CEO / Dean
- Helena College
- Helena, Montana
The Montana University System and Helena College community have opened the search for a new CEO/Dean. Helena College, comprising two sites in the capital city at the Donaldson and Airport campuses, is an important presence for the two-year college sector in the state. The CEO/Dean reports to the Commissioner of Higher Education. The college is affiliated with the University of Montana.
Established in 1939, Helena College boasts a rich history of serving residents and businesses throughout the city and state. A dedicated cadre of faculty and staff guides over 1,500 students in 28 associate degrees and certificates in various programs of study, ranging from general education to career and technical education. In keeping with the college’s mission and vision, Helena College strives to provide access to high quality, lifelong education opportunities. Helena College is accredited fully and independently by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. It also is recognized by the ASE Education Foundation, the Federal Aviation Administration, the Montana State Board of Nursing, the Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation, the National League for Nursing, and the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress.
The college’s Search Advisory Committee seeks an inspiring, transformational, can-do leader. The committee desires a dynamic, politically astute, forward-thinking CEO who will be a forthright champion of the college. The CEO/Dean should bring a vision that balances general education and transfer pathways with career and technical education. Likewise, engagement in support of the current strategic and enrollment plans will be expected. He or she should be visible, approachable, and congenial for the college community. Additional characteristics of leadership sought in the new CEO/Dean include:
• Carries a students-first, student-centered learning focus with knowledge of the traditional, non-traditional, and adult learner;
• Understanding of enrollment management strategies, including growth, retention, access, and success;
• Proven competence in budgeting, financial planning and management, and fundraising;
• Genuine understanding of the balance between college-wide governance and responsible leadership;
• Commitment to diversity, a culture of inclusiveness, and the college’s established diversity core values;
• Experience in collaborations and partnerships with stakeholder groups, including the state legislature, city leaders, foundations, businesses, K-12, and other institutions of higher education;
• Ability to cultivate and advance an environment conducive to continuous improvement;
• Team builder and ability to advocate for the college as part of a statewide team, working with the Board of Regents and Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education;
• Excellent communication skills, practicing a transparent open-door, open-mind style as a learner and a listener;
• Two-year higher education management experience with knowledge of higher education policies, practices, and trends (preferred); and
• Earned terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher learning (preferred).
To assure best consideration, applications should be received by April 1, 2019. The application must include a two to four-page letter of interest specifically addressing the applicant’s background in relationship to the expectations described; a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of at least five professional references with each person’s position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. The new CEO/Dean will assume office by July 2019.
The Helena College University of Montana CEO/Dean search is being assisted by James H. McCormick, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188, and Janice S. Fitzgerald, email@example.com, 717-580-0663, AGB Search. Nominations and applications may be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information can be found at www.helenacollege.edu and https://www.agbsearch.com/searches/ceodean-helena-college.
Each campus of the Montana University System shall ensure that no employment or educational policy is discriminatory on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, political ideas, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, national origin, or ancestry unless based on reasonable grounds.