Dean, College of Business
- Northern Illinois University
- DeKalb, IL
Northern Illinois University (NIU), a student-centered, nationally recognized public research university located 65 miles west of Chicago invites applications for the position of Dean of the College of Business. NIU seeks an accomplished and visionary academic leader to advance NIU’s strong culture of teaching, research, service, and innovation.
NIU offers the Dean an incredible opportunity to implement bold and positive new initiatives, in partnership with the President, the Provost, and a collegial group of deans and vice presidents. NIU has a stimulating university environment, supportive local community, and an enthusiastic and engaged alumni base.
The NIU College of Business serves the greater Chicago region and beyond. The NIU College of Business Core Values - Excellence, Integrity, and Caring - provide a framework for our decisions and guides our actions. Our students come from modest beginnings, and many are the first in their families to attend college. At NIU, faculty and staff provide active learning experiences that create competencies demanded of the occupations of the future. Our model of engaged learning helps foster deep partnerships, and the resulting real-world experiences expand students’ content knowledge, social and cultural aptitude, entrepreneurial mindset, and digital and data skills. Students build professional networks, put voice to their values and become changemakers in their communities and organizations. Our commitment to excellence is also expressed through our scholarship which is discipline-based and contributes to practice. Faculty are regularly recognized for their outstanding scholarly activity.
Nationally recognized, our College of Business is among the elite 5% of business schools worldwide that have AACSB accreditation in both business and accounting and is one of the nation’s esteemed business schools for 34 consecutive years (since 1987) according to the U.S. News & World Report (2022 ranking). The college has a strong reputation in academic and industry circles for preparing principled business leaders of tomorrow and has deep connections with over 300 firms in Chicago and the suburbs including Fortune companies as well as entrepreneurial startups. The experiential learning model of the college is distinguished by ensuring students have the ability to integrate knowledge across functional areas to turn challenges into opportunities. Among its many achievements, our College of Business is recognized for its active engagement in the Chicago area business community as well as for its nationally and world-renowned faculty — the majority of whom served as business professionals before earning their doctorates.
The Dean serves as a senior administrative officer who reports directly to the Provost and is responsible for the academic, programmatic, administrative, and fiscal leadership of the College of Business. The Dean leads the College and works in collaboration with the faculty, staff, students, and other stakeholders to formulate and implement an effective strategic plan consistent with the institution-wide planning, budgeting, and evaluation process. This position develops, fosters, and maintains positive and productive relationships with key College stakeholders within and external to the University. The Dean manages the College’s budget and resources effectively, transparently, and collaboratively.
- Provides leadership of the academic, programmatic, administrative, and fiscal endeavors of the College of Business.
- Fosters collaboration with the faculty, staff, students, and other stakeholders to formulate and implement an effective strategic plan consistent with the institution-wide planning, budgeting, and evaluation process.
- Develops, fosters, and maintains positive and productive relationships with key College stakeholders within and external to the University.
- Manages the College’s budget and resources effectively, transparently, and collaboratively.
- Works as a team member and plans in a way that aligns resources with goals.
- Implements bold and positive new initiatives, in partnership with the President, the Provost, and a collegial group of deans and vice presidents.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- An earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree.
- Faculty credentials that demonstrate teaching experience and research, scholarship, and/or creative achievement consistent with appointment to the NIU faculty at the rank of tenured full professor.
- Progressive administrative experience in higher education and demonstrated visionary leadership skills.
- Experience with budget and financial management processes, strategic planning, policy formation, and personnel management.
- Knowledge and support of the vision, mission, and core values of both the College of Business and the broader university.
- Showcase an understanding of the various challenges facing colleges of business at student-centered, engaged, public research universities.
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as a part of the university’s overall strategic vision.
- Respect for shared governance, and documented ability to form strong working relationships with campus stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal, collaborative, and communications skills which perpetuate a continued culture of caring amongst all College stakeholders.
- Ability to raise funds from a variety of sources, including private donors, foundations, and government agencies.
- Possess the highest degree of personal integrity.
- Understand and support the vision, mission, and core values of both the College of Business and the broader University.
- Possess the agility necessary to move ideas to action in a timely manner through shared leadership of the College and must be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and freedom of expression across the College.
- Demonstrate integrity and superb judgment, exemplified by fairness, flexibility, empathy, and responsiveness.
- Ability to work well as a team member and is someone who understands the importance of planning in a way that aligns resources with goals.
- Experience working with collective bargaining units and an understanding of labor and management roles and responsibilities at an institution of higher education.
- Proven competency to support and maintain productive relationships with the College’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience addressing challenges of student enrollment and retention while maintaining high academic standards.
- A record of support and understanding of innovation within the context of a College of Business.
- Appreciation for the importance of access, affordability, accountability, and regional engagement to the mission of a nationally recognized, regionally relevant, public research university.
- A capacity to promote and build academic excellence in teaching and research.
- Knowledge of AACSB and all other accrediting standards pertinent to the College and an ability to interpret and implement applicable standards of accrediting bodies.
- Appreciation for the value and importance of a well-rounded education that promotes integration of learning and develops the critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills essential for success at work, citizenship, and life.
Nomination and Application Process
For a complete position profile, please visit: https://www.parkersearch.com/current-opportunities/northern-illinois-university/dean-college-business. Nominations and applications will be held in confidence except for finalists. Completed applications should be received by February 7, 2024, for optimal consideration; review of completed applications will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should include with their curriculum vitae, a letter of application describing their relevant experiences and interest in the position, a separate diversity statement describing their commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and the names and contact information of at least five references. References will not be contacted without prior permission of the applicant.
Please submit all nominations, applications, and communications to the search firm assisting NIU:
Laurie Wilder, President
Jacob Anderson, Senior Principal
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 x 111
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.
More search results
Dean, College of Natural Science
Michigan State University
Director of Leadership Giving and Relationships, …
Ferris State University
Dean of Business
Michigan State University
Dean of the College of the Arts and Architecture
University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee
Central Michigan University