Montana Technological University / Butte, Montana
The Montana University System leadership and the Montana Technological University Search Advisory Committee invite applications and nominations for the position of Chancellor. The search committee seeks to identify an inspired, transformational leader committed to carrying forward the university’s special focus as a science and engineering institution. The Chancellor will provide stable, thoughtful leadership, serving as the trusted voice and vision of Montana Tech for the long-term and working effectively with the MUS Commissioner of Higher Education office and Board of Regents. The successful candidate will follow the distinguished leadership of Dr. Donald M. Blackketter, who has served Montana Tech since 2011.
Established as the Montana State School of Mines in 1900, Montana Tech comprises the College of Letters, Sciences and Professional Studies, the School of Mines and Engineering, Highlands College for associate and certificate programs, and the Graduate School. An accomplished faculty and staff serve a population of 2,583 undergraduate and graduate students. The Montana Tech Orediggers compete in 6 intercollegiate sports as members of the NAIA Frontier Conference. Montana Tech is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities. The university’s operating budget is $30 million.
This is an exciting opportunity for an inspiring, innovative leader to build on the strengths of Montana Tech and help the university take its place as a premier science and engineering institution in the nation. The Chancellor is expected to be a strong team leader and fair team player for the university. In keeping with the Montana Tech mission, the Chancellor will be a vocal, vigorous advocate, working on behalf of students to reimagine their opportunities in undergraduate and graduate education, workforce development, research, and service. Leadership will support a strategic plan addressing excellence in education and knowledge; student achievement; an engaged faculty; and Tech’s internal and external communities.
• Commitment and capability to establish a bold vision and future for Montana Tech and the leadership skills to make the vision a reality;
• Engaged commitment to all students with a focus on access, achievement, retention, and success, making Montana Tech the school of choice;
• Significant involvement in fiscal management of organizations of equal complexity with knowledge of strategic diversification of revenue sources, and creative allocation and resource generation, including fundraising;
• Demonstrated organizational and management experience in leading, developing, and building consensus in a complex and competitive environment;
• Understanding of sound strategic planning and clear decision making based upon regional, national, and global trends in higher education;
• Determination to create an affirmative, non-partisan environment and implement diversity and inclusion initiatives among students, faculty, and staff;
• Profound appreciation for the contributions of staff, faculty, and administrators with a commitment to professional development and transparency with clarity;
• Familiarity and respect for labor management and collective bargaining matters;
• Ability to build bridges with diverse constituencies, i.e., government leaders, higher education, K-12, businesses, foundations, and the city of Butte;
• Passionate engagement in improving outreach, including recruiting, expanding industry partnerships, and driving philanthropic interest in Montana Tech;
• Capacity to recognize and invigorate the potential of 13,000 alumni in the country and internationally;
• High level of emotional intelligence, supported by strong spoken, written, and listening skills in a welcoming environment;
• Leadership experience – academic or otherwise– in a STEM field, and in a special focus institution of higher education (preferred); and
• Ph.D. or terminal degree preferred, but not required. Most important is an outstanding record of leadership, which can come from the academic world, private industry, or both.
The new Chancellor will demonstrate an admirable work ethic, authenticity, and integrity. Further, this leader must respect and embrace the great history of the university and its city. The Chancellor of Montana Technological University reports to the Commissioner of Higher Education for the Montana University System. To assure best consideration, applications should be received by January 18, 2019. The application should include a two to four-page letter of interest specifically addressing the applicant’s background in relationship to the expectations described; a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of at least five professional references with each person’s position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. The new Chancellor will assume office by or before July 2019.
The search is being assisted by James H. McCormick, firstname.lastname@example.org, 651-238-5188, and Janice S. Fitzgerald, email@example.com, 717-580-0663, AGB Search. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically (MS Word or PDF Format) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional information may be found at www.mtech.edu/chancellor-search.
Each campus of the Montana University System shall ensure that no employment or educational policy is discriminatory on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, political ideas, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, national origin, or ancestry unless based on reasonable grounds.
More search results
Vice President for Equity and Inclusion
University of New Mexico
Vice President for Development
Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) Foundation
Vice President for Communications and Public Rela…
American Association of State Colleges and Universities
Research Technician II
Research Foundation for SUNY
Assistant Professor, Architecture
University of Central Florida, School of Visual Arts & Design