Missouri University of Science and Technology (Missouri S&T) invites nominations and applications for the position of Chancellor. The Chancellor, who serves as the university’s Chief Executive Officer, leads the university by setting forth the university’s vision to its students, staff, and faculty, and represents Missouri S&T to its constituent communities.
A technological research university with a compliment of business and humanities programs joining its STEM disciplines, Missouri S&T finds itself at a critical point in its evolution and is seeking an inspirational leader to help inaugurate a new era of research growth and student success through a new strategic plan and in partnership with the university’s talented faculty, staff, students, alumni, advisors and partners.
Missouri S&T is one of four public research universities that form the University of Missouri system and is recognized for its outstanding programs in science & technology. The University of Missouri System was formed in 1963 and consists of system administration and four universities: the Missouri University of Science and Technology; the University of Missouri-Columbia, the University of Missouri-Kansas City and the University of Missouri-St. Louis.
The campus currently enrolls nearly 9,000 students, including over 2,000 graduate students. More than 500 faculty, supported by over 1,000 staff, educate these outstanding students at one of the state’s only universities that is classified as highly selective. Missouri S&T offers over 90 degree programs, including 21 Ph.D. programs, in engineering, science, computing and technology, business, social sciences, and the humanities.
The Chancellor of Missouri University of Science and Technology plays an integral role in enhancing the research, teaching, and engagement activities, thereby furthering the ideals of the public land-grant mission. The Missouri S&T Chancellor reports directly to University of Missouri System President Mun Y. Choi and oversees a leadership team that includes the Provost and five other vice chancellors as well as the campus Chief Diversity Officer. Beyond the Chancellor’s direct reports, the Vice Provost and Deans partner to deliver and enhance strategic impacts across S&T’s faculty, staff, students, alumni, and key stakeholders. The Chancellor will set an example of respect for the constituents of the university and will hold the institution and its faculty, staff, and students to the highest standards of conduct.
The Chancellor will foster investment in the university’s research mission and will ensure that the knowledge the university generates is distributed broadly across the state, nation and world. The Chancellor will ensure educational access, opportunity and success for students from all backgrounds and will encourage innovative teaching methods to train the next generation of leaders. The Chancellor will also create meaningful and beneficial partnerships with community organizations to convey the benefits of S&T’s teaching and research programs as well as collaborations with the industry and government partners to foster economic development. Finally, the Chancellor will be a responsible steward of the university’s resources, its traditions, and its strong ties across the state and beyond.
- Implement necessary programs to achieve the goals of the Missouri S&T Strategic Plan.
- Greatly expand the scholarly and research activities of Missouri S&T through the expansion of scholarship and sponsored research, emphasizing interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Enhance Missouri S&T’s exceptional reputation for undergraduate education and career preparation while building more robust graduate programs.
- Grow successful academic and research programs to strategically improve enrollment, create private/public partnerships, and increase the known reputation of Missouri S&T.
- Deepen Missouri S&T’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Improve the university’s culture of philanthropy through the pursuit of alumni engagement, participation in development and advancement, and the development of corporate partnerships.
- Steward the university’s financial and human resources to help the campus meet its strategic goals and objectives.
Professional Experience and Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to craft a compelling vision for excellence in the promotion of research, pedagogy, access, and inclusion at an institution of higher education.
- A collaborative and transparent leadership style attentive to the ideals of shared governance and respectful of the viewpoints and contributions of all members of the Missouri S&T community.
- An abiding interest in the development and success of students of all backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to meeting student needs.
- A record of excellence in demonstrated support for leading-edge, interdisciplinary, meaningful research and the pursuit of academic excellence.
- Demonstrated success in securing philanthropic resources to sustain a complex enterprise.
- Clear communication skills and an ability to speak to diverse stakeholders at the university and the public at large.
- Deep commitment to serving as a leader who places the interests of the institution first.
- A strong record of executive leadership in a complex academic environment, with a demonstrated ability to develop and drive strategy and appropriately steward resources.
- A traditional, earned academic doctoral degree is required.
- At least 12 years of professional experience is required.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. For fullest consideration, applicant materials should be received by Friday, November 30. Applications should include a current curriculum vitae and a letter of interest that addresses the responsibilities and requirements described above. Nominations and expressions of interest will continue to be reviewed until a list of candidates is put forward for final consideration.
Applications and nominations should be sent to:
Director of Executive Recruitment, University of Missouri System
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At Missouri S&T our entire campus community benefits from a climate that respects individual needs, abilities and potential, does not tolerate discrimination or harassment, and is characterized by equal access for all regardless of cultural differences.
We expect every member of our academic family to support the underlying values of this covenant and to demonstrate a strong commitment to attracting, retaining and supporting students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of our larger society.
Equal opportunity shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without discrimination on the basis of their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, and status as Vietnam era veteran.
More search results
Dean, Education and Health Sciences
Dean, Honors College
Assistant Professor - Biomechanics, Dept. of Move…
Bridgewater State University
Director of Athletics and Recreation
Director of Development, Broad Stem Cell Research…
University of California, Los Angeles