Chief Human Resources Officer
- University of California, Merced
- Merced, CA
Chief Human Resources Officer
University of California, Merced
UC Merced was conceived both to serve the needs of the rapidly growing Central Valley, one of the world's most productive agricultural regions, and to increase access to the University of California system (UC system) for California's top achievers. Since opening in 2005, UC Merced has grown enrollment to over 7,881 students, including over 600 graduate students, and has an all funds budget exceeding $300 million. The campus is expected to grow to accommodate 10,000 students by approximately 2020 and to a total of 25,000 students within three decades. While the campus has developed 815 acres to date, the total campus span, the largest in the University of California system, totals 8,195 acres with development underway for an additional 1.2 million gross square feet of useable space through fiscal year 2020, including three new teaching and research lab buildings, 1,700 beds of on-campus housing, dedicated space for student life and organizations, new dining options and more. While UC Merced consists of three schools, the School of Engineering, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts, there are plans to open a School of Management in the future.
UC Merced is the most ethnically diverse campus in the UC system and has been designated as a Hispanic-Serving Institution by the U.S. Department of Education. Sixty percent of the undergraduates are first generation college students. The campus represents an important point of pride for the city of Merced (pop. 80,000), a city within driving distance of Yosemite National Park and the Sierra Nevadas, as well as the state capitol in Sacramento, the San Francisco Bay Area, Napa Valley, and the Monterey coast. In addition to its educational and research mission, UC Merced is an important strategic investment in California's future economy. The campus serves as an engine of economic growth throughout the San Joaquin Valley. To learn more about UC system and the Merced campus, please refer to the University's website at http://www.ucmerced.edu.
The Assistant/Associate Vice Chancellor of Human Resources / Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) for the University of California, Merced (UC Merced), will oversee all facets of the human resources function including people strategy, workforce planning, talent management, employee relations, labor relations, benefits, compensation, training and development, welfare programs, and payroll for the youngest, fastest-growing public research university in the nation. In our young history and unique culture, UC Merced has the feel of a maturing start-up organization – more innovative, nimble and entrepreneurial than older, more traditional research universities.
Unlike its sister UC campuses, which have had decades to diversify their revenue streams, UC
Merced remains heavily tuition-dependent in an era of declining State support. This has provided the opportunity for UC Merced to exercise creativity and efficiency in the development of technology systems and the deployment of its workforce to keep up with the five-year Workforce Planning Initiative. Therefore, we are seeking a candidate for this role that understands that off the shelf organizational structures, systems and processes may not necessarily work at UC Merced and the successful candidate will bring a record of innovation and efficiency.
The CHRO is responsible for strategic leadership of the HR function as it relates to staff resources, daily supervision of its employees and workflow, and delivery of counsel, services, and HR systems and programs for the University. S/he will be expected to play a leadership role in collaborative partnerships across campus by providing advice, guidance and assistance to senior leadership across UC Merced. The Chief Human Resources Officer is recognized as an influential leader. One of the unique advantages of being part of the University of California system is that the successful candidate will have access to a network of talented professionals individuals across the entire University of California system.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to provide Human Resource services that are responsive to the needs of its campus customers, who require speed, responsiveness, transparency and an understanding of their unique personnel needs while at the same time ensuring compliance with federal, state and UC system wide laws and regulations. UC Merced needs Human Resources leadership who can create a culture that satisfies both its customer service and compliance requirements.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and 6 years of related experience OR 10 years of related equivalent experience / training.
• 10 years of senior leadership/management experience and 8 years of leadership/management experience in Human Resources, preferably a higher education, unionized environment.
• Substantial knowledge of personnel administration, with demonstrated knowledge and experience working in the following areas of human resources: employment, classification/compensation, labor relations, employee relations, benefits, training, and affirmative action.
• Makes a decisions regarding hiring, evaluating, and development of subordinates; discretion in determining the best way of achieving unit goals.
• Has excellent management skills that include collaboration, coaching and developing subordinates; ability to build relationships. Demonstrated ability to handle extremely difficult or volatile situations/individuals effectively.
• Expert skills to work collaboratively and act persuasively in sensitive situations; skills in conflict management techniques.
• Strong working knowledge of the full scope of human resources activities in a complex organization; demonstrated understanding of best practice public sector policies and practices.
• Strong knowledge and understanding of human capital management (HCM) theory and practices with demonstrated ability to effectively lead campus partnerships into deeper adoption of HCM culture and realization of greater process efficiencies and talent optimizations.
• Expert communication skills; high level of political acumen.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of organizational design and organization development, with willingness to champion progressive and innovative organizational approaches within constraints of University practices and policies.
• Workforce Planning experience
• Advanced degree AND/OR PHR/SPHR certification
• Higher Education experience
• Experience in a union / represented environment
To apply, visit: https://jobs.ucmerced.edu/n/staff/position.jsf?positionId=8714
Please apply by the priority review deadline of April 11th.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Senior Instructional Designer
The University of Pittsburgh
Dean, Lutgert College of Business
Florida Gulf Coast University
Associate Vice President
Library Specialist in Classics, University of Cin…
University of Cincinnati
Vice President for Finance and Administration