Executive Director, Global Education Office
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Richmond, VA
Title: Executive Director, Global Education Office
Position Number: 586000
Position Type: Staff
Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Indicator: Exempt
Department: Global Education Office
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities:
Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) invites nominations, expressions of intent, and applications for an exceptional leader to serve as the Executive Director of Global Education. The Executive Director will work across the University administration, faculty, staff and students to build and implement a strategic vision for current and future globally oriented programs and initiatives at VCU.
As a 21st century research university committed to inclusion, access and excellence; innovative and transformative learning; impactful research; exceptional patient care and beneficial community impact, internationalizing the University is a critical element of our success. As such, the Global Education Office (GEO) is transforming itself to be the central service unit for the University. The programs and services offered by GEO range from global outreach, education abroad, VCU’s English Language Program, international students and scholars success, and GLOBE, one of VCU’s award-winning living-learning programs. The creation of a new international pathways program, VCU’s Global Student Success Program, also provides additional opportunities for expanding the breadth and depth of GEO.
The executive director will set the strategic vision of the office and work with University administrators and the Global Student Success Program to determine global strategy of the institution. They will also work to facilitate an even deeper engagement of VCU’s students and faculty with partners around the world, while growing the University’s international visibility and reputation.
The executive director reports to the Senior Vice Provost for Academic Affairs and is a key member of the Provost’s leadership team.
The chief purpose of this position is to provide innovative leadership for GEO in order to support the University in increasing the global impact of research, teaching and service and in expanding the role of VCU on the world stage. The incumbent will be responsible for the process of comprehensive internationalization at VCU.
Minimum Hiring Standards:
The Executive Director of Global will be an innovative, entrepreneurial and experienced leader. The candidate will bring to the role a record of achievement reflective of the University’s standards of excellence, coupled with integrity and vision. Specifically, VCU seeks:
• Experience in comprehensive internationalization, education abroad, international enrollment management, and international student and scholar services
• Demonstrated success in the development and engagement of significant budgets
• Successful experience in working with faculty members, administrators and senior management
• Ability to represent the University and generate programs and partnerships
• Ability to maintain a professional appearance and provide a positive image of the program to the public
• Prior experience in developing and executing long-term strategy, recruiting and retaining international students, and managing international programs in higher education
• Experience working with diverse populations
• An earned doctorate in any academic discipline is preferred
• A strong vision for global engagement across all academic sectors and a commitment to such engagement.
• Evidence of support for high quality academic engagement
• Senior administrative experience in a position of international service
• Familiarity with federal regulations governing the approvals for entrance of international students and scholars to the U.S.
• Familiarity with student services for international students enrolled in academic programs in the U.S.
• Excellent communication skills, with evidence of team-building and peer leadership
• Familiarity with international affiliation protocols
• Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion
Anticipated Hiring Range:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Process/Additional Information:
Applications will only be accepted electronically through the VCU Jobs site. The link to apply is below:
For best consideration, please submit application materials prior to March 8, 2019. Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc. is assisting Virginia Commonwealth University in this search. Inquiries, nominations, and applications are invited. The search will be conducted with a commitment to confidentiality for candidates until finalists are selected. Initial screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until an appointment is made. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. Confidential inquiries and nominations and should be directed to Greenwood/Asher. Basic personal and demographic information must also be submitted to VCU’s Jobs site by March 8, 2019.
Cover Letter/Letter of Application
More search results
Senior Instructional Designer
The University of Pittsburgh
Dean, Lutgert College of Business
Florida Gulf Coast University
Associate Vice President
Library Specialist in Classics, University of Cin…
University of Cincinnati
Vice President for Finance and Administration