Dean- Division of Science
- CUNY City College of New York
- New York, NY
Dean- Division of Science
Job ID: 20397
Location: City College of New York
The City College of New York (CCNY) seeks its second Martin & Michele Cohen Dean of Science. The first endowed deanship in the College's 172-year history, the Cohen Deanship was made possible by a $10 million gift to the Division of Science in 2012 from alumnus Martin Cohen and his wife, Michele. The gift also funds endowed professorships and funds for faculty and student support.
CCNY seeks an exceptional individual to serve as its next Dean of the Division of Science. As the chief academic officer for the Division, the Dean will set the standard for intellectual engagement and accomplishment, provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of the academic and scholarly programs, and create an environment and community that support the Division's faculty, staff and students. In particular, the Dean will see that the Division continues to serve its students with academic programs of the highest quality and effectiveness, promoting excellence as well as diversity in undergraduate and graduate degree programs. In concert with the faculty, the Dean will be responsible for student and faculty recruitment, retention and diversity. Supporting the Division's research mission, the Dean will promote opportunities to advance the scholarly activities of the faculty and, when appropriate, work to establish new programs, including the opportunities that interdisciplinary approaches afford through partnerships with other academic units, both within and outside the College.
The Dean, reporting to the Provost, oversees a school, division, academic program and/or function to enhance its profile, visibility, and effectiveness. He/she develops long and short-range plans, and exercises management responsibility for academic program planning, faculty matters, and administration, including staffing, budgets, and facilities. He/she fosters a high-quality environment of academic teaching, research, and intellectual achievement, and creates and strengthens partnerships within and outside the College as a strong advocate.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Long the flagship of the City University of New York, The City College of New York is a Carnegie-classified 'Doctoral Universities: High Research Activity' institution that enrolls more than 15,500 students and operates in the context of the largest urban public comprehensive university in the nation. With this appointment, the recently appointed President and Provost are creating a leadership team that will build on the College's storied history and current strengths to ensure for its remarkably diverse students a scholarly environment that serves as a pathway to advanced education and a foundation for their contributions as leaders in a global society.
City College is an institution of distinctive strengths: its faculty is distinguished for its scholarship and for its commitment to teaching excellence in both the liberal arts and sciences and in the professional schools. The beautiful campus, dating from the early 201h century, recently expanded with the construction of two new, state-of-the-art science buildings. The student body is thriving at both undergraduate and graduate levels, with ever-better prepared entrants.
The Dean will serve as the principal steward for the division's resources - faculty, staff, and students - and will oversee the division's budget and facilities. With responsibility for the division's share of the College's campaign, the Dean will work closely with the Office of Development and Institutional Advancement and will take a leading role in attracting external funding from federal agencies, corporations, foundations and interested donors to support the division's mission. The Dean will represent the Division broadly, serving as emissary and advocate to both internal and external constituencies.
Reporting to the Provost, the Dean will work collaboratively with the President, Vice Presidents and department chairs at City College and with counterparts across the City University of New York. In particular, the Dean will work closely with the other City College Deans to forge positive relationships and pursue common interests in support of the College's institutional priorities.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. For this deanship, a Ph.D. is preferred.
The College seeks distinguished and accomplished scholars and teachers, committed to the success of its students, with the leadership experience and talents to define, with the faculty, the future of the institution.
The successful candidate will be an energetic, self-assured academic leader of stature, able to inspire the faculty and students with a sense of pride and purpose and infuse the division and its programs with the highest quality. The candidate will possess a Ph.D. degree in a relevant discipline and an outstanding record of teaching, research, and service that will warrant appointment as tenured full professor. In addition, the candidate will have significant senior-level experience in managing complex programs, and will possess:
- the ability, in conjunction with the faculty and the Division's other administrative leaders, to articulate and build consensus for a vision for the Division and to develop and realize a plan to achieve it;
- the ability to provide creative and distinctive academic leadership to the Division and its programs, exercising extraordinary academic judgment, and continually seeking opportunities to advance academic excellence;
- a commitment to supporting and cultivating a distinguished, accomplished and diverse faculty, and the experience to do so;
- deep respect for and engagement with students, coupled with a commitment to attract the strongest of them, preserving and extending their diversity at both undergraduate and graduate levels;
- clear appreciation for and demonstrated commitment to gender equity among faculty and students;
- the intellectual leadership and curiosity to provide guidance to a robust research program;
- the willingness to oversee, with the faculty, curriculum development of the Division, and to monitor its delivery to students at both undergraduate and graduate levels;
- a demonstrated commitment to cross-disciplinary programs;
- the ability to lead sophisticated and effective development and fundraising activities;
- the ability to articulate the Division's vision, goals, accomplishments and needs to a broad range of external constituencies, including alumni, academic, cultural and social institutions, and the business and industrial communities;
- experience in managing growth and change, resolving conflict, and building consensus, demonstrating a willingness to seize opportunities, while assuming responsibility for appropriate risks;
- strong management and organizational skills;
- a strong record of college or university leadership and the ability to serve as an advocate for the Division in the College and University context
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
CUNY's benefits contribute significantly to total compensation, supporting health and wellness, financial well-being, and professional development. We offer a range of health plans, competitive retirement/pension benefits and savings plans, tuition waivers for CUNY graduate study and generous paid time off. Our staff also benefits from the extensive academic, arts, and athletic programs on our campuses and the opportunity to participate in a lively, diverse academic community in one of the greatest cities in the world.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications, including a cover letter and curriculum vitae/resume, must be submitted using the CUNYfirst job application website.
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYfirst, please click on "Apply Now'' on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More options to search for CUNY jobs"
- Search by Job Opening ID number 20397
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Open until filled with review of applications to begin on April 29, 2019
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
More search results
TenTenure-Track Faculty - Strategic Management
College of Business Administration - CSU, Sacramento
Dean of the School of Business
St. Catherine University
Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Assistant Professor of Economics and Public Servi…
NYU Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service