DEAN COLLEGE OF LETTERS, ARTS & SOCIAL SCIENCES
COLLEGE OF LETTERS, ARTS & SOCIAL SCIENCES
California State University, East Bay seeks a collaborative leader and accomplished administrator who will work with the faculty to provide an ethnically and culturally diverse student body with a liberal education that enables them to become thoughtful and creative members of the workforce and society.
The University: Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
The College: The College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences (CLASS), the largest of four colleges in the university, houses traditional and online programs in the arts, humanities, and social sciences, as well as multi-disciplinary, interdisciplinary, and graduate professional and undergraduate pre-professional programs having strong liberal arts components. It includes the Departments of Anthropology/Geography/Environmental Studies, Art, Communication, Criminal Justice, English, Ethnic Studies, History, Human Development and Women’s Studies, Modern Languages and Literatures, Music, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Political Science, Public Affairs and Administration, Sociology, Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences, Social Work, Theatre and Dance, and a number of centers and programs. CLASS has approximately 111 tenured/tenure track faculty, 10 Full-time lecturers, and 195 part-time faculty, and 40 administrative and department staff, and offers undergraduate and master's degree programs to more than 4,000 majors. The Dean is the academic leader of the college and reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The Position: The Dean works closely with the Council of CLASS Chairs and with faculty governance, and is responsible for:
- Developing recognition for the college regionally, nationally, and globally;
- Securing and supporting high quality teaching, faculty research, and creative and professional activities;
- Building and maintaining quality academic and professional degree programs, including accreditation for the college’s programs;
- Working with the faculty to implement sound educational planning and policies, including innovative curricular and scholarly development;
- Expanding advancement efforts,
- Building strong relationships with alumni, industry, government, and the community;
- Being the primary advocate for the college both within and outside the university;
- Effectively managing personnel, programs, and financial resources;
- Overseeing all programs of the college, including negotiation of terms with CSUEB partners; Initiating and maintaining cooperative relationships with other universities, community colleges, community organizations, and state and local agencies; and
- The incumbent in this position will be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The salary range will be from $190,000 - $205,000 per year.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have demonstrated:
- Educational and scholarly achievements commensurate with appointment as a full professor in CLASS at CSUEB;
- Ability to master and implement the policies and procedures of a large complex public university system and to manage the administrative details associated with these;
- Substantial successful administrative experience as a dean, associate dean, or department or program chair;
- Evidence of success as a strong advocate for the value of a liberal arts education;
- Evidence of a strong and collegial relationship with faculty, students, staff and administration;
- Demonstrated ability to provide strong leadership through collaborative and shared decision making;
- A record of building and proactively supporting faculty research and development;
- Experience in administering or working with programs that serve an educationally, ethnically and linguistically diverse student population; and
- Ability to effectively engage in fundraising activities.
Process: CSUEB is committed to creating a community in which a diverse population can learn, live, and work in an atmosphere of tolerance, civility, and respect for the rights and sensibilities of each individual, without regard to economic status, ethnic background, political views, or the characteristics or beliefs. The University especially welcomes and encourages applications from women and minority candidates.
The University will begin accepting applications and nominations immediately and will begin reviewing applications on March 20, 2019 and continue until the position is filled. Applicants should submit a letter of interest, complete vitae, and the names, addresses and telephone numbers of at least five references.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first-time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.
More search results
Director of the Chaifetz Center for Entrepreneur…
Saint Louis University
VICE PRESIDENT OF UNIVERSITY ADVANCEMENT/CEO OF T…
Florida Polytechnic University
CSUCI Faculty Development Director
CSU Channel Islands
ASSISTANT VICE PRESIDENT FOR HUMAN RESOURCES
Assistant, Associate or Full Professor (HS Clin, …
University of California, San Diego