University Controller and Associate Vice President for Finance
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- New Brunswick, NJ
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, seeks an accomplished individual to serve as its next University Controller and Associate Vice President for Finance (UC & AVP). Reporting to the Vice President for Finance and Budget and Associate Treasurer, the UC & AVP is a key member of the financial leadership team and will be responsible for providing university-wide leadership and broad strategic oversight of financial accounting and compliance to assist the university’s academic leadership, administrative management ,and board members in the efficient and effective monitoring, management, and control of the financial resources of the university.
RUTGERS, THE STATE UNIVERSITYOF NEW JERSEY
A leading national research university and the state of New Jersey’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher education, more than 69,000 students and 22,500 full- and part-time faculty and staff learn, work, and serve the public at Rutgers. The university has a wide-spread presence in the State of New Jersey with locations in all 21 New Jersey counties as well as academic and research enterprises around the world.
The University offers more than 100 undergraduate majors, more than 200 graduate programs and degrees, and more than 300 research centers and institutes in its 31 undergraduate colleges and graduate and professional schools across four units: Rutgers University – New Brunswick, ranked among the world’s top 60 universities, Rutgers’ flagship is one of only 62 member institutions of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU); Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS), the health care division academically aligned with Rutgers University – New Brunswick; Rutgers University – Newark: A diverse, urban research university located in New Jersey’s largest city; and Rutgers University – Camden, a rising leader among urban public research universities emphasizing civic engagement.
The UC & AVP is a key member of Rutgers financial leadership team and will be responsible for providing university-wide leadership and broad strategic oversight of financial accounting and compliance to assist the university’s academic leadership, administrative management and board members in the efficient and effective monitoring, management, and control of the financial resources of the university. The UC & AVP is a key participant in managing risk exposure for the university. The UC & AVP will work closely and collaboratively with executive leadership and budget and financial managers across the institution to provide strong management reporting and controls with excellent customer service throughout the university.
The selected candidate will enhance systems and develop best practices to support the education, health care, and research missions of the university, while ensuring high standards of compliance with local, state, and federal regulations. The UC & AVP will lead an office committed to improving processes, providing outstanding service in an increasingly complex and demanding regulatory environment, and strengthening collaborations and relationships across the university to better serve the mission and communicate financial policies and procedures. The UC & AVP will look outside the university to both anticipate regulatory challenges and understand how best to meet them and will be an essential advisor to the Vice President for Finance and Budget, Associate Treasurer, and other senior leaders.
This position requires a progressive, forward-thinking leader who can build strong working relationships within the department and across the university. The selected candidate will need both technical expertise and emotional intelligence to manage the continuing cultural and operational changes as systems and tools continue to be improved, introduced, and integrated.
The UC & AVP leads a customer-focused organization of over 100 employees and will provide supervision and mentorship designed to develop the team to operate at the highest levels of performance, efficiency, and integrity. Within the department there are opportunities to streamline processes through refinement of roles and procedures, the appropriate use and implementation of technology, and analysis of the organizational structure and workflow. The UC & AVP will be a credible and influential leader, mentor, and developer of strong cross-functional teams, and will be adept at working within and managing through large scale organizational change. The budget under supervision of the UC & AVP is over $10 million.
The key objectives and responsibilities of the UC & AVP include:
- Ensuring that the policies, procedures, systems, and internal controls are based on finance and industry best practices and support the strategic goals of a leading research university and academic medical center
- Understanding the information needs of chancellors, unit chief financial officers, deans, business managers, and others responsible for managing departmental funds and providing these key customers with the financial information that allows them to make informed decisions and achieve their financial, strategic, and operational goals
- Presenting to university governing boards and senior university leadership and communicating information and processes effectively across a complex institution
- Building and developing effective, high-functioning teams within the UC & AVP’s organization
- Anticipating and leading change with understanding, perspectives, and tools to make change seamless and effortless
- Maintaining accounting control over the university’s financial accounts including operating funds, endowment funds, and plant funds as well as account reconciliations and bank reconciliations
- Preparing the university’s annual financial statements in a timely manner and meeting other external reporting requirements, including Federal OMB Circular A 133 and NJ OMB Circular 15-08 relating to grants and contracts, IPEDS Survey, NACUBO Endowment Survey, National Science Foundation Survey and required State financial reporting by campus
- Directing cost accounting functions in support of the university’s Facilities & Administrative Rate calculations and negotiations in support of the university’s Responsibility Center Management budget model
- Managing a customer service-oriented university payroll operation, billing and collection system for student accounts and deposit system for all University cash
- Preparing the university’s tax returns and establishing policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and federal tax laws
- Maintaining accounting control over the university’s moveable equipment inventory in conjunction with university departments
- Maintaining appropriate governance over all university financial data
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Rutgers is seeking a committed and experienced professional with proven leadership skills in a complex environment with progressively responsible experience in financial leadership roles. The successful candidate will have accounting and financial systems experience and creative ability to develop fiscal policies, procedures, and program systems within the larger context of a strategic financial and business planning environment. The successful candidate must be a strong communicator, effective project manager, collaborative team player, and possess the ability to establish strong personal relationships with internal and external stakeholders and to serve as an articulate spokesperson and representative of the university.
The UC & AVP must be an experienced change manager with the ability to evaluate organizational structures and personnel and implement new roles and responsibilities as well as process efficiencies that better align outputs and customer service with the needs of the university. The selected candidate will be a consensus builder with vision, be comfortable facilitating change, demonstrate a proven ability to engage various constituencies in difficult and challenging decisions, and have an appreciation for the mission, traditions and culture of Rutgers University.
The successful candidate will be well grounded in accounting rules and procedures, with a proven track record of working across the enterprise to solve problems and advance an institution’s goals. Candidates with higher education, academic health care, or corporate experience will be considered.
Rutgers has engaged Liz Neumann and Amy Sugin of Koya Leadership Partners to assist in this search. The full position profile is available at https://koyapartners.com/search/university-controller-and-associate-vice-president-for-finance. Nominations and applications, including a detailed letter of interest, qualifications, and a current curriculum vitae, should be submitted here.
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is university policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. As an institution, we value diversity of background and opinion, and prohibit discrimination or harassment on the basis of any legally protected class in the areas of hiring, recruitment, promotion, transfer, demotion, training, compensation, pay, fringe benefits, layoff, termination or any other terms and conditions of employment.
For additional information please see the Non-Discrimination Statement at the following web address: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/non-discrimination-statement
ABOUT KOYA LEADERSHIP PARTNERS
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with higher education, nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.
More search results
Director of Admissions
University of Mississippi
Assistant/Associate Professor - Clinical Track in…
University of California, Los Angeles
AMERICAN UNIVERSITY OF ROME
Associate Provost of Research & Innovation
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Associate Director, Margo Souza Leadership Center
University of California, Merced