- Northern Illinois University
- DeKalb, Illinois
Reporting directly to the Ethics and Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator, the Ethics Investigator is primarily responsible for investigating ethics complaints received by the Ethics and Compliance Office (ECO). Utilizing sound investigatory principles, the Ethics Investigator is responsible for investigating conduct that is prohibited by University policy and state and federal law, including but not limited to the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act and State Officials and Employees Ethics Act. The Ethics Investigator prepares investigation plans, conducts professional interviews of involved parties, and authors detailed reports while maintaining a well-organized and accurate case file.
The Ethics Investigator is also responsible for conducting applicable legal research as it relates to the current trends and laws governing ethics in higher education. By identifying effective communication methods for the dissemination of information to campus constituencies, the Ethics Investigator is also responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of applicable policies and response procedures.
As a member of the Ethics and Compliance Office, the Ethics Investigator may be required to conduct investigations in response to discrimination complaints filed in accordance with the Nondiscrimination/Harassment Compliant Policy and Procedures for Employees and Students. Assisting with other related inquiries/complaints including, but not limited to services and coordination required by the Office of General Counsel as it relates to preparation for matters filed with the Office of Executive Inspector General (OEIG) or Executive Ethics Commission (EEC) may also be required.
- Conduct prompt, thorough and equitable investigations for Ethics Complaints filed by NIU students, faculty, or staff, and visitors or third-party participants.
- Utilizing sound investigatory principles, interview complainants, respondents, witnesses and related individuals to determine violations and proposed conclusions.
- Prepare comprehensive executive report and summary of all findings based upon an analysis and synthesis of evidence gathered during the investigation.
- Assist Ethics and Compliance Officer with complaint intake process and investigation procedures.
- Conduct investigations of discrimination complaints upon request.
- Utilize applicable legal research methods and investigatory principles to determine outcome of ethics investigations/inquiries.
- Update electronic complaint database throughout investigation process.
- Collaborate with campus and community offices and departments on issues related to ethics and compliance related matters.
- Conduct compliance education programming and training upon request.
- Maintain high levels of responsiveness, attention to detail, follow-through and customer service as a principle representative of ECO. Monitor these standards for other staff in the department and division.
- Exhibit a model for ethical conduct and standards across the university.
- Other duties as assigned by the Ethics and Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator.
- Master’s Degree in law, communication, political science, public administration, adult and higher education, or related field.
- Three (3) years of professional experience conducting comprehensive investigations.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and problem solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to exercise independent sound judgment and reasoning.
- Strong organizational skills and the flexibility to work independently as well as in a team environment are a must.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Word and other Internet applications.
- Valid Driver’s License.
- J.D. preferred.
- Experience investigating ethics complaints in the higher education setting.
- Knowledge and understanding of state and federal laws impacting public service organizations or institutions of higher education.
- Proven commitment to and experience working with diverse populations.
Required Applicant Documents
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- List of References
Please submit application and documents through NIU online employment system at http://employment.niu.edu/postings/36660. Review of completed applications will begin on September 7, 2018; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please contact Sarah Garner at email@example.com questions regarding this position and applications.
EEO Statement and Visa Policy
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIUis an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document from upon hire.
More search results
Senior Vice President and Provost
Hawai’i Pacific University
Chief Operating Officer
American Accounting Association
Assistant Professor of Finance
Finance & Business Law Department
Open Rank Professor of Business
Senior Director, Institutionally Related Foundati…
Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges