Director of University Experiential Learning
The University of Georgia (UGA) seeks a visionary leader for the position of Director of University Experiential Learning. The University of Georgia recognizes that students in the 21st century must be able to tackle real-world problems and use critical thinking and problem solving skills to solve multifaceted problems that do not have simple solutions. A growing body of research demonstrates that experiential learning enhances student learning, success in the classroom, on-time graduation, and transition to the workforce. Thus, the University of Georgia requires all undergraduate students to engage in at least one hands-on, experiential learning as a graduation requirement. This requirement, which went into effect in the fall of 2016, takes the world-class learning experience that the University of Georgia provides to an even higher level by giving students hands-on opportunities to connect their academic foundations to the world beyond the classroom through creative endeavors, study abroad and field schools, internship and leadership opportunities, faculty-mentored research, and service-learning.
Reporting to the Vice President for Instruction, the Director will have oversight of the Office of Experiential Learning, including all matters related to personnel and budget. The Director will serve as a champion of Experiential Learning, articulating a vision to various stakeholders within the University as well as community and industry partners outside the University. The role will include responsibility for identifying and developing innovative ways to advance experiential learning through a variety of activities or experiences. This will include efforts to better integrate experiential learning within the academic curriculum; fostering collaboration between academic units in various schools and colleges with opportunities in areas such as the Division of Student Affairs, Libraries, Public Service and Outreach, Office of Service Learning, Office of International Education, Center for Undergraduate Research, local/regional community and industry partners, and others; and scaling up existing experiential learning opportunities as well as developing new opportunities to increase the number of available experiential learning options for students.
Some aspects of the job will be as follows:
- The Director will need to develop and implement an assessment plan for experiential learning to ensure continuous improvement in this effort, while also meeting all necessary requirements for University accreditation.
- The Director will partner with the Experiential Learning Certification Officers across the University of Georgia and the faculty governance process, especially the Experiential Learning subcommittee of the University Curriculum Committee to facilitate documentation and certification of the graduation requirements.
- The Director will work closely with other administrative offices, including the Office of the Registrar and the Enterprise Information Technology Services, to document and track student participation in experiential learning activities, develop and produce an experiential learning transcript and help foster innovative use of data that will become available through these efforts.
- Wherever appropriate, the Director should be able to support the University’s broader academic goals, such as curricular and pedagogical changes recommended by the President’s Task Force on Student Learning and Success, through the Experiential Learning requirements.
- The Director will also pursue external funding to support experiential learning, strategically promote the University’s efforts through appropriate awards and recognition, as well as collaborate with the Division of Development and Alumni Relations in fund raising to support student participation in experiential learning opportunities.
- Master’s degree required; Doctoral degree is preferred.
- Preferred qualifications include:
- Administrative experience, including managing personnel and budgets and experience working collaboratively among key stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience implementing technological innovations
- Experience building collaborations within higher education units, especially with units outside individual schools and colleges, that have or can create Experiential Learning opportunities for students
- Experience fundraising and/or working with Development/Alumni Relations
We are not able to sponsor for a work visa or US permanent residency.
The selected candidate will be appointed administrative faculty.
- Administrative oversight of the Experiential Learning office and staff
- Oversight of existing Experiential Learning opportunities, including expansion and continuous improvement
- Partner with various stakeholders to help design new/innovative experiential opportunities, promote new collaborations and communication between various stakeholders, and manage the approval and implementation of those opportunities
- Design and implement an assessment plan for experiential learning; use data to enable programmatic change as needed
- In collaboration with EITS, identify/develop and implement technical tools and resources to enhance experiential learning, the experiential learning transcript, and related innovations
- Support the experiential learning subcommittee of the UCC and the Experiential Learning advisory board
- Seek external grants, recognitions and awards, and support fundraising efforts
- Support broader academic goals of the University and the Office of Instruction
UGA is ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton.
UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the birthplace of public higher education in America. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students, including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens. Additional information about the University of Georgia is available at http://www.uga.edu/.
Applications: Applicant screening will begin immediately. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials by Thursday, October 4, 2018; however, screening will continue until the position is filled. The application packet should include a cover letter detailing how the applicant’s credentials and experience meet the needs, responsibilities, and qualifications stated above; a current resume; and full contact information for three references (who will not be contacted without further correspondence with the applicant).
Nominations, questions and/or other inquiries should be directed to Damla Williams, Primary Consultant with the UGA Search Group, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 706-542-7344.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status. As such, the University of Georgia is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. We not only strongly encourage women, minorities and other diverse candidates to consider applying for this position, but we also maintain that all candidates should share our commitment to diversity and inclusion. Persons needing accommodations or assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this search are encouraged to contact Central HR (HRWeb@uga.edu). Please do not contact the department or search committee with such requests.
More search results
Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Environmental…
University of Texas Arlington
Biblical Studies and Religious Studies Faculty
Assistant or Associate Professor of Computer Scie…
California State University, Bakersfield
California State University, Bakersfield
Senior Director of Development, College of Creati…