- Barnard College
- New York, NY
Barnard College, one of the nation’s leading liberal arts colleges, is seeking an individual with exceptional operational and interpersonal capabilities and an orientation towards superb customer service to lead as the College’s Vice President for Campus Services (VP).
Barnard College has been a distinguished leader in higher education for women for over 125 years and is one of the most sought after private liberal arts colleges in the nation. Founded in 1889, the College was the first in New York City, and one of the few in the country, where women could receive the same rigorous liberal arts education available to men. Its partnership with Columbia University, a great research university; its setting in New York City; and its unwavering dedication to the advancement of women make Barnard unique among the educational opportunities open to today’s young women.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the VP provides institutional direction and leadership for physical plant, public safety and other business activities including: integrated facilities and capital planning; oversight of major construction projects, renovation, and routine maintenance of Barnard’s facilities; sustainability initiatives; public safety and emergency management; and events management and conference services, among other areas of responsibility.
The successful candidate for this role will embody and instill a superior customer service orientation. A Bachelor’s degree is required, as is a minimum of 10 years of demonstrated senior level experience in the management of operations and business affairs, including the management of major capital projects and at least 5 or more years managing exempt and non-exempt employees. A graduate degree is preferred as is experience in an academic or related environment. Experience with managing employees in collective bargaining units is highly preferred.
In addition, the incoming VP will possess many of the following abilities, attributes, and experiences:
Excellent skills in planning, implementing and controlling programs, including capital projects, and in managing staff in a wide variety of administrative areas;
- Excellent communication, presentation, and negotiating skills; ability to represent the College effectively to a wide variety of constituencies and audiences;
- Proven ability to lead a team with diverse skills and responsibilities in a cohesive, collaborative, and productive manner;
- Demonstrated ability to use technology to gather, interpret, analyze, and present data; Strong computer skills, including the development of complex spreadsheets, implementation of work order systems or room reservation programs, and use of AutoCAD software;
- Experience in strategic, long-range and short-range planning and program implementation;
- Within the context of an organization’s goals and mission, capability to maximize revenue and space usage through events, conferences, and/or property management;
- Ability to multi-task effectively and change priorities as required;
- Demonstrated knowledge of government regulations regarding Environmental Health & Safety issues;
- A commitment to a customer service, data-driven approach to decision-making and problem-solving;
- Success in attracting, developing, and mentoring a team of professionals;
- A commitment to diversity and inclusion and an ability to connect with others and cultivate relationships based on mutual trust and respect, collegiality, and kindness.
Barnard College has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this search. The full position description is posted here. Please submit applications, expressions of interest, and nominations to Andy Evans and Tom Phillips here.
Barnard College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Barnard does not discriminate due to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability, or any other legally protected basis, and to the extent permitted by law. Qualified candidates of diverse ethnic and racial backgrounds are encouraged to apply for vacant positions at all levels.
More search results
Dean, College of Liberal Arts
The University of Texas at Austin
Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs
University of California, Irvine
Instructor in Exercise Science #123210
University of West Florida
Lecturer in Music/Assistant Director for Academic…
Texas Christian University
Director of Data Analytics
Johns Hopkins University