Dean of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication
- University of Oklahoma
- Norman, OK
- Commensurate with Experience
The University of Oklahoma seeks an innovative, dynamic candidate for the position of Dean of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication. The Gaylord College was founded in 1913 and offers undergraduate and graduate programs in journalism, mass communication, and public relations. The college is accredited by the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (ACEJMC). The College has a strong reputation for academic excellence. In 2023, Gaylord College was ranked #2 in the nation by the Broadcast Education Association for student achievements.
The Dean is the college's chief academic and administrative officer and reports to the Senior Vice President and Provost. As the College’s chief academic officer, the Dean provides intellectual and administrative leadership, guiding the College in its commitment to innovative, relevant education for current and future generations of students. The Dean’s responsibilities include consulting with and empowering faculty to revise and develop curricula; maintaining high standards of teaching, research, and service; administering the College’s budget; recruiting faculty; taking a leading role in other faculty personnel matters, including tenure, promotion, and renewal; and advocating for the College at the University and national level. The Dean also has primary responsibilities for external initiatives, including community outreach and development at the state and national levels.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Oversight of all academic programs.
- Oversight of all aspects of college governance.
- Hiring faculty and staff, management of personnel, and oversight of all review processes.
- Management of the budget.
- Oversight of strategic planning and implementation.
- Directing external relations, including developing ties with alumni and state government.
- Leading fundraising activities.
- Implementation of all University and state procedures and policies.
- Representing the College to University senior administration.
Professional qualifications for this position include:
- A record of accomplishments (academic or professional) to qualify for appointment at the rank of Professor.
- Proven transformational leader who can be a champion for the College.
- Ability to spearhead and articulate a shared vision and leadership role for the College.
- Demonstrated fiscal responsibility, budget management, strategic planning skills, and fundraising success.
- Commitment to the enhancement of the student experience.
- Ability to facilitate recruitment and development of exceptional faculty, staff, and students.
- Ability to promote multidisciplinary research and teaching, including experience cultivating innovative scholarship and creative activity.
- Commitment to a collaborative approach to faculty and staff governance and decision-making and creating an environment that promotes and rewards excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Ability to advocate for the College at local, state, and national levels.
- An understanding of and commitment to journalism and communication education.
- Ability to lead curricular and programmatic innovations and entrepreneurial efforts.
- Commitment to the mission of Gaylord College and the University.
- Ability to build strong relationships with industry leaders and alumni in Oklahoma, across the country, and worldwide.
The successful candidate for the Dean of the Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication position will be an experienced and compassionate leader who has expertise in maintaining and strengthening internal and external relationships with individuals and constituencies in support of the College while also handling multiple University priorities.
How to Apply
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, LLC is assisting the University of Oklahoma in this search. Applications and nominations are now being accepted and will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. In order to assure the fullest consideration, candidates are encouraged to have complete applications submitted by January 1, 2024.
Inquiries, nominations, and application materials should be directed to Greenwood Asher and Associates. For a full application package, please provide a cover letter in which candidates should address their approach to leadership, a curriculum vitae, and a list of five references. Submission of application materials as PDF attachments is strongly encouraged. All applications, nominations, and inquiries will remain confidential to the extent allowed under Oklahoma law. An offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory pre-employment background check.
Please direct inquiries, nominations, and application materials to:
Julie Holley, Search Manager & Associate Vice President of Executive Search
Maggie Mayes, Senior Executive Search Consultant
Mission of the University of Oklahoma
The Mission of the University of Oklahoma is to provide the best possible educational experience for our students through excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and service to the state and society.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The University of Oklahoma, in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, disability, political beliefs, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. This includes, but is not limited to: admissions, employment, financial aid, housing, services in educational programs or activities, or health care services that the University operates or provides.
The University of Oklahoma is committed to achieving an equitable, diverse, and inclusive university community by recognizing each person's unique contributions, background, and perspectives. The University of Oklahoma strives to cultivate a sense of belonging and emotional support for all, recognizing that fostering an inclusive environment for all is vital in the pursuit of academic and inclusive excellence in all aspects of our institutional mission.
More search results
Wayne State University – Assistant Professor, Ele…
Wayne State University College of Engineering
Harold Tanner Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Dean, University of Pittsburgh Swanson School of …
University of Pittsburgh
Associate Vice President, Culture and Belonging
Kent State University
Dean, College of Engineering
University of Illinois Chicago