Director of Health System Physical Plant
- University of Virginia
- Charlottesville, VA
Director of Health System Physical Plant
The University of Virginia (UVA) invites applications for the position of Director of Health System Physical Plant. Reporting to the Associate Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer (AVP/CFO), the Director of Health System Physical Plant will provide leadership and direction for a department of about 190 professionals and skilled trades staff that operate and maintain facilities for the UVA Health System. Facilities support is provided 24/7 to a facilities portfolio of over six million square feet of patient care, research and academic space.
The UVA Health System facilities include a hospital, level I trauma center, nationally recognized cancer and heart centers and primary and specialty clinics throughout Central Virginia. The UVA School of Medicine is part of the University Health System, and is a national leader in medical education and research. The primary offices supported are the Medical Center’s Chief of Environment of Care, and the School of Medicine’s Office of Capital and Facilities Planning.
The Department is responsible for operating within developed and approved budgets, scopes and schedules as needed to meet University objectives. Departmental expenditures are approximately $40 million per year.
The successful candidate will be a recognized leader who is highly proficient in developing strategies, setting goals, allocating resources and providing innovative solutions to complex issues. They will possess strong leadership characteristics specifically related to communication, and developing strong cohesive and effective teams.
- Direct a major business unit of Facilities Management at UVA. All duties are performed independently under the supervision of the AVP/CFO.
- Supervise a professional staff and skilled trades; providing outstanding facilities management support within approved budgets.
- Exercise financial management responsibility for maintenance budgets.
- Build upon and reinforce the Facilities Management culture of continuous improvement.
- Continue to build partnerships across the UVA community and beyond.
- Consistently strive to ensure a safe work environment through education, assessment, and the demonstrated observance of sound safety practices.
The successful candidate possesses a demonstrated record of creative, inspiring, and accomplished leadership in complex environments with the highest level of commitment to advancing the organization’s goals.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture or related field from an accredited college or university is required. Master’s Degree in Engineering, Architecture or related field preferred.
- Extensive (7+ years) senior management experience with large, complex academic health care center (or equivalent) operations involving Joint Commission, life safety, ADA, NIH, and environmental codes is required. Joint Commission working knowledge is preferred.
- Certification as a Certified Healthcare Facility Manager is desirable.
- Knowledge and experience in a variety of facilities management competency areas, including facilities planning, design, procurement, construction, operations and maintenance is preferred.
- Extensive experience in developing and managing large, complex budgets with intradepartmental and interdepartmental cooperation and support is required.
- Demonstrated leadership experience of a large team with the ability to motivate and inspire others required.
- Exceptional writing, communication, interpersonal and organization skills required.
UVA Facilities Management
Facilities Management supports the University of Virginia’s wide range of research, academic and patient care programs. With over 1,200 employees dedicated to excellence, Facilities Management is responsible for the day-to-day operation, repair and maintenance of UVA’s buildings, infrastructure and grounds as well as other University-owned and leased properties. Facilities Management is comprised of four core areas of expertise: Facilities Planning & Construction, Health System Physical Plant, Operations, and Project Services. Four management services departments help oversee the internal operations of Facilities Management: Finance, Programs & Informatics, Safety, and Technology & Innovation.
About the University
The University of Virginia was founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819 to advance human knowledge, educate leaders and cultivate an informed citizenry. Today, News & World Report consistently ranks UVA in the top three public universities. In the 28 years since U.S. News began ranking public universities as a separate category, UVA has always ranked among the top three. The University of Virginia continues to place among the top 30 of the nation’s public and private universities combined.
We are a thriving and diverse global community of nearly 54,000 students, faculty and staff. University students hail from virtually every state in the nation, and 111 countries, and our 220,000 alumni around the world actively support our mission to serve the greater good.
To Apply or Nominate
To learn more about this opportunity, please visit: https://executivesearch.virginia.edu/search/director-health-system-physical-plant-facilities- management.
Applications should include a resume and letter of interest. The search will be carried out with full confidentiality; candidates will be notified before references are contacted. To be officially considered for this position, all applicants must apply through the UVA Workday portal at: https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UVAJobs/job/Charlottesville-VA/Director-of-Health-System-Physical-Plant_R0002567
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
More search results
Associate Provost and Executive Director of Caree…
Financial Aid Counselor
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Assistant Dean and Executive Director of Career S…
Director, Operations and Strategic Initiatives
University Services Associate 2
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee