Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion
- Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Denver, Colorado
Metropolitan State University of Denver (MSU Denver) invites inquiries, nominations and applications for a visionary and inspiring leader to serve as the Vice President for Diversity and Inclusion (VPDI). The University seeks a Vice President who is a collaborative leader and possesses a passion for equity, a broad concept of diversity and inclusion, a strong appreciation for the academic environment, a demonstrated administrative competence, and a commitment to MSU Denver’s vision and values. MSU Denver is poised to create a more dramatic imprint in the City of Denver, the State of Colorado, and beyond. The Vice President will play a key role in these efforts.
Established in 1965 as Colorado’s “College of Opportunity”, MSU Denver is a comprehensive, baccalaureate and master’s degree granting urban university that offers arts and sciences, professional, and business courses and programs to a diverse student population. Over the last decade, as part of its journey to become a preeminent public urban university, Metropolitan State College of Denver received legislative authority to change its name to Metropolitan State University of Denver and become a master’s-degree-granting educational institution.
Since 2005, MSU Denver has increased the number of degrees it has granted annually from 2,280 to 3,445 and in the last 10 years its first-time freshman retention rate has improved from 62 percent to 65 percent (2005 – 2015). Total student headcount is approximately 20,000, taught by 1,452 faculty members and supported by 709 staff members. Over the past 12 years, the diversity of the University’s student population has increased to 44% students of color, and with a 28% Latino undergraduate population, the institution has recently achieved Hispanic Serving Institution status. By strategically creating public-private partnerships in areas such as hotel management, advanced manufacturing and modern music education, MSU Denver has offered students unique opportunities to be prepared for the workplace, while also serving the workforce needs of Colorado. For more information about MSU Denver, please visit https://msudenver.edu/.
Reporting directly the President, the VPDI is a member of MSU Denver’s Senior Leader Team and serves on the President’s Cabinet. The VPDI advises the President and Vice Presidents on matters including campus climate and community relations as these affect MSU Denver's objectives for greater diversity and inclusive excellence. The VPDI will supervise the Office of Diversity and Inclusion’s staff: the Executive Director of Inclusion and HSI, the Diversity Coordinator, and an Administrative Assistant. This leadership position fosters change and embraces the values of equity and inclusion as critical components of MSU Denver’s continued commitment to ensuring the success of its students. This includes working collaboratively with the senior leaders within the divisions of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and other members of the executive team on matters affecting the recruitment, monitoring, hiring, and retention of faculty and staff that are reflective of MSU Denver’s student body and community.
The VPDI will promote initiatives that address the issues of diversity, access, retention, and inclusion and will serve as a champion for these endeavors within all university strategic planning processes. In doing so, the VPDI will help guide the continued development of an inclusive campus community that nurtures learning and growth for all its members. Moreover, the VPDI will assess the University’s needs related to equity, inclusion, and retention, make recommendations regarding improvements relative to campus climate, and coordinate with all divisions on campus to provide training for senior leadership, faculty, staff, and student leaders—ensuring that issues of diversity and inclusion are prominent in their decision making, event planning, and organizational cultures.
For information regarding the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, please visit https://msudenver.edu/diversity/.
MSU Denver seeks a dynamic candidate who demonstrates cultural awareness and agility, exercises emotional intelligence, builds trust and credibility, and collaborates with a wide variety of stakeholders. The successful candidate will have the ability to articulate in verbal and written form the importance of equity and inclusion to the broader education mission of higher education institutions. They will have an in-depth knowledge of theory and practice with regard to leadership in diversity, human development, training and change management; knowledge of the academy; an excellent track record in managing change; and experience as an organizational leader. In addition, the successful candidate must possess:
- An earned doctorate or equivalent terminal degree;
- 5 years of successful and progressive experience in a leadership and supervisory role directly related to diversity, inclusion, and equity;
- A demonstrated record of success leading institutional initiatives, building programs, and promoting diversity in a complex organizational setting;
- Knowledge of concepts, theory, and scholarship on ethnicity, class, gender, sexual orientation, undocumented immigrants, privilege, veterans issues, the differently abled, and the intersections of these and other social identities;
- Successful record of influence, community building, networking, and deploying effective programs for diversity and inclusion;
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty on projects that improve their understanding and implementation of inclusive classroom instruction;
- Demonstrated vision regarding future trends and the changing higher education environment;
- Demonstrated background developing diversity/inclusion programs for faculty, staff, and students;
- Expertise presenting, writing about, and discussing difficult or controversial topics with diverse audiences in a way that promotes productive interactions and positive outcomes;
- Highest ethics, integrity and confidentiality consistent with the position;
- Previous experience developing and facilitating professional development training for staff and faculty on inclusive and culturally relevant pedagogy, diversity and hiring, and anti-bias practices including implementation, compliance and regulation;
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of the procedural knowledge for responding to bias incidents when they occur on campus;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, student success and working with broadly diverse communities.
- Higher education leadership experience, including significant organizational oversight and direct experience working with faculty, staff and students;
- A knowledge of multiple languages;
- Knowledge of or experience working with an Affirmative Action Plan and/or Diversity Plan.
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit: a current resume or curriculum vitae and a cover letter describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All applications and nominations will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted by email to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Refer to code “MSUDenver-VPDI” in the subject line
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
More search results
TenTenure-Track Faculty - Strategic Management
College of Business Administration - CSU, Sacramento
Dean of the School of Business
St. Catherine University
Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream
Dept.of Computer Science, University of Toronto
Assistant Professor of Economics and Public Servi…
NYU Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service