Assistant Director of Residence Life
Ohio University’s Department of Housing and Residence Life empowers Bobcats to discover their potential by engaging in opportunities to contribute to a community and develop skills for success. The department seeks candidates for two Assistant Director of Residence Life positions, a leadership role that supports the student-centered focus of utilizing relationship building to provide experiences for students to reflect and grow.
A twelve month, live-on, administrative contract position that reports directly to the Associate Director of Residence Life, the Assistant Directors are responsible for direct supervision of 2-9 full-time Resident Directors, as well as 1-5 Graduate Resident Directors. Assistant Directors provide leadership and oversight to departmental functional areas and teams, and the current vacancies are responsible for either:
• Student Leadership and Programming: This area includes student organization advising for the Residents’ Action Council (tRAC), National Residence Hall Honorary (NRHH), and the Late Night Programming Committee. The Assistant Director will have the opportunity to provide vision and direction for student leadership opportunities for residents, as well as, advising training and expectations for professional staff.
• Equity and Inclusion: This area includes chairing the department’s Equity and Inclusion committee, charged with promoting equity and inclusion through active and passive initiatives for students in collaboration with campus and community partners. The Assistant Director will have the opportunity to provide vision and direction for equity and inclusion efforts through review of departmental assessments, policies, and procedures, and serving on divisional committees.
The department is beginning the design and implementation of a residential curriculum and Assistant Directors will have the opportunity to be part of establishing a curricular approach, as well as, the further development of the Specialized Living Experiences (SLEs) and Faculty in Residence program at Ohio University. As a member of the Residence Life leadership team, the Assistant Director position is an integral part of the Housing and Residence Life team that has the following core responsibilities:
• Supervise a team of full-time Resident Directors, and Graduate Resident Directors;
• Oversee a departmental functional area and chair or co-chair team(s);
• Manage crisis and facilities concerns, in addition to serving in an on-call rotation;
• Support design and implementation of educational and community development plans for the residential curriculum;
• Provide oversight and support for residential student conduct cases, and serve as a university hearing officer, hearing cases up to and including suspension;
• Serve on university and divisional committees on behalf of Housing and Residence Life.
Successful candidates will possess skills to:
• Mentor and coach staff with intentionality;
• Foster strong, inclusive residential communities;
• Demonstrate a commitment to intentional learning and assessment;
• Build relationships with residents and department colleagues;
• Collaborate with faculty and staff across the institution.
This position is not eligible for H1B visa status, based on federal regulations.
In the Division of Student Affairs, we demonstrate effort for all to understand their individual and collective role in creating inclusive environments and use a perspective of Social Justice in their work. We define Social Justice as an active process and commitment to promoting equity through the (1) identification and removal of barriers, (2) facilitation of learning, (3) cultivation of community, and (4) empowerment of people. We work to address needs related to student development and well-being in order to increase retention, academic progress and graduation rates. We dedicate ourselves to advancing cultural competency at Ohio University, the surrounding community, and the world.
Requirements for Position:
• Master’s degree required, preferred Higher Education or related field
• 3-5 years of relevant experience, including Housing and Residence Life experience
To apply, complete the online application (http://www.ohiouniversityjobs.com/postings/31373) and attach a cover letter, resume, and names/phone numbers of three current references. One reference must be your current or most recent supervisor. Applications will be reviewed as they are received and the position will remain open until filled. For full consideration, please apply by June 9, 2019.
Ohio University is committed to creating a respectful and inclusive educational and workplace environment. Ohio University is an equal access/equal opportunity and affirmative action employer with a strong commitment to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. Women, persons of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Ohio University is a member of the OH/Western PA/WV Higher Education Recruitment Consortium.
More search results
Assistant Professor - History (African Diaspora)
Assistant Professor of Business Analytics
University of Alabama in Huntsville
Assistant Professor - School of Criminology and J…
University of Massachusetts Lowell
Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Educati…
University of Wisconsin–Madison
Dean of the University of Maryland School of Soci…
University of Maryland, Baltimore