- Texas A&M International University
- Laredo, Texas
Dean, College of Arts and Sciences
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) seeks nominations and applications for the position of Dean, College of Arts and Sciences (CoAS). The University is seeking an innovative Dean to provide strategic leadership for the College of Arts and Sciences. The desired candidate will have a proven track record of delivering results, making measurable changes, implementing innovative solutions, professionally developing their team members and working collaboratively across a complex organization and a broad range of community stakeholders.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide academic and educational leadership, management, and appropriate administrative oversight and support for all units and personnel within CoAS.
- Serve as the chief budgeting and operating officer for CoAS with overall responsibility for all resource allocation.
- Promote and provide leadership and advocate locally and at the system level for CoAS programs and services.
- Participate in University and System leadership activities, in regional and state organizations or functions, and in appropriate affiliations with external and national organizations.
- Work with the academic leadership of the University (and the System as appropriate) to build interdisciplinary relationships and collaborative experiences for the students and faculty.
- Pursue opportunities and provide support to develop internal and external partnerships to advance college programs, services, and fundraising.
- Pursue and promote active and mutually beneficial collaboration with stakeholders and constituents, including schools and state and local governments.
- Support high impact practices, experiential learning, and innovative pedagogy.
- Shepherd academic program development and enrollment management.
- Encourage research, scholarship, and creative activity among the faculty.
- Serve as a local ambassador-scholar and stakeholder in community scientific, artistic, and cultural initiatives.
The position is an on-campus position as it is expected the Dean will be a visible member of the TAMIU and Laredo communities. This document represents the major duties and responsibilities of this job and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
- Record of distinction in teaching, research and scholarly activity that is commensurate for the appointment of full professor with tenure.
- An earned doctorate from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated ability to motivate stakeholders and to develop and engage in collaborative relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to participate in shared governance.
- Ability to foster partnerships and programs to advance the College’s and University’s goals.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance brand management in higher education.
- Strong communication skills.
- High energy coupled with enthusiastic leadership abilities.
- Experience overseeing large, complex budgets, fiscal matters, strategic planning and personnel management.
- A comprehensive understanding and appreciation of the disciplines represented within the college and how they fit more broadly into the mission of an emerging research university.
- Accomplishment in fostering excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching, learning and student success including retention and graduation rates.
- Experience promoting the growth of research, scholarship, and creative activity among the faculty.
- The capacity to effectively interface and collaborate with other academic leadership including Deans of other colleges across campus.
- Visionary leadership skills needed to propel the College into its next phase of development.
About Texas A&M International University
Texas A&M International University (TAMIU) is a young, international university, poised at the Gateway to México and serving as the cultural and intellectual hub of a vibrant multilingual and multicultural community. It is also a designated Hispanic-serving institution (HSI). Now a regional university of choice, TAMIU is home to five colleges/schools: the College of Arts and Sciences, the A. R. Sanchez, Jr. School of Business, the College of Education, the College of Nursing and Health Sciences with its Dr. F. M. Canseco School of Nursing, and University College.
The College of Arts and Sciences is the University's largest and most comprehensive academic unit. The College enjoys a broad mission in teaching, research, creative activities, and service to our local, regional, national, and international communities. The mission of the College is to prepare students to think critically and communicate effectively, as well as to ready them to become leaders in their communities and in their chosen fields.
A Member of The Texas A&M University System, TAMIU provides over 8,400 students, the majority first-generation, with a learning environment anchored by the highest-quality programs built on a solid academic foundation in the arts and sciences. To fulfill its mission, the University offers a range of baccalaureate and master's programs and doctorates in International Business and Criminal Justice. Programs focus on developing undergraduate and graduate offerings with a progressive international agenda for global study and understanding across all disciplines. The University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award baccalaureate, masters, and doctorate degrees. To see the various program accreditations, please visit: https://go.tamiu.edu/accreditation.
TAMIU prepares students for leadership roles in an increasingly complex, culturally diverse state, national, and global society. Through instruction, faculty and student research, and public service, TAMIU improves the quality of lives for citizens of the border region, the State of Texas, and national and international communities. The University’s leadership has long provided a stabilizing force in the University's dynamic growth, carefully evaluating, and maintaining its progress and positive direction. For more facts, rankings, and accolades, please see: https://go.tamiu.edu/accolades.
The campus has completed Phase VII of its Master Plan with its crowning jewel, the Academic Innovation Center with state-of-the art laboratories. Also, part of the complex is the Trailblazer Tower, the tallest structure on TAMIU’s campus. As a whole, the TAMIU built environment represents an investment in Texas’ higher education of over $250 million. Phase VIII, including a new Health Science Education Research Center and an expansion of the Western Hemispheric Trade Center is currently underway. The University is recognized as the primary catalyst for creative change and dynamic community growth, powered by widening access to accessible, affordable, and exceptional higher education at TAMIU. Likewise, the University’s outreach to surrounding rural communities is eagerly anticipated and received. The University is strongly positioned to continue to deliver its cherished mission and aggressively seeks out opportunities to serve and provide opportunities for economic growth for the region.
About Laredo, Texas
One of the state’s and nation’s fastest-growing communities, Laredo is a diverse city founded in 1755 with a colorful environment and semi-arid tropical climate that affords a pleasant lifestyle for all. Outdoor activities are possible year-round in the city’s abundant neighborhood parks, and celebrations, festivals, and cultural opportunities abound. Steeped in a shared bilingual and bicultural history, a downtown revitalization project is currently underway and major commercial development projects are committed. While Laredo values its unique shared history, it is eager to explore new and exciting opportunities to advance, engage and grow the surrounding county, region, and state.
Located 156 miles south of San Antonio, 158 miles west of Corpus Christi, and 153 miles north of Monterrey, Nuevo León, México, Laredo is the nation’s largest inland port and anchors an enviable crossroads of international business and life. Niche has recognized Laredo as one of its Top 50 Cities, noting its low cost of living and quality public schools, and SmartAsset just recently recognized Laredo as the 7th safest city among the top 100 safest cities in the nation.
Nomination and Application Process
Parker Executive Search is assisting Texas A&M International University in its search for the next Dean, College of Arts and Sciences. The Search Committee invites letters of nomination, applications (letter of interest, full resume/CV, and contact information of at least five references), or expressions of interest to be submitted to the search firm assisting the University. Review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. It is preferred, however, that all nominations and applications be submitted prior to October 27, 2023. For additional information, please contact:
Porsha Williams, Vice President
Jacob Anderson, Senior Principal
Jack McGrew, Executive Recruiting Coordinator
Parker Executive Search
Five Concourse Parkway, Suite 2875
Atlanta, GA 30328
(770) 804-1996 ext. 111
firstname.lastname@example.org || email@example.com
Texas A&M International University shall provide equal opportunity for employment to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and shall strive to achieve full and equal employment opportunity for its employees
More search results
University of South Florida
Executive Director of the Paul and Diane Manning …
University of Virginia
Dean, College of Engineering
University of Connecticut
Assistant Vice President for International Affair…
California State University, Fresno
Idaho State University