Vice Chancellor for Extension & Engagement, UM System Chief Engagement Officer
University of Missouri Extension and Engagement serves the state of Missouri as a unified outreach organization, leading the way as a national model of organization and delivery. Through a legacy of leaders with bold vision and broad aspirations for the impacts of extension and engagement within the state of Missouri, we have continually been on the cutting edge of the land-grant movement. Today, we are seeking an innovative and forward-thinking leader to guide the next phase of MU Extension and Engagement’s evolutionary journey.
The Vice Chancellor for Extension & Engagement and UM System Chief Engagement Officer will lead initiatives across a state that is richly diverse in terms of its demographic composition, economic profile, rural and urban communities, and unique physical geography. Integral to this mission is a network of faculty and committed experts spanning the four campuses of the University of Missouri System as well as regional specialists, staff, and community volunteers in the state’s 114 counties and the city of St. Louis.
Our next Vice Chancellor for Extension & Engagement and System Chief Engagement Officer will pursue an exciting set of opportunities and challenges. Over the last decade, a strategic shift toward community engagement has transformed our approach to extension and priority of engagement, scaling our impact in innovative new directions. Throughout this journey, we have reached beyond agriculture to build solutions that address healthcare disparities, enhance workforce training, elevate educational impact, and facilitate community development in both urban and rural settings. MU Extension is now poised to go to the next level by fully harnessing the power of engagement across our entire university system and healthcare enterprise. As part of this ambitious and expansive vision, we seek to further our statewide reach, deepen our presence in urban areas, expand corporate engagement, improve healthcare delivery, trailblaze in the workforce development space, and further support our robust and innovative agricultural economy.
Opportunities and Expectations for Leadership
Our next Vice Chancellor and Chief Engagement Officer will lead faculty and staff throughout Missouri to serve and support our citizenry, ensure they have a voice, and encourage them to view Extension’s success and sustainability as critical to our collective future.
Key responsibilities include:
- lead and direct the development, articulation, and implementation of a comprehensive, forward-looking shared vision for MU Extension and Engagement;
- provide statewide leadership and administration for MU Extension through the development, delivery, and evaluation of statewide Extension programs in accordance with federal and state statutes and policies;
- identify opportunities for the university system to contribute to the region's economic and social development; ideally, such efforts lead to partnerships with local business, government agencies, and non-profit organizations by promoting research, innovation, and/or workforce development;
- deepen MU Extension's collaborations with public and private entities at all levels—including county, regional, and state extension councils, and state and federal agencies;
- build productive relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, including alumni, donors, community members, government officials, industry partners, and other organizations;
- engage government officials and agencies to advocate for the university's interests, seek funding opportunities, and navigate regulatory matters.
- promote the importance of community-engaged scholarship within the University of Missouri System;
- value the perspectives of field faculty and staff and include their input into decision making;
- model integrity in all interactions/communications with internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will possess a terminal degree and an overall record of accomplishment spanning at least 10 years in order to be considered. Considerations for an academic appointment will be considered dependent upon the academic record of the individual selected.
The University anticipates this appointment will be made in early 2024. Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Review of applications will begin immediately. For full consideration, applicant material should be provided by November 8, 2023. Candidates should include a cover letter outlining leadership qualifications that address the priorities described above as well as a detailed curriculum vitae.
Nominations and inquiries of interest may be sent in confidence to the University’s executive search partner:
Tim McIntosh, Senior Director of Recruitment
University of Missouri System
Applications can be submitted online HERE
The full position profile is available online: https://umurl.us/mu-vc-ext
The University of Missouri values the uniqueness of every individual and strives to ensure each person’s success. Contributions from individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives promote intellectual pluralism and enable us to achieve the excellence that we seek in learning, research and engagement. This makes our university a better place to work, learn and innovate.
The University will recruit and employ qualified personnel and will provide equal opportunities during employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status.
More search results
Vice President of Finance and Administration
Pacific University Forest Grove Campus
Vice Chancellor for Diversity, Equity, and Inclus…
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse
Assistant to the VP for SCAD Atlanta/Dean of Acad…
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
Chancellor and Dean
Pennsylvania State University
Vice President for Research
Stony Brook University