Position Summary: The Honors College Communications Manager develops, monitors, implements, manages and evaluates communication strategies for the college. This includes coordinating, designing, assembling, and distributing information via print, online, social media and emerging outlets, including but not limited to websites, news and press releases, brochures, pamphlets, and other publications. This position compiles and analyzes information to produce reports and assist in communications with multiple audiences, manages associated websites and utilizes social media technologies to advance the work of the College. This position assists in preparing students for public events on behalf of the University. This position reports to the Dean of the Honors College in support of overall college goals, including priorities associated with affiliated units: Academic Scholars Program, the National/International Fellowships & Scholarships Office, and the Debate team. This position requires interaction with a diverse set of individuals internal and external to the University including students, faculty, staff, University administrators, alumni, the media and other constituencies. This position also facilitates the early identification, recruitment and mentoring of students applying for nationally and internationally competitive awards at the undergraduate and graduate level. This includes assisting in publicizing information sessions and workshops for students, faculty and staff; as well as developing ongoing strategies for publicizing fellowship and scholarship opportunities associated with the National and International Fellowships and Scholarships Office and the Honors College Dean’s Office.
• Develops, monitors, implements, manages and evaluates communications strategies for Honors College units, initiatives and activities including those that may be delivered through programs, workshops/seminars, Internet technology, outreach and other settings.
• Coordinates, designs, assembles, edits and/or prepares informational materials, written communications, reports, and multi-media materials for distribution through various outlets including print, online, social media and emerging media. Facilitates and coordinates efforts to compose, edit, design, record, produce and duplicate video-taped, audio-taped or printed programs and materials. Contributes to Honors College and other campus publications.
• Plans, creates, produces, photographs, edits, records or drafts releases and feature material for publications, media and on-line communications in order to inform the public and University constituencies of events, programs, initiatives and issues.
• Executes innovative marketing campaigns to promote college units, initiatives, activities and events using social media, traditional media, public relations, advertising and emerging media. Contributes to the overall growth and engagement of social media strategies for the college. Supports social media goal setting, execution, tracking and reporting. Assists with web development and technological enhancements for the unit; coordinating as necessary and appropriate with the college’s IT support.
• Connects students, faculty and staff to resources and programming within the Honors College network. Makes campus resource referrals as necessary. Serves as a liaison across units within the college; as well as with other University departments including University Communications. Works with vendors by coordinating and approving work of graphic designers, photographers and printers. Assists in negotiating rates for advertising and communications-oriented activities.
• Coordinates and compiles information to produce reports. Gathers, researches and relays information, some of which may sensitive, received from the University community, staff members, alumni and external constituencies (e.g., the press, other universities, foundations, and granting agencies), prioritizes and responds to inquiries in consultation with the Dean.
Required Education, Experience and Skills
Knowledge equivalent to that which would normally be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in Journalism, Public Relations, Telecommunications, Business or a related field; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in public or media relations, composing, editing and publication production; marketing strategies, advertising campaigns and/or creative services; website design and/or maintenance; managing content for social media channels; print and on-line media; word processing, database, spreadsheet, presentation software, desktop publishing, or related software; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Desired Education, Experience and Skills
Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and problem solving skills; excellent computer skills and the willingness/ability to learn and use new software programs and technological platforms; highly organized with attention to detail and accuracy; demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, handle multiple priorities and complex tasks; ability to research and interpret information to coordinate projects, produce reports and respond to questions; demonstrated ability to take initiative; demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team-based environment and complete projects independently; demonstrated ability to work comfortably and adeptly in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment; familiarity with various aspects of Higher Education; ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends.
Work Hours: Normal office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with some nights and weekends.
Department website: https://honorscollege.msu.edu/
Required Application Materials: Resume or CV, cover letter and contact information for three (3) professional references. Include name, position, phone, and email address and U.S. mailing address.
Special Instructions to Applicant: Please include a cover letter expressing interest in the position.
How to apply: http://careers.msu.edu/cw/en-us/listing/ [Posting #574581]
If you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Matt Zierler at 517-355-2326.
(Bidding eligibility ends on 5/7/2019 at 11:55 p.m.)
(External Posting Duration ends on 5/28/19 at 11:55 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time)