Dean, School of Business and Management
- College at Brockport, SUNY
- Brockport, NY
Dean, School of Business and Management
Job no: 494151
Position Type: Professional
Division/Equivalent: Academic Affairs
School/Unit: Administration (School of Business and Management)
Categories: Professional Non-Faculty
Dean of the School of Business and Management
The College at Brockport
The College at Brockport, State University of New York seeks a visionary leader to become the next Dean of the School of Business and Management, fully accredited by AACSB and NASPAA (www.brockport.edu/academics/school_business_management/). As the chief academic and administrative officer, the Dean will be the leader of the School, facilitating a positive environment for teaching, scholarship, creative activity, research, and service to the College and community.
Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean is responsible for the quality and integrity of academic programs, managing the human and fiscal resources and physical facilities of the School, and is an advocate for students, faculty, and staff. The Dean is the primary spokesperson for the School on the campus, in the community and beyond, and works collaboratively to ensure productive community support and programmatic input. In addition, the Dean works cooperatively with College advancement in the continuing efforts to foster and maintain relationships with alumni and donors. The Dean is expected to engage in collaborative efforts with faculty committees, department chairs, and industry/community partners to advance the College's Strategic Plan. In addition, the Dean maintains primary responsibility for ongoing AACSB and NASPAA accreditations.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides leadership for all educational activities in the School to ensure academic integrity, high-quality instruction, and excellence in faculty scholarship and service. Participates in strategic planning processes and leads the School in short-and long-term goal development and implementation. Collaborates with administrative leadership, faculty, and staff to implement programs and services that advance the University's mission and achieves the School's goals. Advises the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs on academic matters, such as accreditation, development, and evaluation of academic programs, and budget and personnel matters. Serves as the liaison between the Office of Academic Affairs and the faculty and staff. Supports strategic enrollment management goals of the College and will lead the School in the recruitment, retention, and graduation of students who are well prepared for success in graduate school or professional careers.
- Provides management, oversight, and accountability for the School's budget and fiscal planning, working in the context of integrated budgeting and planning where resources are aligned with strategic priorities. Oversees the preparation of the School's annual budget and manages budget expenditures.
- Provides leadership for the School through direct supervision of personnel in accordance with College policies, procedures, and applicable laws. Directs and coordinates the activity of department heads and chairs and directors within the School. Directs the recruitment and professional development of a diverse and talented faculty and staff. Evaluates the performance of faculty to recommend to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs appointments, reappointments, continuing appointments, and non-renewals. Reviews Chancellor's Award nominations and prepares recommendation letters. Reviews sabbatical leave requests and prepares recommendation letters. Works closely with department chairs, academic administrators, and human resources staff to address personnel matters as needed. Reviews salary and merit recommendations from department chairs and the associate deans and makes recommendations to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Curriculum and Program Development and Assessment and Accreditation
- Provides oversight to recommend measures for implementing, updating, and improving the School's curriculum. Supports the faculty in program and curriculum planning, development, and evaluation. Works with the Vice Provost to prepare new and revised program proposals for SUNY and NYSED. Works with the Associate Dean and Vice Provost to review and monitor SUNY and NYSED policies and procedures for program revision and new program proposals, and communicates these to relevant departments. Maintains an awareness of needed knowledge, skills, and abilities in the community and world and identifies new career opportunities that would guide program and degree development. Ensures annual reporting and assessment activities are completed. Works with the academic department to ensure problems are identified and measures are taken to continuously improve. Ensures School departments maintain compliance with all accreditation standards and policies.
Research and Scholarly Activity
- Advances research, scholarly, and creative activity initiatives and enhances support for faculty and staff development. Researches grant opportunities, makes application for grants, and manages grant funds in accordance with grant requirements. Fosters collaboration across the campus on instructional and research projects.
External Presence - Community and Fundraising
- Represents the School to the campus, alumni, and the community and provides leadership in pursuit of external resources, including grant funding and private gifts, in support of the School or College. Actively pursues diversified funding, including significant private support for the College. Supports and collaborates with faculty and staff to develop and sustain partnerships with school, business, and community organizations. Supports and engages in a variety of regional economic development activities in support of the College's mission. Maintains an active Dean's Advisory Board. Supervises the work of and maintains an active relationship with the Brockport Small Business Development Center.
- Attends and participates in the Academic Affairs meetings. Serves and/or chairs various College and community committees. Maintains a contemporary understanding of higher education best practices and trends through regular attendance and participation in seminars and conferences related to areas of responsibilities.
- Directs the development of the academic schedule. Facilitates maintenance and modification of physical facilities and information technology infrastructure of the School in collaboration with existing College services (Physical Plant Department, Information Technology Department). Develops, administers, and adheres to all University policies and procedures. Maintains the confidentiality of designated information.
Reporting and Supervisory Relationships
- The Dean reports to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and directly supervises the Associate Dean and support staff in the School.
- An earned doctorate/terminal degree in a discipline represented in the College from a college or university accredited by a U.S. Department of Education or internationally recognized accrediting organization. An outstanding record of teaching, scholarship, publication, and service sufficient for tenure and rank of full professor in an academic department with the College. A successful record of progressive academic administrative leadership and experience at the department level or above, to include such responsibilities as management of fiscal and personnel resources, academic program evaluation and review, strategic planning, and programs for student advisement, recruitment, and retention. Demonstrated leadership and management experience in higher education that includes supervisory responsibility for teaching, scholarship, and related activities. Demonstrated commitment to serving students from diverse backgrounds, abilities, and levels of preparation. Demonstrated commitment to shared governance and community engagement. Ability to create a vision for the School and a practical understanding of strategic planning strategies. Experience with budget development and the principles of sound fiscal management. Experience with classroom teaching practices, teaching methodologies, scholarly activities, and the development of faculty and staff. Ability to appropriately delegate responsibility and authority, make timely decisions, and solve problems. Evidence of the ability to work well with people at all levels and build sustainable relationships across the college (internally and/or externally). Demonstrated ability to motivate faculty and staff and develop a collaborative environment that engages the entire institution, students, and external partners and friends. Demonstrated commitment to transparent and shared governance. Excellent oral, written, presentation, and intercultural communication skills.
- Experience with accreditation, interdisciplinary studies, general education, and assessment. A record of receiving external grant funding from government, foundations, or corporations. Experience in a state system of higher education. Experience working with external constituency advisory boards and strategic planning. Experience working in a unionized environment. Excellent skills and aptitude in the following areas: collaboration, conflict resolution, decision-making, project management, leadership, innovation, teambuilding, and diplomacy. Demonstrated commitment to the fundamental values of the professoriate: academic freedom, peer review, and shared governance. Demonstrated record of successful external fundraising efforts. Experience with graduate programs.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York, serves a diverse student body of over 7,100 undergraduate and 1,100 graduate students enrolled in 50 undergraduate majors and more than 50 masters' programs, teacher certification programs, and advanced graduate certificates supported by more than 750 instructional faculty and professional staff. The College is an inclusive learning community that inspires excellence through growth, engagement, and transformation. Located in western New York, the College benefits from a small town atmosphere located near major metropolitan cities; 16 miles west of Rochester, 45 miles east of Buffalo, and 140 miles from Toronto.
Salary, Benefits and Appointment
Competitive salary commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurances, and generous paid time off. Position available July 1, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online at jobs.brockport.edu and submit a cover letter, resume, and the names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references. Review of application materials will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations via email at email@example.com.
We are part of an academic community committed to fostering integrity, civility, and justice. We affirm that the dignity of our Brockport community is protected when free speech, academic freedom, and individual rights are expressed within a climate of civility and mutual respect. Striving to learn from each other, we value human diversity because it enriches our lives and it is fundamental to the College's commitment to teaching, learning, scholarship, and service leading to student success.
The College at Brockport, State University of New York is an AA/EEO/ADA employer. The College actively seeks applications from women, veterans, individuals with a disability, members of underrepresented groups, or anyone that would enrich the diversity of the College.
To apply, visit http://careers.pageuppeople.com/788/cw/en-us/job/494151/dean-school-of-business-and-management
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Computer Science Tenure-Track Assistant Professor…
Texas Christian University
ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR HUMAN RESOURCES OPER…
Pennsylvania State University
Faculty Positions at The Rockefeller University
The Rockefeller University
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor of Medieval and …
George Mason University
Tenure-Track Assistant or Associate Professor of …
George Mason University