Dean, College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
- Georgia Southern University
- Statesboro, GA
Georgia Southern University
College of Behavioral and Social Sciences
The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean. This position is located on the Statesboro campus.
Georgia Southern University is the state’s largest and most comprehensive center of higher education south of Atlanta. With 141 degree programs at the associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels, Georgia Southern is designated a Carnegie Doctoral/Research university and serves more than 27,000 students on three vibrant campuses— the Statesboro campus, the Armstrong campus in Savannah, and the Liberty campus in Hinesville. Georgia Southern offers an attractive campus environment that encourages learning, discovery, and personal growth. Nationally accredited academic programs prepare diverse scholars for leadership and service as working citizens.
Since 1906, the University’s hallmark has been a culture of engagement that bridges theory with practice, extends the learning environment beyond the classroom, and promotes student growth and life success. Central to the University’s mission is the faculty’s dedication to excellence in teaching and the development of a fertile learning environment exemplified by a free exchange of ideas, high academic expectations, and individual responsibility for academic achievement. Faculty, staff, and students embrace core values expressed through integrity, civility, kindness, collaboration, and a commitment to lifelong learning, wellness, and social responsibility.
Within this setting, the Dean will guide the College of Behavioral and Social Sciences and its interdisciplinary community of teacher-scholars toward a bold vision for the future dedicated to enhancing societal well-being and the quality of life of individuals, families, and communities across diverse environments and contexts.
Position Description. Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean serves as the College’s chief executive and academic officer with responsibility for the academic and outreach leadership of the College and management of its resources, including faculty and staff, physical facilities, and budget. The Dean will provide strategic vision and operational leadership to all aspects of its academic and scholarly programs, promote synergies within the College and the University, and encourage opportunities for distinctive programmatic innovation that provides transformative experiences for its students. The Dean will also be responsible for articulating the vision, mission, goals, and programs of the College to the University community, external stakeholders, and the public at large.
- A PhD or terminal degree in an academic discipline from an accredited college or university and an outstanding record of scholarly achievement commensurate with appointment as full professor with tenure in one of the departments in the College.
- A record of distinguished research, teaching, and scholarly activities; administrative and/or leadership experience in a university setting.
- A demonstrated ability to lead and manage, including management of human and financial resources; the ability to work with faculty to develop a vision and plans for the future in an environment of shared governance; the ability to function well as part of the campus leadership team.
- A commitment to fostering and sustaining a culturally diverse academic environment; a demonstrated ability to relate effectively to a wide variety of people of diverse backgrounds, including an understanding and respect for cultural, ethnic, gender, sexuality, and individual differences.
- A demonstrated ability to think strategically and bring together diverse groups of interests to coalesce in a unified vision.
- The ability to communicate effectively to build and enhance relationships with the staff, community, and various constituent groups.
- A record of success and ability in recruiting and retaining talented and diverse faculty.
- A deep commitment to academic excellence, demonstrated ability for creative leadership and management, and the energy and vigor to translate ideas into action.
- The ability to inspire faculty to excel in teaching, research, and creative activities and to reward excellence in these areas.
- A demonstrated ability to act as a facilitator with faculty and staff, bringing together diverse ideas and people in a collaborative way.
- Superior listening, communication, and analytical skills.
- Integrity and high ethical standards.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States for the duration of employment without assistance from the institution.
- A track record of success in fundraising and securing private support from donors.
- A record of success in leading through innovative organizational change in a transparent and inclusive manner.
- Experience working in a multi-campus environment and addressing diverse stakeholder needs across the organization.
- A student-centered approach coupled with a history of providing students with a high-quality educational experience and aggressively addressing issues related to student success.
Screening of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. The preferred position starting date is June 2019. A complete application consists of a letter addressing the qualifications cited above; a curriculum vitae; and the names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references. Other documentation may be requested. Finalists will be required to submit to a background investigation.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “GSU-DeanCBSS” in subject line
More information about the institution is available through http://www.georgiasouthern.edu or https://cbss.georgiasouthern.edu/. Georgia Southern University seeks to recruit individuals who are committed to working in diverse academic and professional communities and who are committed to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service within the University and beyond. The names of applicants and nominees, vitae, and other non-evaluative information may be subject to public inspection under the Georgia Open Records Act. Georgia Southern University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity institution. Individuals who need reasonable accommodations under the ADA to participate in the search process should contact the Vice Provost.