- Pasadena City College
- Pasadena, California
Student Success, Our Top Priority
The Board of Trustees for Pasadena City College (PCC) invites applications and nominations for the position of Superintendent/President. The board and its appointed search committee seek a dynamic, forthright, and courageous leader who will bring insights, vision, and exceptional management principles to a nationally recognized academic enterprise. The new Superintendent/President must model sound decision-making skills, courageous actions, and a deep, unbreakable commitment to excellence and equity at all levels for the PCC community.
In keeping with PCC’s values and mission to enrich students' academic, personal, and professional lives, the new Superintendent/President will join college leadership to guide a strategic plan that puts students first and at the center of every decision. The plan will be accomplished through five critical goals: increasing the number of students who earn degrees; increasing the number of students who transfer to a four-year institution; decreasing the number of units accumulated for students earning Associate degrees; increasing the median earnings or number of graduates earning the regional living wage; and closing equity and opportunity gaps in all of those areas.
Recognizing its centennial year in 2024, the college has distinguished itself in the state, region, and country and has been recognized three times as a Top Ten Community College in the United States by the Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence. Students pursue Associate degrees for transfer, the Associate in Arts and Associate in Science degrees, and the Career Technical Education Associate in Science degree. Career and Technical Education certificate programs complete the opportunities given to over 24,000 students. Student athletes enjoy basketball, cross country, swimming, tennis, track and field, volleyball, baseball, softball, football, and soccer. The Lancers compete as members of the South Coast Conference; they also are members of the Southern California Football Association. Pasadena City College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and carries numerous programmatic accreditations. Importantly, the college has been designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution and an Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institution.
PCC has four satellite campuses: the Child Development Center, the Foothill campus, the Rosemead campus, and the Northwest campus at John Muir High School. Its operating budget is approximately $218 million.
As the face, voice, and champion for PCC, the new Superintendent/President will join with the Board of Trustees to lead positive change as an innovative, entrepreneurial administrator of the highest integrity. The successful candidate will exhibit humility and appreciate the power of lessons learned from both success and failure. This candidate will have the background and experiential wherewithal to address the following:
- A caring, teach-first, student-centered learning focus addressing preparation, support, and success needs for all students;
- Commitment to the ideals of “belonging” and demands of justice, diversity, and racial equity for PCC students, employees, and partners;
- A unifying team builder and team player, inspiring trust, credibility, and confidence with stakeholders;
- Effective problem solver and decision maker, communicating both broadly and in a transparent, timely manner;
- Competence in budgeting, financial management, fundraising, and identifying new external funding sources with the PCC Foundation;
- Respect for the balance between shared governance practices and fair, responsible actions in a collective bargaining environment;
- Planning experience permitting guidance of the PCC strategic plan, vision, mission, goals, values, and policies;
- Advancement of a technology framework that prioritizes best practices and addresses trends for in-person, hybrid, and online learning growth opportunities;
- Knowledge of enrollment management strategies with bold, innovative outlooks to support growth, retention, access, and success;
- Ability to navigate and build consensus among diverse internal and external constituencies toward healthy engagement and bridge-building;
- Political savvy and experience with collaborations and building partnerships with stakeholder groups, including but not limited to state and city government, K-12 and other institutions of higher education, business and industry;
- Capacity to attract, retain, and develop a talented, accountable managerial team and administrative staff;
- Communicator and active listener with an approachable, transparent, open-door, servant leader style; and
- A relevant advanced degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.
APPLICATIONS AND NOMINATIONS
The Board of Trustees will identify a leader who respects the power of continuity with necessary change and fosters a culture of community within and outside campus boundaries. Knowledge of or the ability to learn quickly the policies of the California Community Colleges system will be an invaluable characteristic. For best consideration, applications should be received by February 12, 2024, and must include the following: a letter of interest (not more than three pages); a current résumé (or curriculum vitae); and the names of five professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers. References will not be contacted without prior authorization. It is anticipated that the new Superintendent/President will be selected by or before April 2024.
Application materials should be submitted in PDF format through the AGB Search portal at: Pasadena City College - Superintendent/President.
Please direct any nominations, expressions of interest, or questions regarding the application process to PasadenaSuperintendentPresident@agbsearch.com or to the AGB Search team:
Kim Bobby, Principal
email@example.com / 253-861-7738
James McCormick, Senior Executive Search Consultant
firstname.lastname@example.org / 651-238-5188
Janice Fitzgerald, Senior Executive Search Consultant
email@example.com / 717-580-0663
Additional information may be found at https://pasadena.edu/about/president/search/index.php and Active Searches | AGB Search.
Salary range: $320,000 - $360,000
Equal Employment Opportunity - Office of Human Resources - Pasadena City College. The Pasadena Area Community College District (District) is committed to equal employment opportunity compliance, and dedicated to creating a work and academic environment that welcomes all, fosters diversity, and promotes excellence.