Assistant Professor, French - Applied Linguistics
- University of Nevada, Reno
- Reno, NV
Assistant Professor, French - Applied Linguistics
The Department of World Languages and Literatures at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR) invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track position in French at the rank of assistant professor to start Fall of 2019. The primary area of specialization is in Applied Linguistics with a focus on second language acquisition. This position will teach a 2-3 course load per academic year (which represents a one-course reduction from the normal 3-3 course load in French).
- Teach all levels of French language, especially French phonetics and linguistics and related areas.
- Coordinate the undergraduate basic French language program, including training and supervising approximately 6-8 full- and part-time instructors, curriculum and testing development, and program/student assessment.
- Develop new French linguistics courses as needed.
- Engage in service-related and professional development activities in the department, college, university, community, and profession; and informally advise students.
- Native or near-native proficiency in French and English.
- PhD in French Applied Linguistics or equivalent degree with a focus on second language acquisition. (PhD must be completed no later than July 30, 2019.)
- A record of excellence in teaching language courses.
- Ability to coordinate a language program, curriculum and familiarity with instructional technology.
- Ability to teach introductory French phonetics.
- Experience in language program coordination, curriculum and testing development, and familiarity with instructional technology.
- Ability to recruit new French majors/minors and promote the French program in the local high school community.
- Sub-specialization in sociolinguistics, dialectology, and/or language variation.
- Leadership, organizational and communication skills to interact effectively with a diverse range of students and colleagues, as well as with teachers and administrators in the school district.
Rank II, Assistant Professor
Besides offering an array of programs in various languages and opportunities for studying and teaching abroad through our partner universities around the world, the department provides students of French opportunities for completing a major or minor in French. Department homepage: http://www.unr.edu/world-languages . UNR is the State of Nevada's historic land-grant institution; it serves approximately 22,000 students. The university is ranked as a Tier 1 institution by US News and World Report and offers an array of degree programs at all levels. Reno is located at the foothills of the Sierra Nevada, a 30-minute drive from Lake Tahoe. Reno/Tahoe is recognized as a world-class outdoor recreation area. Additional areas of interest in the proximity include: Black Rock Desert, Sacramento, Yosemite National Park, Napa/Sonoma, the Bay Area, and San Francisco. University homepage: www.unr.edu; College of Liberal Arts homepage: www.unr.edu/cla .
This is a full-time, tenure-track position at the assistant professor level. The total compensation package includes a negotiable competitive salary, moving expenses (if applicable), a rich retirement plan, health insurance options that include dental and vision, life insurance, long-term disability, annual and sick leave, along with many other benefits. Additionally, there is a grant-in-aid educational benefit for faculty and dependents.
Contact Information for this position
Dr. Louis Marvick
Please attach the following documents to your application. Please contact email@example.com, the day you apply, if assistance is needed with attachments:
- Resume/Vita (including names, titles, phone numbers, and email addresses of three professional references)
- Cover letter
- A brief statement (one page maximum) about how you would contribute toward a mission of creating a culturally inclusive environment in the role for which you are applying
- A recent writing sample (published or unpublished article-length manuscript)
- A syllabus of your own creation (may be for a prospective course)
- Unofficial graduate transcripts
- Recent teaching evaluations
This posting is open until filled
For full consideration, applicant materials must be received by October 22, 2018. The search committee will conduct initial Skype interviews in early November. The search committee will not be conducting interviews at the MLA conference. This search will close without notice when a sufficient number of applications are received or a hiring decision has been made.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
More search results
Vice President for Equity and Inclusion
University of New Mexico
Vice President for Development
Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) Foundation
Vice President for Communications and Public Rela…
American Association of State Colleges and Universities
Research Technician II
Research Foundation for SUNY
Assistant Professor, Architecture
University of Central Florida, School of Visual Arts & Design