Assistant Professor of Computer Graphics/Graphic Design
The College of Arts & Sciences at Dakota State University invites applications for a full-time, 9-month Assistant Professor of Computer Graphics/Graphic Design in the Digital Arts and Design (DAD) program. The start date of this position is Fall 2023.
We are seeking an energetic and experienced design educator with expertise in visual problem-solving and a thorough understanding of the role of design in today’s society. The successful candidate will teach design fundamentals, creation of graphics for web & print including raster and vector graphics, ideation strategies, and/or course topics in graphic design, typography, design history, layout, and identity systems or content related to expertise. Candidates with expertise in design history, typography, motion graphics, digital illustration, UX/UI, and/or AR/VR are encouraged to apply.
Preference will be given to applicants with experience using innovative teaching strategies and teaching with technology at the undergraduate level. In addition to teaching, other duties include student advising, engagement in research and/or creative work, and service to the university. Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to mentor students are expected. An interest in collaborating with sound design, animation, and game design is desirable.
DSU’s Digital Arts and Design department confers a Bachelor of Science in Digital Arts and Design (DAD). Students choose one of three specializations: Computer Graphics, Digital Sound Design, or Production Animation. Ten full-time faculty members teach foundation through upper-division undergraduate digital design courses.
- An M.F.A. in Computer Graphics or Graphic Design from an accredited institution or relevant industry experience.
- Effective written, oral, and interpersonal skills.
- Interpersonal communication skills to mentor students both creatively and technically.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Active record of professional design experience and/or design research.
- Experience in design history, typography, motion graphics, digital illustration, UX/UI, or AR/VR
- College-level teaching experience.
- Primary responsibilities include teaching undergraduate courses in art foundations and digital graphics.
- Producing creative works and/or publishing relevant scholarship.
- Active pursuit of grant and funding opportunities.
- Additional duties may include advising students, serving on university committees, assisting with recruitment activities and/or engaging in ongoing assessment.
- Flexible benefits package – including paid sick leave, health and retirement benefits
- Life and disability insurance options
- Reduced tuition and training opportunities
- Professional liability coverage
About the DSU College of Arts & Sciences:
Technology is front and center in our arts and sciences programs at Dakota State University. Our state-of-the-art facilities include numerous computer and science labs, and instructional use of various learning technologies are expected in the classroom.
The College of Arts & Sciences touches every student enrolled at DSU by providing the bulk of the general education courses. Additionally, the College of Arts & Sciences offers exciting majors such as Computer Game Design, Digital Arts & Design, Cyber Leadership, Biology, Math, Analytical Science, and English for New Media.
The college provides students with the education to excel in any career. DSU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
How to apply:
To apply, visit https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site will allow the attachment of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, transcripts, professional design portfolio (as document or web link), and contact information for at least three professional references. You many also include examples of student work.
For full consideration, please submit all materials by June 1, 2023. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
About Dakota State University:
DSU is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The region boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a life-style possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is just a 50-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid sick leave, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition and training opportunities. DSU also provides professional liability coverage.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
DSU is committed to equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.
More search results
Lowell Chair in Economic Geology
University of Arizona
Assistant Director of Enrollment
SCAD - Savannah College of Art and Design
Dean of the College of Arts and Letters
San Diego State University
Vice Chancellor for Research and Economic Develop…
University of Mississippi
Administrative Assistant for Campus Safety (Onsit…
The Claremont Colleges Services