- Centenary University
- Hackettstown, NJ
The Board of Trustees of Centenary University and the Search Committee seek the University’s next president and invite expressions of interest to lead this dynamic University, serving more than 2,400 students annually. Centenary University has responded creatively and effectively to the educational needs of New Jersey and beyond, by offering an appealing variety of programs on its main campus and recognized, professionally based programs at off-campus sites in Edison, N.J., and Parsippany, N.J. Throughout its long history, the institution has maintained its commitment to educational opportunity, service of others, and lifelong learning.
Founded in 1867 by the Newark Conference of the United Methodist Church and located in beautiful Hackettstown, N.J., Centenary is the choice for students who wish to succeed in tomorrow’s most in-demand careers. Signature academic programs include an acclaimed equestrian studies program, the pre-vet equine and small animal programs, business, education, biological science, criminal justice, and sports management. The fine arts offerings blend well with community participation and attendance at plays, concerts, and performances. Challenging academics are complemented by a supportive faculty and staff, robust extracurricular experiences, and a diverse student body.
Centenary’s NCAA (Division III) teams compete in the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) and provide student-athletes with an excellent opportunity to compete in 14 sports. Centenary’s award-winning equestrian team has earned accolades for decades.
The University’s major strengths include the talent of its faculty and staff, inclusive leadership by the administration and trustees, an intentional approach to civility, a commitment to engaging the whole student, and concerted efforts to enhance shared governance. A spirit of continuous institutional improvement will give the next leader the opportunity to build on assessments that have identified academic standing, financial soundness, revenue enhancement, and student enrollment growth as important areas of focus. The Board of Trustees is committed to an increased role in fundraising, endowment building, and outreach to the broader community. The annual budget of the University is about $35 million and the endowment has a market value of $10 million. The University has 22,000 alumni and an active alumni association.
The Board of Trustees and the Search Committee seek a distinguished leader with the following characteristics:
- A transformational leader who can engage the Centenary community and its constituents in a shared vision for the future
- Experience developing, leading, and effectively executing a strategic plan at an institution of higher education
- Strong leadership experience in higher education with a deep understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing higher education and the region
- Strong financial acumen and facility with financial reports, accounting, investments, and financing; a responsible fiscal steward
- Driven to advocate and fundraise for the institution, preferably with a proven track record, knowledge of fundraising operations, and knowledge of grants, annual fund, and capital campaigns
- A skilled communicator who is energized by interacting with students, staff, alumni, and community members and who can inspire constituents
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms
- A leader who will honor the University’s history and traditions, and work productively with the local community and the region
- A mission-driven individual of the highest integrity who is passionate about serving Centenary and making its success their highest priority
- A change leader who works collaboratively and transparently with humility and humor within our unique culture to fulfill the institution’s mission
- An accomplished scholar with a doctoral or terminal degree from an accredited university
The Search Committee will begin review of applications in June, 2019, and will consider candidates in its initial review those whose materials are complete and in-hand by August 9, 2019. The Committee will continue to accept applications for possible future reviews until a new president is selected. Applicants must present a letter of interest that addresses Centenary University’s mission, attributes desired in candidates and opportunities for leadership outlined in the profile. In addition to the letter, a complete application includes a comprehensive vitae with 5 references, noting email and phone numbers for each contact. Please submit applications to Rochelle Makela-Goodman, Chair of the Search Committee, at CentenaryUPres@agbsearch.com. Dr. Jim Davis, AGB Search Consultant, is assisting the search. You may direct inquiries and questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and phone 540-539-9415. For a copy of the profile and other information, please consult: www.centenaryuniversity.edu or www.agbsearch.com.
Centenary University is an equal opportunity institution.