Dean, College of Architecture and Design
- New Jersey Institute of Technology
- Newark, NJ 07102
The New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) seeks an energetic and visionary Dean to lead its College of Architecture and Design (CoAD).
The College benefits from a particular set of circumstances that offer faculty and students exciting opportunities for teaching and learning, research, and service. It has graduate and undergraduate programs in architecture, planning, interior, industrial, and digital design, and faculty members from similarly diverse fields. It is one of six colleges and schools in a public polytechnic university that attracts a diversity of students and that encourages collaboration across disciplines. It is located in Newark, NJ, in proximity to New York and to many other urban communities in New Jersey and the larger metropolitan area. The College’s 45-year old School of Architecture and its more recent School of Art + Design now aim to take increasing advantage of the opportunities these varied circumstances provide, and seek a Dean to lead that effort.
As the College’s chief executive officer, the Dean is responsible for academic and scholarly leadership, fundraising, and the advancement of CoAD within the university, the community, and the world. The Dean is expected to conduct goal setting for the College and to work with all constituencies in developing priorities. The successful candidate will also lead student recruitment and coordinate development of the curriculum. The successful Dean candidate will furthermore facilitate research and educational projects and help create and maintain close ties with funding agencies, industry, and other collaborators.
The Dean will convey the viewpoints of CoAD’s faculty and students to the higher administration and will advocate for resources for the College. The successful candidate will articulate to faculty and students the plans and concerns of other university administrators. The successful Dean candidate will participate in meetings of shared-governance bodies and provide input in the development of regulations and programs. The successful candidate will work closely with other Deans and Vice Presidents and serve as an active participant in senior leadership meetings and planning efforts.
To help realize CoAD’s full potential, the Dean will communicate in a clear and consistent manner with CoAD faculty and students, with relevant groups across the campus, with alumni, with local and state governments, and with community partners and industry. The successful candidate will also lead the processes necessary to maintain accreditation of the College’s professional programs.
The Dean is expected to cultivate an atmosphere that supports faculty and student growth, both in rigorous research and in continuous professional development. The Dean will seek interdisciplinary, campus-wide opportunities for collaborative research and teaching projects. The successful candidate will ensure that junior faculty members have the mentoring necessary to be successful in their fields.
As CoAD’s main liaison with College alumni and with the profession, the Dean will play a major role in forming the College’s Advisory Board, and in fostering and maintaining relationships with local practitioners.
As CoAD’s chief executive officer, the Dean will lead fundraising efforts and foster relationships with external constituencies. The successful candidate will work closely with the University’s development team to identify potential donors to support new initiatives in the College.
- The successful candidate will have a distinguished record in scholarship, research, and/or professional practice in architecture, design, or a related field that is commensurate with an appointment at the rank of Professor with academic tenure. Candidates are expected to have earned a university degree at the graduate level that is either highest on the academic track they pursued, or highest on the professional track in their given field of study.
- The successful candidate should also have a demonstrated record of effective managerial leadership and will be committed to diversity, inclusivity, shared governance, and community engagement.
- A proven track record in program development, promotion of inter-disciplinary research, and growth management.
While recognizing that no single person possesses all ideal traits for the position, NJIT seeks candidates who have:
- A vision for how CoAD can draw upon the strengths of its faculty and students and its location at NJIT in Newark to advance the disciplines of architecture and design and to address the challenges currently facing Newark, the State of New Jersey, the larger metropolitan region, and the world beyond;
- The energy and enthusiasm to engage with faculty, students, administration, and alumni to pursue that vision and to lead the College to new levels of success;
- A commitment to participatory decision-making processes;
- The ability to navigate the political landscape of higher education and its various statewide stakeholders.
NJIT values inclusivity and seeks individuals who are committed to working with students, colleagues, and constituencies of diverse backgrounds. We encourage applications from and nominations of candidates from underrepresented groups including women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
The Search Committee invites expressions of interest, nominations, and applications (letter of interest, resume/CV, and contact information for at least three references). These items are to be submitted electronically at http://jobs.njit.edu, Req730. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to November, 1, 2018.
To learn more about the position, and for questions and discussion of the position contact Dr. Kevin Belfield, Search Committee Chair, Dean of the College of Science and Liberal Arts, by phone at (973) 596-3677 or by e-mail at email@example.com
More search results
Assistant Professor, Computing Technology
Professional Lecturer, Computing Technology
Associate Dean of Extension, Director of the Kent…
University of Kentucky
Dean of Libraries
University of Kentucky
Instructor/Assistant Professor Nursing
Suffolk County Community College