Glen H. Hiner Dean, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
- West Virginia University
- Morgantown, West Virginia
Glen H. Hiner Dean, Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources
West Virginia University (WVU) invites nominations and applications for an innovative and charismatic leader as Dean of the Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources. As a land-grant institution designated with very high research activity by the Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research’s Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, we are seeking an innovator in engineering education committed to supporting the conversion of discoveries and inventions into practical technologies, products, and services at the local, national, and global level. We are searching for a leader who is committed to advancing diversity and the enhancement of the student experience.
The Dean is the chief academic and administrative officer of the College and reports to the Provost. The Dean will maintain a culture that emphasizes meritocratic openness to talent and ideas from all over the world, vibrant intellectual exchange, and interdisciplinary collaborations around complex societal problems, such as energy, water, food, transportation, security, health, environmental quality, and economic development.
The College has been central to the major transformation of the institution, and the Dean provides the dynamic leadership necessary to foster intellectual curiosity and synergies of innovation throughout the undergraduate and graduate programs. The Dean will be responsible for providing effective support to faculty engaged in conducting research and will assist with attracting funding from a variety of agencies and industries to support research efforts.
The faculty and staff in the College are dedicated to providing students with a first-rate education that instills strong, basic knowledge for sound practice in science and engineering. WVU graduates are highly sought after by business and industry, with many occupying key leadership positions in top engineering firms both at home and abroad. Statler College of Engineering and Mineral Resources includes the Departments of Chemical & Biomedical Engineering, Civil & Environmental Engineering, Computer Science & Electrical Engineering, Industrial & Management Systems Engineering, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Mining & Industrial Extension, Mining Engineering, and Petroleum & Natural Gas Engineering. The College continues to be an energy leader, driving economic development and innovation for the state of West Virginia.
The Dean will provide outstanding leadership and have primary responsibility for the academic excellence, administration, and outreach of the College. In addition, experience in the creation of entrepreneurial and fundraising activities, the development of centers of excellence, the establishment and cultivation of interdisciplinary research and teaching initiatives, and the management of a complex, academic unit underpinned by collegiality and inclusiveness is also expected.
The successful candidate will be a visionary leader and must have:
- A doctoral degree in one of the College's disciplines or a closely related engineering field and an academic record of accomplishment in teaching, research/professional development, and service consistent with an appointment as a tenured professor in one of the College's departments.
- A demonstrated record of effective and transparent administrative leadership and relationship building with faculty, staff, alumni, and donors.
- A proven track record of publications, evidence of strong industry relationships, and a demonstrated record of external fundraising and dynamic budget management.
- Evidence of outstanding organizational, decision-making, and communication skills.
- A commitment to attracting and developing talented and diverse faculty, staff, and students.
- An outstanding, nationally recognized record of scholarship and success in attracting competitive research funding along with experience in leading multidisciplinary research/creative initiatives.
- A comprehensive understanding of the role a public land-grant university plays in the vitality of the region and the state and of the importance of research, creative activity, and scholarship.
- A rich understanding of the historical context the College has played in driving economic development through the use of natural resources in the state of West Virginia.
- Experience cultivating innovative scholarship and creative activity within the College, including interdisciplinary and trans-disciplinary collaborations across the University.
- Demonstrated efforts and effectiveness in technology transfer activities and startups, collaborating with industries, as well as working actively with state and local government and EDC’s.
- A background in or familiarity with computer science, computer engineering, cyber security, and data sciences.
- Experience with accreditation and a familiarity with the ABET accreditation process and/or another STEM focused accreditation.
- Experience in cultivating diversity in research and education and fostering entrepreneurial and interdisciplinary research activities.
- Demonstrated efforts to enrich the intellectual, social, and cultural atmosphere of the college through innovative academic programming designed to attract, retain, and graduate a diverse population of students.
- Experience enhancing opportunities for professional development and preparation of graduate students for careers in academic, government, and industry sectors.
- A demonstrated record of identifying and cultivating new sources of funding through the promotion and development of partnerships and collaborations with industry, partner institutions, and government that will lead to increased resources for the University and employment opportunities for graduates and faculty.
- An established commitment to promoting excellence in teaching and learning, research, outreach, and engagement with community and industrial partners across the U.S and globally to enhance the position and rank of the College.
- A demonstrated record of leadership in team building and strategic planning.
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting West Virginia University in the search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and continue until an appointment is made. For full consideration, materials should be provided by August 31, 2019. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate’s experiences match the position’s duties, responsibilities and qualifications, an academic curriculum vitae and contact information for at least five references. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. Individuals wishing to place names in nomination should submit electronically a letter of nomination to include the name, position, address, and telephone number of the nominee.
Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to:
Jan Greenwood or Kevin Bennett
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Center Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Phone: 850.650.2277 / Fax: 850.650.2272
For more information about West Virginia University, please visit https://www.wvu.edu/
West Virginia University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive culture by promoting diversity, inclusion, equality, and intercultural and intercommunity outreach. Accordingly, the University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, marital or family status, pregnancy, veteran status, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or gender expression in the administration of any of its educational programs, activities, or with respect to admission or employment. This Policy sets forth how discrimination, harassment, sexual and domestic misconduct, certain consensual relationships, stalking, and retaliation will be addressed by West Virginia University.