Dean of the School of Science and Engineering
- Merrimack College
- North Andover, MA
Dean of the School of Science and Engineering
Merrimack College invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the School of Science and Engineering. Merrimack College seeks an exceptional leader with a strong record of academic accomplishment and a forward-looking vision for the future of STEM education to serve in this key leadership position. The new Dean will have the opportunity to capitalize on a period of great momentum at the School to develop a strategic vision focused on academic excellence, increased enrollments, and an interdisciplinary approach to STEM.
Background and Position: Merrimack College is a private, selective, comprehensive college located 30 miles north of Boston in the historic and scenic Merrimack Valley. Founded in 1947 by the Archbishop of Boston and the Order of St. Augustine, the College offers more than 100 undergraduate programs in liberal arts, science and engineering, business, health science, and education and social policy. Merrimack also offers graduate programs in data science, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, engineering management, clinical mental health counseling, spirituality, spiritual direction education, business, management, accounting, public affairs, and criminology. The College has over 3,500 undergraduate and 600 graduate students from 32 states and 31 countries that form an engaged community of thinkers, learners, and achievers integrated in an academic culture of excellence, diversity, and stature. The implementation of the College’s ten-year strategic plan, the Agenda for Distinction, has led to renewed energy and sense of community, combined with growth of faculty and the student body. The strategic plan is supported by the college’s current $50 million campaign, Together for Good. This is an essential time for Merrimack College, and the next Dean will play a role in sustaining the College’s positive momentum. For additional information on Merrimack College, please explore www.merrimack.edu.
The Dean of the School of Science and Engineering reports to the Provost and is responsible for advancing, developing, and managing the academic programs of the School. The School enrolls approximately 700 undergraduate and graduate students and is comprised of eight departments: biology, chemistry and biochemistry, computer science, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, and physics. In addition to the programs housed in the School, the faculty of the school serve students across the campus. There are currently 56 full-time faculty members, 31 part-time faculty, and 12 staff members in the School, which is experiencing significant growth in enrollment, enhancing current facilities and labs, and developing new programs.
Priorities for the next Dean include: enhancing the reputation of the School, promoting research and program development, attracting financial resources, growing the intellectual capital of the School, fostering collaboration, and establishing partnerships with industry. The next dean will also have the opportunity to be heavily involved in the development and implementation of Campaign goals and priorities. The Dean will hold a terminal degree, preferably in a discipline offered by the School, and will have a record of teaching, scholarship, and service that merits appointment as a tenured full professor. The successful candidate will demonstrate the following qualities:
- Significant accomplishments in his/her career, with a background of academicexperience and/or professional experience which provides the foundation for strong, credible leadership as aDean.
- A track record of visionary leadership in a dynamicenvironment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex organization and work effectively with colleagues in the School, College, andcommunity.
- Demonstrated ability to encourage and foster quality teaching and scholarship activities amongfaculty.
- Demonstrated interest and success in external fundraising and developing alliances with the community and industry partners.
- Strengthen relationships with alumni of the School.
- Demonstrated understanding of the role of existing and emergingtechnologies.
- Substantial fiscal managementexperience.
- A management style driven by consensus building andteamwork.
- Core values that align with the mission and values of the School of Science and Engineering and Merrimack College.
- Demonstrated experience in revenue generation and the ability to actively diversify revenue streams.
- Strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, especially in closing diversity gaps in STEM fields by providing key opportunities for underrepresented groups to excel in STEM.
- Ability to establish and cultivate relationships with donors, corporate and foundation partners, and alumni.
- A commitment to an interdisciplinary approach to STEM and a knowledge of how to integrate a STEM curriculum into a 21st-century education.
- Strong commitment to high-quality education at the undergraduate and graduatelevels.
- Experience in curriculum development and assessment, and development ofinterdisciplinary programs.
- Demonstrated commitment to global and international education, partnerships, and relationships.
Review of application materials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Nominations, inquiries, and applications, including letter of interest and curriculum vitae, should be forwarded, in confidence, to:
Steve Leo, Partner
Brian Bustin, Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates, LP
For more information on Merrimack College and its programs, please consult its website: www.merrimack.edu
Merrimack College is an AA/EEO/ADA employer
More search results
Dean of the School of Education
SUNY New Paltz
Director of Student Success Analytics
University of Oregon - Division of Undergraduate Education and Student Success
Director of Psy.D. Program/Director of Counseling
HEAD, DEPARTMENT OF APPLIED MATHEMATICS AND STATI…
Johns Hopkins University
Department Head, Industrial and Manufacturing Eng…
Pennsylvania State University