Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
- University of Nebraska at Kearney
- Kearney, Nebraska
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
The University of Nebraska at Kearney invites applications for the position of inaugural Dean in its College of Arts & Sciences. The Dean will oversee a newly integrated College of Arts & Sciences (integrated as of the 2018-19 academic year), consisting of academic departments and programs in four divisions: Fine Arts, Humanities, Natural Sciences, and Social Sciences. (Previously these divisions were in two colleges - Fine Arts & Humanities and Natural & Social Sciences.)
We seek a visionary leader committed to shared governance with the experience and skills to advocate for a strong liberal arts & sciences core curriculum and to promote the scholarly and creative activities and accomplishments of faculty and students as well as instructional excellence. At this pivotal moment for the University of Nebraska at Kearney, the Dean must be able to innovate in addressing challenges facing higher education and the University and to facilitate collaborative partnerships both inside and outside the University.
The Dean reports to the Senior Vice Chancellor for Academic & Student Affairs, and provides academic leadership for the College including:
• Represent the College: in strategic planning and policy making; as intermediary between the College and University; as spokesperson to internal and external constituencies;
• Advocate for effective strategies in the recruitment and retention of students and complement University recruitment activities with College efforts and support of departmental efforts;
• Guide and support evaluation and improvement of academic departments and programs and assist in maintaining national accreditation standards;
• Collaborate with the University of Nebraska Foundation on fundraising and developing donor relationships.
• PhD or terminal degree in an Arts & Sciences discipline;
• Distinguished record of teaching and scholarship that merits appointment at the rank of Professor;
• Experience in academic administration at the level of department chair or above, with previous experience as a dean preferred. Higher education administrative experience of five years or more is preferred;
• Applicants should provide evidence of their achievements as a leader and present within the application materials a record that demonstrates their academic values and their leadership style.
Nomination and Application Process
This search is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. Full information about this opportunity can be found under Current Searches at www.academic-search.com.
Applications should consist of (1) a detailed cover letter addressing the above-listed expectations of the position, with specific attention given to how (s)he envisions integration among the disciplines in the new College of Arts and Sciences; (2) a current resume; and (3) a list of five references with contact information and a notation describing the work relationship with each. References will not be contacted without explicit permission from the candidate. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically to UNKCAS@academic-search.com.
The position will remain open until filled, but only applications received by November 8, 2018 can be assured full consideration. Nominators and prospective candidates may also arrange a confidential discussion about this opportunity with Ms. Nancy D. Suttenfield at email@example.com or Ms. Bethany Z. Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Nebraska at Kearney is responsive to University issues which support a diverse work and academic environment. It is the policy of the University of Nebraska at Kearney not to discriminate based upon age, race, ethnicity, color, national origin, pregnancy, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, veteran's status, marital status, religion or political affiliation. This policy is applicable to all University administered programs including educational programs, financial aid, admission policies and employment policies. UNK is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity employer. Veterans and persons with disabilities encouraged to apply. The University affirms a policy of equal educational and employment opportunities, affirmative action in employment and nondiscrimination in providing services to the public. University employees, students and others associated with the University who have not received the benefits of these policies, are encouraged to contact the Human Resources Director/ADA Coordinator.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency