Manager, Social Media Strategy
- University of Denver
- Denver, CO
The Division of & Marketing & Communications serves as a strategic advisor to partners and units across campus, purposefully fulfilling partners’ goals and objectives, helping to increase knowledge, support enrollment and engage students, alumni, faculty and staff. The division proactively shapes the University’s brand and optimizes the University’s reputation internally and externally in a transparent manner. In words, in pictures, online and in the news media, the Division of Marketing & Communications shares the many stories of how DU and its people are improving the human condition, for the purpose of advancing the University’s strategies. The team specializes in brand management, strategic communication, community engagement, media relations, digital and social media strategy, website development, content training and strategy, print and online publications and videography and photography.
The Marketing & Communications Department is committed to building a diverse and inclusive educational and working environment. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will advance this commitment through their current and ongoing work duties.
Our Manager, Social Media Strategy will have the day-to-day responsibility over operations and implementing the approved social media strategy to increase visibility and traffic for our main DU accounts, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, and others as appropriate. This position will proactively disseminate editorial content through the use of social media platforms and our new marketing automation platform technology.
The use of social channels and tools will focus on integrated and strategic communications, leveraging a highly collaborative partnership with our central Communication Department, Creative Department and Web Team. Our goal is to enhance reach and increase engagement for DU’s external relations, but also, and as appropriate, will work closely with and advise our social media, marketing and communications professionals across admission and advancement, as well as the University’s schools, centers and institutes.
The Manager, Social Media Strategy will work with their supervisor, the Director, Digital Communications, and key individuals across campus to define and analyze complex problems and make sound decisions for social media communications. The Manager, Social Media Strategy will work closely with the Director, Digital Communications and key individuals across campus to co-lead the development and implementation of our organization-wide social media management standards, governance, policies and rules of engagement.
He/She will be managing multiple projects simultaneously and show proactive leadership in planning to meet specified goals and deadlines.
- Co-lead the development and enforce of overall social media policies and procedures on behalf of University of Denver and monitors adherence and internal controls across channels, business units, and departments.
- Track the impact of DU’s social media presence by developing annual and long term strategic plans that conceptualize social media campaigns and tactics that drive reach and increase engagement. Assesses progress on an ongoing basis to ensure long-term strategic programs remain a priority.
- Prioritize social media work on campus to support DU’s strategic priorities, including engaging alumni and donors, supporting inclusive excellence and “One DU,” recruiting undergraduate and graduate students, and attracting talented faculty and staff.
- Maintains comprehensive set of individual and aggregate metrics reflecting growth, effectiveness, and activity on institutional centrally-maintained social media channels. Provides regular updates on performance metrics and insights to optimize ongoing efforts.
- Manages all official institutional social media accounts for University of Denver and guides best practices for the organization.
- Provides social media counsel and support to University’s communications and social media professionals on campus, located at schools, centers and institutes, identifying aspects of their operations that might be enhanced by targeted use of social media.
- Works with others in MarComm to ensure that DU’s best news is leveraged social media.
- Serves as expert counsel and creative consultant regarding use of social media. Ensures effectiveness of social media and encourages adoption of consistent and relevant social media techniques, best practices and institutional policies.
- Spots and leverages social media emerging trends and forecasts; learns new tools and applications; monitors developments in social media and mobile technology to identify opportunities for innovation and collaboration with key players at DU and in the social media/mobile technology sectors.
- Continually optimizing best-in-class social media presence for DU, connecting present and future audiences with creative and strategic content that inspires pride and engagement.
- Leverages our social media listening tool, developing an approach, including identification and procurement of tools and data subscriptions required to provide this capability to social media administrators throughout the University.
- Serve on DU’s core crisis communications/issues management team for to leverage social media channels for keeping the community safe and informed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to understand, embrace and demonstrate a commitment to the University of Denver’s vision and mission;
- A team player, adept at building relationships and strengthening ties across the MarComm department and DU Schools;
- Ability to develop and deliver content on deadline;
- Ability to be flexible with assignments and multiple priorities;
- A strong desire to learn new skills as the opportunities or the need arises;
- Must possess excellent writing and grammar skills, along with the general ability to communicate clearly in oral and written form;
- Knowledge of web-based journalism principles and techniques, with strong writing and editing skills;
- Ability to vary communication tones and voice as appropriate to best leverage different social media channels/platforms;
- Must possess superior organization skills; and
- Positive outlook and professional demeanor.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in communications or related field with concentration in social media management.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a communications or marketing capacity, preferably in a public relations or university setting.
- Experience in strategic planning and informed decisions including developing, executing, and measuring the effectiveness of social media programming via various channels.
- Excellent written, verbal, visual communication and presentation skills.
- Natural aptitude for responding quickly to changing priorities, crises, and deadlines
- Extremely creative self-starter with strong work ethic, team orientation and commitment to quality and inclusive excellence
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Evenings and weekends as required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, April 22, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
2. Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
More search results
Chief Diversity Officer
Stony Brook University
CHIEF INCLUSION AND DIVERSITY OFFICER
Chief Information Officer
Reference Librarian - Business
University of Maine
Degree Progress and Curricular Specialist
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee Registrar's Office