Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students
- Albion College
- Albion, MI
Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students
Seeking an Engaging Leader Committed to Students and the Liberal Arts
Albion College, an undergraduate liberal arts college committed to academic excellence, announces a national search for a Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students. Embracing the institutional commitment to engage students and support their intellectual, personal, social, ethical, and spiritual development, the Vice President will provide vision and inspirational leadership to the professionals responsible for enhancing this vibrant academic setting. Building on existing opportunities to address priorities to support an increasingly diverse student population, the next Vice President will create and implement innovative approaches to ensure the highest quality experience for students. Demonstrating deep appreciation of a residential liberal arts experience, the Vice President will join a collaborative and dedicated senior leadership team, a committed and engaged student development staff, strong faculty and staff partners, and a driven and inspiring student body.
As a strong advocate for students and their success, the next Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students at Albion College will be relied upon to be an effective communicator with strong cultural competence and appreciation for the challenges facing students and colleges in small communities. Building upon the strengths of the senior leadership team, the Vice President will contribute a compassionate understanding of students, vision for the future of residential liberal arts colleges, and knowledge of opportunities for revitalizing programs, services, and departments serving students. The Vice President will need to develop excellent relationships with College colleagues and throughout the Albion community. Reporting to the President, the Vice President will provide leadership for the entire Student Development portfolio including Campus Programs and Organizations, Campus Safety, Chaplaincy, Counseling Services, First-Year Experience Program, Intercultural Affairs, The Anna Howard Shaw Women's Center, and Residential Life.
Albion College is a private liberal arts college of approximately 1550 students and is nationally recognized for its academic excellence in the liberal arts tradition, a learning-centered commitment, and a future-oriented perspective. The College is a leader in preparing students to anticipate, solve, and prevent problems in order to improve the human and global condition. Albion immerses students in the creation and processing of knowledge, and graduates skilled architects of societal change, active citizens, and future leaders. The College is dedicated to the highest quality in undergraduate education and is committed to diversity as a core institutional value.
Albion is situated in a culturally diverse community in south-central Michigan within an hour's drive of the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Western Michigan University. The College and its leadership recognize the value of community, both on- and off-campus. Therefore, the institution has invested resources in supporting the revitalization of the greater Albion community. This work offers an increasingly vibrant city around the campus that provides students with a fuller experience as they prepare to become engaged citizens in their own communities.
The Vice President for Student Development and Dean of Students (VPSD/DOS) is the Albion College Senior Student Affairs Officer and reports directly to the President of the College. The VPSD/DOS is responsible for administering a comprehensive student development program within a residential campus consistent with the mission and vision of Albion College and the President. The VPSD/DOS reinforces the commitment to and opportunities for students through deep appreciation and support of a liberal arts philosophy and education.
The VPSD/DOS leads the Division of Student Development, consisting of seven departments and one program, to foster an inclusive community that reflects the demographics of the United States. The VPSD/DOS provides expertise and direction to enhance student development, serves as an advocate for all students, contributes to improved retention, and ensures that co-curricular learning complements, supplements, and integrates with the formal curriculum.
• Lead and supervise the Division of Student Development by creating and implementing a common strategic vision for the future of student life at Albion.
• Advocate for all students and their success.
• Collaborate and develop partnerships with the Provost, faculty, staff, and students to integrate curricular and co-curricular learning.
• Work collaboratively with other vice presidents to understand issues impacting retention, evaluate existing programs designed to improve retention, and collaborate in developing new strategies appropriate for a diverse student body.
• Promote intercultural learning and engagement, and foster an inclusive and pluralistic campus community.
• Administer the College judicial system.
• Anticipate and manage crises; collaborate to develop campus-wide crisis readiness, prevention, and management.
• Continuously assess students' basic health, safety, and security needs, and institute programs and policies to meet such needs.
• Develop and foster Student Development divisional strategic planning in conjunction with the College-wide strategic plan.
• Manage division budgets.
• Serve as the staff advisor to the Student Senate.
• Serve on the President's Administrative Council, Board of Trustees Academic and Student Affairs Committee, Enrollment and Marketing Committee, and Student Life Advisory Committee, as well as other committees as needed.
• An advanced degree in higher education administration or a related field is required; a terminal degree is preferred
• Ten years of full-time experience in Student Affairs or closely related fields is essential; professional experience must demonstrate a progression in responsibilities including oversight of multiple departments
• Experience working with diverse student populations and demonstrated ability to foster an inclusive and pluralistic campus community
• Administrative and leadership skills to effectively manage change
• Knowledge of student development theory
• Supervision, training, and team-building skills
• Demonstrated strategic planning and financial management skills
• Ability to manage crises and plan for emergency response
• Sensitivity to the academic and personal needs of college students
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
• Ability to work collaboratively with all College constituents, including students, faculty, staff, Board of Trustees, alumni/ae, parents, and the greater Albion community
• Ability to embrace opportunities to engage with donors and prospective donors on priorities with Institutional Advancement
Application Procedure and Timeline
Albion College has partnered with Keeling and Associates in this search process. Applications should include a cover letter and resume and must be sent, preferably in PDF format, to recruiting@KeelingAssociates.com. The subject line of the email should read "Albion VPSD/DOS." A confidential review of applications will begin immediately and all applications received by November 1, 2018, will receive full consideration. The search will continue until an appointment is made.
Confidential inquiries and nominations should be addressed to Dr. Jan Walbert, Vice President and Senior Consultant for Executive Search, Keeling & Associates, at jwalbert@KeelingAssociates.com.
Albion College is a private liberal arts college of approximately 1550 students. It is situated in a culturally diverse community in south-central Michigan within an hour's drive of the University of Michigan, Michigan State University, and Western Michigan University. Albion is dedicated to the highest quality in undergraduate education and committed to diversity as a core institutional value. Albion College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, marital status, or veteran status as protected by law, in all educational programs and activities, admission of students, and conditions of employment. The College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is especially interested in candidates who will contribute to a campus climate that supports equality and diversity.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Faculty Positions in Electrical and Computer Engi…
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Term-tenure track position in Public History with…
Term-tenure track position in Public History with expertise in post-1865 United States History
Dean, School of Economics and Business
Saint Mary's College of California
Lecturer Technology Liason
University of North Carolina Wilmington