Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- University of North Texas Health Science Center
- Fort Worth, TX
The University of North Texas Health Science Center (UNTHSC) invites nominations, expressions of interest, and applications for the position of Dean, Graduate School of Biomedical (GSBS). The next Dean will be a key member of the UNTHSC leadership team committed to realizing the University’s mission of creating solutions for a healthier community.
The University of North Texas Health Science Center is located in the heart of Fort Worth’s Cultural District on a 33-acre campus immediately adjacent to nationally recognized museums, the Will Rogers Memorial Center campus and the soon-to-be completed Dickies Arena. With almost 2,300 students and over 300 faculty, UNTHSC is a comprehensive academic medical center awarding 712 medical, doctoral, masters and professional degrees annually. UNTHSC is Colleges and major components of UNTHSC include the Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, School of Public Health, School of Health Professions, UNT System College of Pharmacy, UNT Health, Texas Christian University and UNTHSC School of Medicine (opening July 2019, pending accreditation). UNTHSC is a complex and innovative organization with over 1,400 FTEs, a budget of over $300 million, and is proud to be a leader in interprofessional training and collaboration and interdisciplinary research, generating over $40 million of external research funding yearly.
Originally founded in 1993, the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences is proud to shape the future of the biomedical workforce by providing high quality education and training of Ph.D. and masters students to become the educators, researchers and professionals of tomorrow. Enrollment and academic programs at GSBS have grown considerably over the past 25 years, with over 300 students pursuing education and training in four specialized masters programs and eight traditional masters and doctoral programs.Through the guidance and mentorship of the School’s 99 faculty, students are able to earn advanced degrees while working closely with world-renowned faculty researchers utilizing state-of-the-art technology and training methods to tackle such major biomedical problems as cancer, cardiovascular disease, infectious disease, and Alzheimer’s disease. At present, specialized masters programs in GSBS include Biotechnology, Clinical Research Management, Forensic Genetics, and Medical Sciences. Traditional masters and doctoral programs in the School include Biochemistry and Cancer Biology; Cell Biology, Immunology, and Microbiology; Genetics; Integrative Physiology; Pharmaceutical Sciences and Pharmacotherapy; Pharmacology and Neuroscience; Structural Anatomy and Rehabilitation Sciences (Ph.D. Only); and Visual Sciences. Graduates of GSBS are recruited by the top research laboratories in the nation, both in academia and industry.
Reporting to the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences is responsible for leading the faculty, staff, and students to develop and advance the mission and vision of the School. As chief academic and executive officer of the School, the Dean is responsible for the overall direction, oversight, and quality of the educational and research missions of the School. In addition, The Dean is responsible for all matters relating to the administration of the School, including curriculum, faculty, staff, students, facilities, resources, alumni and fundraising. The Dean will create and implement plans to enhance extramural funding, provide exceptional educational programs and provide teaching support to UNTHSC schools and colleges. The plans will include increasing student success through career readiness in academia, industry or other opportunities for scientists. The Dean is responsible for the effective fiscal stewardship and management of the School’s $12 million annual budget.
For additional information about the University of North Texas Health Science Center and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, please visit https://unthsc.edu.
- An earned doctorate and scholarly activity and educational achievement commensurate for appointment as a tenured full professor in the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences
- A demonstrated track record of collaborative leadership, and proven commitment to fostering an environment conducive to increased interdisciplinary research and interdisciplinary educational initiatives by achieving outcomes in complicated, changing, multifaceted environments.
- A results-oriented leadership style coupled with the ability and poise to develop and implement a strategy to create a world-class Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- The ability to establish a vision of the future that motivates optimal productivity and collaborations within the school and the institution.
- A history of substantial and consistent extramural research funding in biomedical sciences.
- Prior experience in a leadership role in an academic setting.
- A commitment to the role of diversity in building excellence in education and research.
- A national and/or international reputation.
- The ability to communicate and work with others within and outside the organization.
- A strong understanding of the current and emerging issues in higher education and research and how they may potentially impact the mission and goals of the School and UNTHSC.
- The ability to schedule and set priorities, handle multiple concurrent activities, work within a budget, manage projects and people, meet deadlines and get positive results.
- A management style that encourages collegiality, teamwork, participation, communication, mentoring, and a service orientation.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, excellent writing proficiency, professional appearance, and an executive demeanor.
- The ability to delegate responsibility to senior subordinates allowing them to identify the ways and means to accomplish specific strategic and operational goals and objectives.
- Leadership skills as characterized by one who possesses a broad vision of the future of health care and assertiveness in taking risks and presenting and selling ideas, while also possessing a mature sensitivity to the values and expectations of others.
Application / Nomination Process
The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications immediately and will continue to accept applications and nominations until the position is filled. Applicants must submit a current curriculum vitae and a letter of interest describing relevant experience and interest in the position. Nomination letters should include the name, position, address and telephone number of the nominee. All nominations and applications will be handled in confidence.
Applications and letters of nomination should be submitted to:
Alberto Pimentel, Managing Partner
Navid Nakai, Senior Associate
Storbeck/Pimentel & Associates
6512 Painter Avenue
Whittier, CA 90601
Refer to code “UNTHSC-DGSBS” in subject line
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
More search results
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs @ UC Blue Ash
University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College
Missouri State University
RESIDENCE HALL DIRECTOR
Missouri State University
Executive Director of the BB&T Center for the Stu…
Wake Forest University
Assistant or Associate Professor of Applied Exerc…
Texas Christian University