Executive Vice President and Provost
- Northern Illinois University
- DeKalb, IL
Northern Illinois University (NIU) invites applications and nominations for the position of executive vice president and provost (EVPP). The EVPP reports directly to the president and is expected to lead the institution in the president’s absence. The NIU EVPP must understand the university’s vision and mission and support our core values. In addition, the candidate of choice will embrace hard work and not shy away from challenges. They will possess the agility necessary to move ideas to action in a timely manner through shared leadership. They must be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and freedom of expression across the institution. This includes unwavering support for academic freedom and individual expression. They must also demonstrate unimpeachable integrity and superb judgment exemplified by fairness, flexibility, empathy, and responsiveness. Exceptional communications skills are required.
As the chief academic officer and with oversight for student affairs, the EVPP must be an experienced administrator with a demonstrated record of strategic leadership skills. The EVPP offers the right person an incredible opportunity to implement bold and positive new initiatives in partnership with President Lisa C. Freeman, collegial deans and vice presidents, a stimulating university community, supportive local community, and an enthusiastic and engaged alumni base. NIU is seeking a strong leader with a vision — one who is able to communicate effectively across stakeholders, who works well as a team member and who understands the importance of planning in a way that aligns resources with goals.
While the EVPP will work across senior leaders and is expected to collaborate on a variety of matters, the leadership necessary to do the following will be imperative for the success of the next EVPP: Collaborate with the vice president for Administration and Finance/chief financial officer to move forward an academically responsive and fiscally responsible budget; vice president for Research and Innovation Partnerships to align priorities, ensure synergy of the university’s academic research and innovation missions; vice president for Enrollment Management, Marketing and Communications to advance recruitment and retention initiatives; vice president for Outreach, Engagement and Regional Development on engagement initiatives; and the vice president for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to align academic policies with NIU’s values of inclusion.
The EVPP will be responsible for strengthening administrative processes and support systems, improving internal communications, establishing a synergistic and inclusive community, guiding faculty development and scholarship, setting budget policy, and fostering partnerships and engagement locally, regionally, nationally and internationally. They must possess a clear sense of the various challenges of a public research university with undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools; demonstrate experience with, and commitment to, shared governance; and have the skills required to promote individual and mutual strengths within and among units.
The EVPP oversees the following:
- Academic colleges.
- Graduate School and International Affairs.
- University Libraries.
- Academic Affairs.
- Faculty Affairs.
- ADEI (dual report with the president).
- Student Affairs.
- Institutional Research and Analytics.
- Title IX.
- Center for Innovative Teaching and Learning.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- An earned doctorate or appropriate terminal degree.
- Faculty credentials that demonstrate teaching experience as well as research, scholarly, and/or creative achievement consistent with appointment to the NIU faculty at the rank of tenured, full professor.
- Experienced administrator in higher education with demonstrated leadership skills and a minimum of 10 years of experience in leadership roles.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
- A clear understanding of the various challenges facing student-centered, engaged, public research universities.
- Appreciation for the importance of access, affordability, accountability, and regional engagement to the mission of a nationally recognized, regionally relevant, public research university.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging as a part of the university’s overall strategic vision.
- Respect for shared leadership and shared governance, and documented ability to form strong working relationships with campus stakeholders.
- Experience working with collective bargaining units and an understanding of labor and management roles and responsibilities at an institution of higher education.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and collaborate with executive leadership to advance academic initiatives, including but not limited to those focused on student success and faculty development.
- A record of accomplishment as an academic leader who confronts challenges and implements solutions using an approach characterized by collaboration, open communication, inclusive decision-making, respect for shared governance and collective bargaining, integrity, and courage of convictions.
- Experience developing, implementing and/or launching innovative academic programs in ways that demonstrate respect for excellence, innovation, and accountability in all aspects of the university’s mission.
- Comprehensive and actionable understanding of current and emerging academic issues and higher education’s evolving operating environment, combined with a record of successful leadership during a period of change.
- Administrative experience with budgeting and financial planning; well-developed understanding of the interface between financial planning and enrollment management; and willingness and ability to work within a multiyear, all-funds budget framework.
- Successful experience with oversight of program development, implementation, assessment, and accreditation with demonstrated commitment to continuous program improvement.
- Documented ability to communicate and engage with external constituencies such as governing and coordinating boards, legislative bodies, public agencies, funding agencies, community partners, alumni, and donors.
- Appreciation for the value and importance of a well-rounded education that promotes integration of learning across the curriculum and co-curriculum and develops the critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills essential for success at work, citizenship, and life.
Nominations and applications will be held in confidence except for finalists. Completed applications should be received by January 10, 2024, for optimal consideration; review of completed applications will continue until the position is filled. Candidates should include with their curriculum vitae a letter of application describing their relevant experiences and interest in the position together with the names, addresses and phone numbers of at least five to seven references. References will not be contacted without prior permission of the applicant. Please submit all nominations, applications and communications to the search firm assisting NIU:
Porsha L. Williams, Vice President
Erin Raines, Senior Principal
Delando Crooks, Ph.D., Associate
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
770-804-1996, Ext. 109
email@example.com || firstname.lastname@example.org || email@example.com
In compliance with the Illinois Campus Security Act, before an offer of employment is made, the university will conduct a pre-employment background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action. NIU recognizes Dual Career issues.
FOR BROADER POSITION PROFILE, please visit Current Opportunities page on www.parkersearch.com
More search results
Recruitment Logistics Coordinator
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
University Strategy Officer
Kansas State University
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor (HS Clin,…
University of California San Diego
Dean of the College of Education
The University of Memphis
GASTROENTEROLOGISTS AND TRANSPLANT HEPATOLOGISTS
GI - University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics