Dean, College of Optometry
University of Houston
Dean of the College of Optometry
The University of Houston invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of the College of Optometry, a diverse College that is a leader in excellent and innovative optometric and graduate education, cutting-edge biomedical research in vision, and the practice of evidence-based optometry. The College of Optometry is committed to training future optometrists to serve communities in Texas and throughout the world, as well as vision scientists who make significant discoveries that advance our understanding of the visual system and shape clinical practice patterns. Located in the major commercial and cultural center of Houston Texas, the 4th largest city in the US, the College of Optometry ranks among the top schools and colleges of optometry in North America. The College of Optometry is a major contributor to The University of Houston System’s educational, research, and scholarship missions and achievements. The University of Houston enhances the quality of life in the region through its public service activities, is an engine driving economic development, is nationally competitive, and globally significant.
Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, the Dean is the College’s chief academic and administrative officer. The Dean provides intellectual leadership and vision, and is responsible for overseeing the College’s strategic, operational, and financial direction. The Dean also collaborates with faculty, staff, students, alumni and supporters to advance the excellence of programs and activities. As the College’s senior leader within University governance, the Dean also functions as the lead representative for both internal and external constituencies. These constituencies include the University community, the optometric community, national and international partners, and the public.
Specific Job Posting Information
• Earned terminal degree(s) in a field or fields related to the College’s missions.
• Substantial experience in three of the following 4 key academic areas: teaching, research, service, and the clinical practice of optometry.
• Proven track record of administrative experience and success.
• A distinguished professional record and exemplary intellectual leadership experience, combined with the capacity to manage an academic enterprise within a large, dynamic public university.
• A visionary leader with a transformative and inclusive leadership style who has the ability to collaborate successfully with faculty, staff, students, alumni and other partners to sustain creativity, innovation, and progress.
• An established commitment to promote excellence in education, basic, clinical and translational research, clinical training and patient care, and engagement with community and industry partners.
• A proven track record of scholarly activity and securing external funding.
• An understanding of Optometry’s role in a complex healthcare system.
• Experience in healthcare administration.
• A proven record of effective and dynamic fiscal planning, budget management, and fundraising.
• A strong commitment to shared governance.
• Experience with the accreditation process of the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE).
Confidential applications and nominations will be accepted until the position is filled. Candidate screening will begin immediately. For best consideration, applications and nominations should be provided no later than September 4, 2018. A complete application will include a letter describing relevant experiences and interest in the position, current curriculum vitae, and the names of five references with titles, mailing addresses, business/home telephone numbers, and email addresses. All documents should be submitted in pdf format. Individuals who wish to nominate a candidate should submit a letter of nomination, including the name, position, address, telephone number, and email address of the nominee. Greenwood/Asher & Associates (GAA), an executive search firm, is assisting the University of Houston in the search.
Applications and letters of nominations should be submitted to:
Jan Greenwood, Betty Turner Asher, Partners
Joe Stanley, Executive Search Consultant
Greenwood/Asher & Associates, Inc.
42 Business Centre Drive, Suite 206
Miramar Beach, Florida 32550
Phone: 850-650-2277 / Fax: 850-650-2272
More search results
Faculty Positions in Electrical and Computer Engi…
Missouri University of Science and Technology
Term-tenure track position in Public History with…
Term-tenure track position in Public History with expertise in post-1865 United States History
Dean, School of Economics and Business
Saint Mary's College of California
Lecturer Technology Liason
University of North Carolina Wilmington