies; recommend training programs to encourage division wide, cross-team competency.
- Serve as escalation point and leader for operational support and technical negotiations with vendors.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive laboratory facilities hosted within Internet2 facilities to test new technologies as well as provide debugging environments for identified problems.
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Expected to travel up to 30% for community and vendor interactions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated team player combining first-rate communication skills with excellent problem solving ability. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- 5+ years experience with MPLS and/or segment routed networks, preferably in a WAN/service provider environment.
- Experience designing and leading the implementation of L2VPN, L3VPN, EVPN, and VPLS services to provide edge network services in high-availability environments. Demonstrated knowledge of iBGP and eBGP, IGP protocols, LDP, etc.
- Familiarity with Operational Support System and Network Management System software stacks as applied to network automation, orchestration and telemetry.
- Ability to write devops scripts (python, perl, JSON, etc) to communicate with network elements and retrieve database information.
- Experience working in telecommunications facilities, including -48V DC systems and fiber cable plant
- Experience with Traffic Engineering within MPLS and/or segment routed networks
- Familiarity with the R&E community and their requirements for networks.
- Experience designing networks for random large flows AND consistent utilization.
- Experience with optical network transport, including flexible-grid DWDM, modulation schemes and coarse-wave technologies
- Certifications and/or demonstrated knowledge of the Juniper product suite, as well as other routing and switching products.
BS Degree in Engineering or Science preferred; alternatively, a substitute of significant relevant experience may be accepted.
The candidate must possess excellent English communication skills. Must have ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals. Must have ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Must have ability to effectively present information and respond to common inquiries, questions, or complaints from groups of managers, clients, and customers.
Good organizational and time management skills. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
Internet2 is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
More search results
TenTenure-Track Faculty - Strategic Management
College of Business Administration - CSU, Sacramento
Dean of the School of Business
St. Catherine University
Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Assistant Professor of Economics and Public Servi…
NYU Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service