President & Chief Executive Officer
- Association of Governing Boards of Universities & Colleges (“AGB”)
- Washington, DC
President & Chief Executive Officer
Association of Governing Boards of Universities & Colleges (“AGB”)
Reports to the Board of Directors
Founded in 1921, The Association of Governing Boards of Universities & Colleges (“AGB”) is the premier professional association dedicated to lay governance in higher education. It represents a dynamic network of more than 1,300 governing boards representing virtually all types of academic institutions and their associated foundations across the United States and abroad. AGB serves a vital role in advocating on behalf of governing boards, presidents, chancellors, executives, related foundations, board professionals, and other senior leaders while also offering robust access to thought leadership, and professional development.
AGB strives to continuously advance the practice of governance by designing and instilling best practices and advocating nationally on issues that affect higher education. Governing boards must focus now more than ever on reinforcing the value of higher education, innovating their institutions through the use of technology, and serving the needs of an evolving demographic. In order to accomplish this mission, AGB provides leadership and counsel to member boards, chief executives, organizational staff, policy makers, and other key industry leaders to help them navigate the changing education landscape. AGB shares vital information and knowledge with members, as well as provide customized consulting services, to help institutions continue to thrive. AGB creates initiatives focused on building engaged, effective boards; preparing institutions for imminent and long-term challenges; and examining relevant public policy issues.
Under the vigorous leadership of Richard Legon, the association’s President since 2006, AGB has developed a clear strategic direction. In addition to its annual meeting and publications, AGB has diversified its services to members, and to other higher education and public policy audiences. AGB Consulting provides trusted guidance to hundreds of institutions and their leaders annually. AGB Institutional Strategies offers in-depth strategic analysis and advice to address marketing and growth challenges. AGB Search works with colleges and universities to attract top leadership talent. Trusteeship, the Association’s highly regarded magazine focusing on all aspects of governance and leadership, reaches some 50,000 board members, executives and other leaders.
AGB has emerged as a model of the new American enterprise in combining a mission-driven culture with attention to the economic realities and competitive position of the organization. AGB is currently assessing its future direction to ensure that it will be even more relevant to 21st century institutions and boards. Therefore, this is an especially exciting and critical time for a new leader to guide AGB into the future.
Working in close partnership with the Board of Directors, the President & CEO is responsible for the leadership and operations of this $12M, 52-person staff national organization. S/he serves as AGB’s chief advocate and spokesperson for the higher education community before a wide array of stakeholders including members, peer organizations, government leaders, business, media, among others.
Specifically, the President & CEO is responsible for the following:
- Strategic Direction. In conjunction with the Board of Directors, develops and executes a visionary strategic plan for AGB to ensure its continued relevance and value to members. Drives the successful implementation of AGB’s operational plans to ensure goals are delivered. Maintains transparency with the Board on progress toward achieving commitments and the execution of the strategic plan.
- Serves as a visible and dynamic spokesperson before key audiences to communicate AGB’s vision, strategy and priorities. Ensures that key messages and initiatives are communicated through all media available to the association on a consistent basis.
- External Relationships. Develops strong working relationships with a wide-range of constituencies, in both the public and private sector, to build and support coalitions to advance the organization’s priorities for higher education.
- Board Relations. Builds and maintains strong collaborative relationships with AGB’s highly engaged Board of Directors. Leverages the expertise of a deeply talented board to advance AGB’s mission.
- Leads professional team of approximately 52 people, who demonstrate a commitment to excellent member service and delivery of high-quality resources, publications, programs, and events. Effectively recruits, retains, develops and engages staff in delivering exceptional results towards realizing the mission of the organization.
- Provides leadership in developing program, organizational and financial plans. Ensures AGB’s long-term sustainability and oversight of sound financial practices.
- Advocacy/Public Policy. In conjunction with the Board of Directors, identifies and prioritizes critical public policy issues and positions impacting the higher education community.
- Revenue Generation. Develops and implements a revenue generation strategy that ensures delivery of current and new value added member services and alternative revenue sources. Effectively makes the case for AGB’s agenda with sponsors and other funding sources.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
AGB is a unique and dynamic organization that requires a highly diverse skill set in its President & CEO. The Board seeks an exceptional leader with the vision, leadership qualities and energy to elevate an already outstanding organization. The leader must have the talent and experience to think and act boldly in leading positive change within a well-defined mission and strategic direction. The President & CEO must be a results-driven, problem solver who is comfortable building new skills and navigating emerging trends. The ideal candidate has experience and key relationships in higher education and the association sector, and knowledge of the members served by AGB.
Specific experience and qualifications include the following:
- A deep understanding and passion for higher education and especially for the importance of governance and leadership to its future. Strong familiarity with the contemporary higher education landscape and the often-conflicting forces at play.
- A minimum of 10 years of organizational leadership experience, with a positive track record of leading a highly effective organization of at least 50 staff. Well-developed managerial skills, including the ability to build and retain a high performing, engaged team; leverage team strengths; delegate authority; create ownership of performance among the senior team; and make challenging decisions.
- Experience collaborating effectively with a highly engaged Board of Directors, while forging trust and deep working relationships. A track record for transparency and communicating effectively on an organization’s progress toward goals and objectives.
- Demonstrated success in development and successful execution of a strategic plan, with appropriate urgency, timeliness, and responsiveness to outlined goals and established metrics.
- Outstanding relationship building skills, key to forging and sustaining relationships with institutions, associations, national leaders in higher education, government officials, among other stakeholders. An extensive network of relevant relationships within higher education and the proven ability to strengthen those relationships in the near term.
- The executive presence to serve as the authoritative external face of AGB with its members, policy and political leaders, and other audiences.
- Dedication to maintaining and enhancing the organization’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and media relations.
- An understanding of external marketing and brand management.
- An ability to stay current on both higher education and association industry trends, explore potential new areas of opportunity and latest research and best practices in both higher education governance and the association sector.
- Exceptional entrepreneurial instincts that can synthesize the landscape and develop creative and sustainable solutions in support of AGB’s mission and values.An ability to build an organizational culture that embodies these attributes.
- Knowledge for leveraging technology, social media, and other modes of communication that would be relevant for the membership and advancing AGB’s strategy.
- Successful generation of new sources of revenue while managing an operating budget in a cost constrained environment. Persuasive abilities and the presence to make the case for AGB and its effectiveness with donors and other funding sources.
- Exhibits the highest standard of personal integrity, decency and humility.A respect for the diversity of the organization’s staff and membership.
A Bachelor’s degree required. An Advanced degree highly desirable.
A competitive compensation package will be made available to the qualified candidate.
Please apply by submitting your resume to: Becky.Graham@KornFerry.com
Korn Ferry Contact
12012 Sunset Hills Road
Reston, VA 20190
More search results
Associate Vice President, Enrollment Management
California State University, Dominguez Hills
Associate Vice Provost for Student Financial Serv…
Virginia Commonwealth University
Director of Operations, Mills Legal Clinic, Stanf…
Stanford Law School - Mills Legal Clinic
Postdoctoral Associate in Biomedical Engineering
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech)
Northwestern University in Qatar