Chief Information Officer
- Susquehanna University
- Selinsgrove, PA
Chief Information Officer
Susquehanna University, located in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania, seeks an innovative and collaborative leader for the position of Chief Information Officer (CIO). The CIO will report directly to the Executive Vice President and be responsible for developing and implementing comprehensive information technology (IT) strategies that support the mission, strategic plan, core educational and administrative objectives of Susquehanna University. This is an exciting opportunity for a senior IT executive who has the experience, leadership ability, and enthusiasm to map an innovative and strategic direction for IT services.
In this context, the new CIO must be an experienced IT leader with strong strategic and executive capabilities, the vision to anticipate the evolutionary pathways of new technology, and the imagination to identify emerging areas. The CIO must be rooted in sound principles but must be able to recognize and embrace constant change, allowing room for creativity, growth, and the shifting demand for systems architecture and technology that is digital, dynamic, and diverse. The CIO, in collaboration with key stakeholders, will prioritize technology initiatives, identify risks, evaluate trends, and make IT recommendations as appropriate to senior leadership.
Key primary responsibilities and opportunities for the Chief Information Officer include:
- Develop a strategic IT direction for Susquehanna that integrates with the University's strategic plan and ties into the institution's five-year capital and operating plans;
- Work in partnership with administrative departments to streamline business processes and to help administrators identify technology solutions that help deliver on strategic priorities;
- Provide day-to-day leadership of the IT office, through the IT leadership team, including the oversight of information and telecommunications technology functions and services supporting the institution;
- Ensure appropriate implementation and support for business, academic and research systems by managing and coordinating applications, network administration, security and related areas;
- Develop and administer IT security strategies, policies and procedures for network availability, security and related issues;
- Ensure overall compliance with regulations for securing data records associated with student and personnel records, financial records, and research data;
- Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team and key stakeholders in identifying and implementing key IT initiatives;
- Establish effective quality assurance processes, including integration and testing strategies, and departmental metrics;
- Identify the appropriate balance of campus-based resources and services versus brokered resources and services delivered by vendor and cloud-based providers;
- Develop, manage, and marshal the IT budget, including capital and recurring expenses pertaining to ongoing and future projects;
- Advance and maintain cloud resources focused on effective business/disaster recovery plans to ensure the effective recovery of IT systems and services in the event of an outage or catastrophic event;
- Build strong working relationships among IT and faculty, staff, management, vendors and other technology organizations within the University by facilitating communication and resolving conflicts;
- Achieve mutually agreed upon service standards and operational benchmarks for services to the campuses; and
- Use IT to improve the University’s competitive position regarding its peers and aspirational peers.
The ideal candidate will be a proven IT leader with progressive leadership experience. The CIO will demonstrate evidence of many of the following qualities:
- A successful record of visionary leadership and excellence in Information Technologies in a complex environment;
- An effective project manager, change agent and innovative and forward-thinking leader who can think strategically and translate strategies into actionable plans;
- The ability to effectively manage financial and other resources in a manner that maximizes productivity and quality of work;
- An in-depth knowledge of current and emerging information technologies, hardware and software, data security issues, and use of social media;
- The ability to lead with both a decisive and consultative style, foster open communications, and proactively build positive relationships with faculty, staff, students, and diverse constituencies;
- The ability to drive and promote innovation, collaboration, and partnerships across the University and with external constituencies, as needed and in particular to achieve effective cost savings;
- Demonstrated ability to closely work with colleagues across campus to ensure that the University is actively working to achieve the goals and mission of the University;
- A track record of successfully hiring, managing, and mentoring staff and a strong commitment to inclusion and diversity; a demonstrated record of encouraging the professional development of staff; and experience supervising multiple departments;
- A team player who fosters collaboration within the organization, and has a strong commitment to excellent customer service;
- An adeptness in problem solving and creating solutions;
- A bachelor's degree in business, computer science, engineering, or other related discipline required, and master's degree is strongly preferred; and
- Prior experience in higher education is desirable.
This search is being led by Mo Lashendock and supported by Josyanne Roche of Koya Leadership Partners. To express your interest in this role, please submit your materials, including your letter of interest and resume here. For a full position profile, please click here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
The university encourages candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply. Susquehanna University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
More search results
Assistant Vice Chancellor of Environment, Health …
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Assistant Director, Diversity and Inclusion/ Sant…
California State University, San Bernardino
Associate Director Prospect Development
Associate Director of Development Farmer School o…
Associate Director, Event Management