Director of Prospect Research
- Miami University
- Oxford, Ohio
Job Description Summary:
Job ID:6541 Unclassified - FT (salary)
The Director of Prospect Development oversees the prospect research and prospect management unit of the Office of Development within the Division of University Advancement, and is responsible for directing prospect identification, research, management and donor analytics to assist with the university’s fundraising and engagement priorities. Key responsibilities include partnering with development officers and others on prospect management policies and strategies, and the introduction, implementation and maximization of tools and methods to support effective prospecting. Reporting to the Assistant Vice President of Development for Campaign Services, the Director is responsible for insuring that the research needed to successfully carry out university fundraising programs is accurate, comprehensive and timely.
- Provides direction for and oversees the prospect research program; determines research strategies and manages the production and distribution of research reports needed for prospect identification, cultivation and solicitations.
- Evaluates, organizes and presents prospect information in comprehensive reports on major gift and campaign prospects and donors, including individuals and organizations (corporations, foundations, etc.); data to include gift capacities, key wealth indicators and information helpful to determine further philanthropic engagement.
- Partners with key advancement staff to develop prospect assessments, strategies, and moves management.
- Works collaboratively to determine priority of research requests, assigns among members of the Prospect Development Team, and ensures timely and accurate delivery of information to chief stakeholders.
- Works on key priority projects, assigned by the Senior Vice President and Associate Senior Vice President for University Advancement, and other leadership.
- Utilizes data mining and predictive modeling techniques to identify new prospects.
- Manages research budget and is main contact with appropriate vendors related to modeling, analytics, wealth screenings and other prospect research tools and resources.
- Serves as a subject matter expert on prospect research practices and tools, including attending relevant conferences and trainings, and holding membership in appropriate organizations.
- Hires, trains and supervises the Prospect Development team; sets departmental and individual goals and provides structured evaluation of progress while promoting professional growth opportunities for staff.
- Assists in departmental and divisional special projects as needed.
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of four years related experience in research or development/alumni relations, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Proven ability to effectively supervise employees. Excellent written and oral communication skills, with solid work ethic and attitude to work successfully with colleagues within and outside of the division. Commitment to integrity and appropriate use of confidential material.
Master’s degree in relevant field. Experience in nonprofit development arena, particularly relational fundraising and prospect research and management strategies. Management experience. Excellent problem-solver, ability to balance multiple priorities simultaneously, team-player with focus on building strong relationships and delivering information in a clear and timely manner. Proficiency with research and wealth-screening tools, and knowledge of Miami University’s systems, data structures and overall organizational landscape.
Miami University, an EO/AA employer, encourages applications from minorities, women, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Miami does not permit, and takes action to prevent, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. Requests for reasonable accommodations for disabilities related to employment should be directed to ADAFacultyStaff@MiamiOH.edu or 513-529-3560. Annual Security and Fire Safety Report may be found at: http://www.MiamiOH.edu/campus-safety/annual-report/index.html. Criminal background check required. All campuses are smoke- and tobacco free.