Executive Director for Strategic Sourcing
Radford University, a thriving, comprehensive public university of nearly 10,000 students located in Radford, Virginia, invites applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director for Strategic Sourcing.
Reporting directly to the Vice President for Finance and Administration, this position serves as the University’s Chief Procurement Officer. This position will ensure the Department of Procurement and Contracts provides sustained enterprise-wide leadership and the operational services and support to ensure Radford University and its employees can obtain the best value in efficiently procuring goods and services needed to fulfill the institutional mission.
Radford University is a comprehensive, mid-size public institution that is known for student-focused academic programs, a strong emphasis on service to others, and a picturesque 204-acre campus. As a medium-sized institution, the University provides its students with a winning combination of ample opportunities associated with a large university, as well as highly-personalized relationships considered the hallmark of a smaller college. Well-known for its innovative use of technology in the learning environment and vibrant student life on a beautiful campus, Radford University offers many opportunities for success in and out of the classroom.
Radford University is located in the City of Radford (population 17,184), 36 miles southwest of Roanoke, Virginia, on Route 11 and I-81 in the New River Valley and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. The City of Radford covers approximately 9.8 square miles and is a diverse city full of commercial and recreational opportunities.
The area, known for its beautiful scenery, provides abundant recreation, including kayaking, fishing, and tubing on the New River; hiking or bicycling on one of the region's dozens of trails, or just taking in nature nearly anywhere in the area. The City of Radford offers shopping and dining just a short walk from campus, and there is a regional mall only over 10 miles away.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director for Strategic Sourcing oversees the operations of the Procurement and Contracts Department and provides strategic direction for the University regarding procurement activities. The position directs and supervises staff who perform procurement processes, prioritizes workload to maximize processing efficiency, and provides exceptional customer service internally and externally. The Executive Director for Strategic Sourcing is responsible for the overall strategic, operational and fiscal management of the Procurement and Contracts Department.
Qualifications and Preferred Characteristics/Traits
Radford University's Executive Director for Strategic Sourcing should hold an advanced degree in public administration, business administration or a related field or possess an equivalent combination of education and related professional experience. Experience in a higher education institution, joint, and cooperative procurement, and professional certifications (e.g., CPM, CPSM, CPPO) are preferred.
The successful candidate will also possess:
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years of progressively responsible experience in and leading large and diverse public or private sector procurement organization(s) comparable to the size and complexity of Radford University.
- Extensive understanding of Higher Education funding and procurement requirements, needs, and challenges.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work with various levels of management and staff in a diverse environment.
- Experience with contracting process and knowledge of associated local, state, and federal and other regulations.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Experience in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and processes.
- Knowledge of organizational structure, workflow, and operating procedures.
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to foster a supportive work environment.
- Employee development and performance management skills.
- Experience assessing contract compliance and product/service quality.
- Knowledge of financial/business analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of contract law.
- Experience negotiating and managing contractual arrangements.
- Ability to analyze purchasing requests/orders for compliance with institutional procedures and state, federal, and other regulations.
- Ability to prepare bids, requests for quotes, and proposals in compliance with University business policies.
- Knowledge of and experience with complex automated financial systems.
- Aptitude for working with database reporting tools, pivot tables, core functions of highly detailed spreadsheets and flow charts.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, plan, and complete large complex projects and to set and meet deadlines.
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided by May 6, 2019.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Radford University in this search. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Application materials should include a letter addressing how the candidate's experiences match the position requirements, a curriculum vitae or resume, and five references. Submission of documents as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Confidential inquiries, nominations and application materials should be directed to:
Betty Turner Asher, Partner
Ann Bailey, Senior Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
For more information about Radford University, please visit http://www.radford.edu/.
Radford University does not discriminate with regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, veteran status, national origin, religion, or political affiliation in the administration of its educational programs, activities, admission, or employment practices.
More search results
Director, A.J. Drexel Autism Institute
VICE PRESIDENT FOR DEVELOPMENT and PRESIDENT OF …
Assistant Professor of Practice (non-tenure track…
Northern Arizona University School of Art
Admissions Assistant Director
Michigan State University-Honors College
Vice Provost for Academic Resources
San Francisco State University