Theater Design & Production Program, Sound Faculty
- California Institute of the Arts
- Valencia, California
Information & Responsibilities:
The Programs in Design & Production in the CalArts School of Theater, one of the foremost performance design programs in the world, seeks applicants for a full time faculty position to support interdisciplinary design education, with a particular emphasis on Sound Practices,
beginning in Fall of 2019.
CalArts seeks to employ faculty who can engage our diverse communities of learners at the highest levels of artistic endeavor and critical thinking. Across the range of practitioners from artists to scholars and librarians, we welcome candidates who possess a demonstrated
worldview and cultural competency to support teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities, and gender expressions. CalArts is an equal opportunity employer.
The position includes teaching departmental courses, mentoring both BFA and MFA students with cross-disciplinary impulses, advising student involvement in Theater School projects, and being part of a faculty team dedicated to fostering programmatic growth in this area. We seek a collaborative, curious, and conceptual critical thinker who is highly engaged in the design community. The successful candidate will teach courses to both BFA and MFA students and will work closely with the faculty cohort to create and implement new curriculum on an ongoing basis.
The primary emphasis for the position will be on sound and sonic practices, and how they interface with live performance, film, interactive media and new technologies.
The position also includes, but is not limited to, annual recruitment duties, service on committees and administrative responsibilities.
● Class preparation, classroom instruction, and grading for four classes per semester
● Attending D&P faculty and full faculty meetings as scheduled throughout the year
● Participating in student reviews each semester and providing written evaluations, mentor
reports, and reviews for each of the students
● Mentoring on curricular productions throughout the year
● Committee Service
● Maintaining professional practice
● Various other duties, as assigned by the Program Director and Dean’s Office
The ideal candidate has a commitment to current technologies and practices with a deep understanding of emerging artists’ learning needs. We seek candidates who can demonstrate experience in creating and implementing new curriculum and the creation of pedagogical models for design teaching.
Successful candidates must embrace cross-disciplinary approaches to design practice in its broadest definition, and must show an aptitude for mentoring students with far ranging interests. Classes can and will evolve based on the needs of the Theater School and in consultation with
the Program Director and Dean.
Mentorship of students is the cornerstone of the CalArts School of Theater. Even though each student is assigned to one specific mentor, it is the responsibility of the faculty to advise any student in the School of Theater if they have the knowledge or expertise that the student requires. The faculty of Design will be assigned both BFA and MFA design students and will be required to follow the mentoring guidelines in the theater school handbook, which includes
attending student production meetings, rehearsals and performances as part of the mentoring process.
The ideal candidate is an artist with a strong professional practice, a firm commitment to teaching, a dedication to working with a culturally, economically and intellectually diverse community of artists, and a mastery of current practices in the field of Design.
Ideal candidates should:
● Have at least two or more years of teaching at the college level
● Be an artist/teacher of considerable professional reputation, with significant associations and experience across performance contexts.
● Demonstrate a strong record of accomplishment, and enjoy an ongoing career in their field of expertise.
● Demonstrate a commitment to theater as an expanded and changing field, through both professional work and teaching experience.
● Possess effective leadership and organizational skills
● Demonstrate experience and willingness to teach both basic métier courses, as well as develop new special topics or interdisciplinary courses that continue to address the changing field
● Value and demonstrate experience working with a diverse population of students and varied learning styles at both undergraduate and graduate levels
How to Apply
Review of applications will begin April 8, 2019.
Interested applicants should submit the following:
● A letter of application
● A summary of teaching philosophy
● Brief artist statement
● A current curriculum vitae or professional resume
● A list of 3 professional references
● A website or other link to professional work
Application materials may be mailed to Peter Flaherty, Attention: Design Faculty Search, Peter Flaherty, CalArts School of Theater, 24700 McBean Parkway, Valencia, CA 91355 or sent via email to email@example.com with Design Faculty Search in the subject line.
Additional inquiries can be addressed to:
Shannon Scrofano, Associate Director of Design and Production.
All submissions will be treated confidentially.
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.
More search results
General Counsel and Vice Chancellor for Legal Aff…
City University of New York
Assistant Vice President and Director for Interna…
Texas State University
City University of New York Baruch College
Foundation Chief Financial Officer #604499
Northern Arizona University
Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor for Academi…
University of Michigan Dearborn