Dean of Academic Affairs
- Pine Manor College
- Brookline, MA
Dean of Academic Affairs
Pine Manor College
Pine Manor College (PMC) seeks an accomplished, creative, and collaborative individual to serve as its next Dean of Academic Affairs beginning July 1, 2019. The Dean of Academic Affairs will be a seasoned leader with a deep understanding of the 21st century higher education landscape and have experience cultivating solutions and setting ambitious goals for PMC’s remarkable students. The Dean of Academic Affairs is the Chief Academic Officer of the College.
The College’s strategic plan articulates strengthening academic programs that will expand opportunities for all students. In addition, PMC has sought to maintain its academic traditions while continually reinterpreting its goals and revising its programs to meet the changing needs of its students. Consistent with all position requirements at PMC, this position will be responsible for growing the graduation rate of all of its students as the champion of all matters academic as indicated in the newly defined mission statement.
PMC has been committed to excellence in equity, diversity, social justice, and inclusivity for nearly 20 years and continues to serve a critical societal and educational mission by educating and graduating a majority minority (approximately 85% students of color) first generation low-income (FGLI) population (approximately 84% first generation and 80% Pell grant eligible) through its degree-granting undergraduate programs. As a result, the College delivers an ambitious individualized approach that has resulted in a graduation rate that is approximately three times the national average for this student demographic.
As a key member of the President’s leadership team, the Dean of Academic Affairs will play a critical role in advancing the remarkable growth trajectory Pine Manor College has enjoyed by increasing student success through collaborative learning and student empowerment; cultivating a robust, supportive and inclusive community; facilitating reciprocal partnerships, and prioritizing institutional sustainability and capacity building. In addition to enhancing student success, the Dean of Academic Affairs will collaborate closely with the faculty on academic strategic planning, professional development and evaluation, accreditation, faculty recruitment and development, the championing of best pedagogy practices, and curriculum assessment and planning. As the leader of faculty, the Dean of Academic Affairs will actively mentor and develop full-time and part-time faculty, lead faculty planning and recruitment and retention efforts, and, with all faculty, maintain extensive communication to listen, to understand, and to share with senior leadership those faculty ideas, suggestions, and concerns about academic matters at Pine Manor College.
Key objective and responsibilities of the Dean of Academic Affairs include:
- Recommend the allocation of resources, particularly among academic units, in the context of shared implementation of the College’s strategic plan and priorities;
- Collaborate with the Dean of Admissions and the Dean of Student Affairs in developing academic offerings and enrollment strategies consistent with the needs of the unique Pine Manor College student body, their program needs, and pedagogical delivery methods of the future;
- Oversight of academic grants and contracts;
- Represent the President on all academic affairs with the Board of Trustees and coordinate the President’s Academic Advisory Boards;
- Recruit, mentor, manage, and retain a diverse group of faculty, both full-time and part-time, with varying expectations for teaching loads, administrative responsibilities, and scholarly output;
- Preserve and strengthen a culture of shared governance across the College with the goal of aligning the work of faculty and staff with the shared vision of the College as described in the Strategic Plan 2017-2022;
- Use data to evaluate existing programs to determine their efficacy and perpetuation and to build new academic programs, leading to sustained financial strength and new revenue streams;
- Serve as a responsible steward of academic excellence and financial resources, the Dean of Academic Affairs by engaging and identifying trends in higher education nationally and locally;
- Identify and resolve daily issues and conflicts inherent in all academic organizations; build revenue streams across all educational programs; and leverage leading-edge technology in teaching and learning.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of six years of teaching experience, commitment to student success, and evidence of a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. A respect for and commitment to the ideals of a Pine Manor College education is essential; a record of scholarship and service, and experience supporting philanthropic efforts is highly desirable. A doctorate degree is required; credentials for tenure in an academic environment at PMC or similar institution are preferred. The ideal candidate will have the ability to lead through collaborative and shared decision-making and will have experience attaining goals and effectively nurturing and advancing change. The ability to build and maintain strong and collegial relationships with Pine Manor College’s distinctive students, with its faculty and administration, and with trustees is essential. In addition to unparalleled personal integrity, ethics, and initiative, the successful candidate will effectively manage ambiguity and complexity and demonstrate perseverance in providing steady leadership.
Pine Manor College has engaged Andy Evans, Liz Neumann, and Malissa Brennan of Koya Leadership Partners to assist in this search. Please see the full position description HERE.
Pine Manor College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to being the place where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, to stay, and to do their best work.
More search results
Dean, College of Engineering, Computer Science, a…
California State University, Chico
Assistant or Associate Professor and Director of …
Dean of Faculty and Vice President of Academic Af…
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management
San Diego State University
Johns Hopkins University