PROVOST AND SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia, seeks a dynamic and highly distinguished academic leader for its next provost and senior vice president for academic affairs. Georgia State University is the largest of the 29 public colleges and universities in the University System of Georgia and is a significant contributor to the revitalization of Atlanta's central business district. The University offers 250+ degree programs in 100 fields of study at the Atlanta Campus — the widest variety in the state. The institution is built on its impressive academic colleges, schools and units: the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, the Byrdine F. Lewis School of Nursing and Health Professions, the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Education & Human Development, the College of Law, the College of Arts, the Honors College, the Institute for Biomedical Sciences, Perimeter College, the J. Mack Robinson College of Business and the School of Public Health. The University now awards more bachelor’s degrees to African Americans than any other college or university in the United States—more than 2,000 a year—and is the only four-year public university in the nation to have no equity gaps based on race, ethnicity or income. In its 2019 “America’s Best Colleges” edition, U.S. News & World Report ranked Georgia State 2nd in the country among the top “most innovative” universities and the institution was also recognized for its strong commitment to undergraduate teaching, ranking 2nd in the nation (“America’s Best Colleges” edition, U.S. News & World Report.).
For more information visit: http://www.gsu.edu/ https://www.gsu.edu/about/
The provost, who is the chief academic officer of Georgia State University, reports to the president of the University and works in collaboration with senior leadership, faculty, students and staff. The provost is responsible for enforcing the policies and regulations adopted by the Board of Regents, the Office of the President and the University Senate.
As the chief academic officer of the University, the provost has the authority and responsibility for activities related to academic affairs in the University. This position is expected to:
- Set the academic vision for the University and work with deans, vice presidents and vice provosts to translate these into strategic goals and implementation plans;
- Recruit and appoint deans and associate provosts;
- Advocate for budget additions and make budget reallocations to encourage the most effective functioning of the academic units;
- Provide a coordinated approach for the development of academic and administrative policy;
- Promote GSU’s academic enterprise within the state of Georgia and to national and international audiences; and
- Directly supervise the associate provost for faculty affairs, the associate provost for institutional effectiveness, the associate provost for international initiatives, the associate provost for strategic initiatives and innovation, the associate provost for graduate programs, the assistant provost for administrative operations, eleven deans of the University’s colleges and administrative units, and the University ombudsperson.
The following areas are within the provost’s supervision:
- Recruitment, retention and graduation of graduate students and support for the efforts for undergraduate students;
- Accreditation by national and regional bodies; and
- Cross-college and interdisciplinary educational and research programs.
The provost also advises the president or other University officers with respect to:
- Recruitment, retention, and promotion of all faculty;
- Allocation of academic space; and
- Setting of goals for individual colleges with respect to development, research and student success.
A terminal degree from an accredited institution in an appropriate field is required; a Ph.D. is preferred. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable record of excellence in teaching, research, creative activity, and public service; substantial academic administrative experience including credentials sufficient for appointment at the rank of full professor; a belief in the power of diversity; and experience in highly successful student success initiatives. Experience in a multi-campus setting, along with strategic planning, accreditation (QEP), pre and post tenure review, faculty development, knowledge of E-learning and experiential learning is highly desired.
For best consideration, applications should be received prior to February 25, 2019. An applicant should submit a curriculum vitae, a letter of application describing relevant experiences and interest in the position, and the contact information of five professional references, with titles, addresses, business and home telephone numbers and email addresses. Submission of materials as a PDF attachment is strongly encouraged.
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, an executive search firm, is assisting Georgia State University in this search. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination including contact information for the nominee. Submission of materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged.
Confidential inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to:
Betty Turner Asher, Partner
Marion Frenche, Team Leader and Managing Consultant
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Practice Leader
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Center Drive
Suite 206 Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
Georgia State University, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an equal opportunity educational institution and is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Georgia State University does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability, or any other federal, state or local protected class.
More search results
San Francisco State University
Vice President of Student Affairs
Associate Provost for Institutional Research and …
University of Houston
Vice President for Integrated Marketing and Commu…
University of Central Missouri
Search for the Provost and Vice President for Aca…
University of Central Missouri